1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can somebody explain to me why 1st gens are so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
good lookin' trucks, but horrible ride, no interior room, weak injection pump and weak trannies... I think I've owned my last first gen!
I resent that remark Forrest. Look at my sig. I still have a VE injection pump and a stock Getrag tranny. Oh yeah it looks like I am making a bit more HP than you too. I couldn’t resist. You are right about one thing the ride does have something to be desired.

P.S If you recall I bought a 26cm housing from you quiet a while back. I don’t know if I ever thanked you for it so thank you it works great.

Back to the subject on hand. I paid $11,000 for mine back in 1998 and it only had 76,000 miles on it. It now has 215,000 miles on it and it has never ran better. I did buy complete chassis for $4000 back in 2002 maybe. I think I got the raw end of the deal on that one. I know better now.

Stomp
Old 07-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

I'm 6'4"... no way I could drive a 5sp single cab 1st gen... my knees were in the dash on my 91... and a club cab long bed is a little long for my taste...

they sure are good lookin' trucks though!!!

glad the housing worked out for ya!

Forrest
Old 07-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
What makes them so good? It's SAFE

Originally posted by timb
Let me see, Why are first gen.'s so expensive? cause they are worth it. Come on man. they are the nicest pick-ups ever made But I really think that people are buying them up because of the reliability of truck itself. and that is causing the prices to go up. look at the mileage that we are getting out of these old girls.I just had my radiator rodded out yesterday. the guy that did the job said that it was ready for a good cleaning, but with over 240.000 miles on it, the radiator was in excellent shape.
Let me see, Why are first gen.'s so expensive? cause they are worth it. Come on man. they are the nicest pick-ups ever made
You forgot to mention that these trucks are SAFE! These trucks are real sheetmetal not plastic front ends that flip up like the other ones do.
When I drive down the freeway I feel safe and know I can take on any other vehicle around me and come out the winner.
The safety and the weight actually was one of the factors in wanting this truck, My last truck was a 1991 Chevy 1 ton diesel and it was nice and it was my work truck, It weighed 9000# loaded anyway I was sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake and this guy celebrating St.Patricks Day early hit me square in the rear end. He was going 55 MPH and never applied his brakes. I stopped him in less than 3 feet to a dead stop. He was in a 1995 1/2 ton chevy plastic truck. Oh his transmission bellhousing was next to his right knee.
This is what gave me the excuse to buy my D-350 it had to be heavy and be made out of steel.
Fast foreward a few years and here I am with my family going down the freeway in my dually and suddenley it comes to a stop, so I come to a stop and looking in the mirror I said "hold on he is not going to make it"... He didn't now I have two trucks planted into my back bumper first a Nissan Hard Body and then a Toyota, both hit at 55 MPH. I totaled both of them and light damage to mine. My right frame rail was moved 3mm.
So I can faithfully say that a heavy truck has saved my life 2 times.
I could be wrong but I do not think the second and third generation trucks have this much survivability.
My son and his wife had a 2000 Ram 1500 ton pickup with a gasser and I am sorry to say but that truck was falling apart and things kept going wrong. It went through 4 pairs of front rotors, bearings,sensors, the air conditioning went out and when you turned a corner you could hear something sloshing in the dash. The front spoiler fell off, a kid ran into the side and it cost over $1,000.00 to fix it.
And who invented those club cab doors? Try to close them without chipping the paint.
Anyway they got rid of that thing a couple of months ago and bought a 2005 Ram with the Hemi..
Now I will have to admit this thing is impressive so far.

BTW there is alot more involved to take a 2500 gasser chassis and drop in CTD, starting at the front bumper: suspension, cooling system, engine mounts, trans, drive line, electrical, insturmentation just for starters and the last time I ask about the price, West Covina Dodge said it was around $10,000.00 for a crate engine from cummins give or take a few.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by apwatson50
I totally agree with you. It cracks me up when you see people selling their 1 year old truck in the paper for more than you can get a brand new one off the dealer lot also.
I see alot of gassers that way out here but I think the reason is that the dealer will do anything they can to get you into the truck,
They pimp it out with rims and monitors then drive it around for about 6 months till they can no longer make the payments so they try to sell it off one step ahead of being reposessed.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 AM

I understand these trucks are a good all around truck, but prices around this area are almost 2-3000 more than Kelly Blue Book. I will pay 7,000 for a decent truck, but it seems there is no middle ground. I have found a 93 reg cab for 7,500 with 72,000 miles on the clock, and the next one has over 190,000 and its 8,000 bucks.

Im not complaining, I had a 1990 d350, CTD when I first started driving, and i loved that truck. I will pay fair value, but I refuse to pay 13,500 bucks for a 92 with 123k, and so has everyone else at this point, cause its on ebay every other week.

Jim Lane, same thing happened in our dually. A kid hit me square in the rear. The truck had a large chrome step bumper, and all it did was dent the end where the frame rail met it, his 80's Cutlass was junk in the front end.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm 6'4"... no way I could drive a 5sp single cab 1st gen
I am pushing 6'5" and can't buy trousers east of the Mississippi (for some reason Carhart doesn't think anyone on the east coast needs an inseam longer than 34"), but I find my truck cab reasonably comfortable I thought that the second Gens had smaller cabs anyway

That said, I would love a six speed transmission and a p-pump. I muight even take a Dana 80 hybrid, but give me king pins and spindles over unit hubs, ball joints, and track bars any day! Not to mention you can actually reach things under hte hood, and only have an ABS module on the rear. I also have a problem with any truck that has the transfer case drop on the wrong side . Not to mention the new trucks seem to rust out worse up here than the old ones .

That said, I would not pay over $7k for a truck with over 200,000 miles. I also would not use anything but a p-pumped engine in a swap.

It's only my opinion, tho'.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Alec, is yours a 5sp?

I hear ya on leaves/king pins/etc... and on underhood room! (although there seems to be less room for twins in a 1st gen )

but do yourself a favor, don't ever sit in a 2nd or 3rd gen!!!! my 97 had WAY more interior room than my 91!!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:16 PM

here we go again!
on my way home from my office after a long hard day in the sun pounding nails, i drove through a local mobile home park here in Modesto, CA, and I found 4 1st gen's!!! Can you believe it? 4! count them 1, 2, 3, 4!!! Told ya so! I've never even been to this park before and I was in goose-bump heaven! 2 '92's and 2 93's. 3 are 4x4's with 2 at and 1 5 spd, and 1 4x2 5 spd . All are club cabs! the 4x2 is a dually club cab 5 speed, black with tan and only has 94k miles on it! How much? He asked me to make him an offer. So, I jokingly said $4500! He said how about $5k. I said done! Needless to say, I went to the bank and yada yada yada! Sorry suckers, but I've been wanting a dually for years! you can eat off the floor in this thing its so freakin' clean! My brother one of the 4x4's with an at that is dark forest green with grey interior and a custom leather 40/20/40 aftermarket split bench! There are 2 more left and I bet ifyou ask nicely these "mature" gentlemen just might make you the deal of your life! 3 of the gentlemen could not longer either hop up into the 4x4's or could not longer put in the clutch. So, how much did my brother pay? guess! go on guess! How does $5500 sound?! Yep, killer grey and white and just as clean as mine!.
The other two are 4x4's, both 5 spds and might go for a good price, too. No telling!
On another note, one of my guys who works for me just purchased a 4x4 93 5spd club cab in great condition(not as good as mine or my brothers!) and he thought he got a good deal at $12k! To him it is a good deal. Heck, no monthly payments, a killer truck, plenty of room and $$$ to modify with since no monthly payments, and it looks freakin' killer!
So, quit your whinin' and go a findin'!!!! hehe! good luck!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To anybody looking for a first gen, I have a 91 4x4 reg cab with all maintenance records dating back to 91. It has 235K on it and I would drive it anywhere. Anything that had wear on it has been replaced (except for the tires). The body is not perfect. It has a few dings and scratches, but it looks really good. I have pictures of it available. I bought a 97 to restore in Jan, and have pretty much finished it. It has 76K on it and you wouldn't believe what all I have replaced on it. It is like a new one now. I need to put a track bar on it now. That will make a complete new front end. Anyway, I don't want a mint for mine, I suppose 5800 would do. I guess it is all where you look. I am in S. Ga though. You rarely ever see one of these trucks and hardly anybody knows anything about them around here. I don't have it listed for sale anywhere, just thought I would chime in since this thread kind of pertained to me
Take care and good luck!
Chris
Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 PM

I am ready to sell my 1993 2wd dual wheel 262000 miles too just dont know what its worth kbb said 5310.00 is that a fair price i quess ill stick a sign in the window and see
Michigan • July 22, 2005
1993 Dodge 350 Pickup Club Cab Long Bed

Engine: 6 Cyl. Turbo Diesel
Trans: Automatic
Drive: 2WD
Mileage: 262,500

Equipment
LE
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Dual Rear Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Fair
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings | List This Car for Sale $5,310
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:29 PM

I bought mine for 9500.00 a year ago... It had 150k on it when I bought it..

Old 07-26-2005, 07:08 PM

Man that is a good lookin truck! I'd give my left you know what for that thing!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't give mine, but I would give all of my neighbors both left and right.
That is a nice looking rig.
Jim
BTW that sure does not look like smoggy california there>
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Hey Eng208, I shot you a PM on your truck, I am looking for a first gen and only live about 70 miles away.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 PM

luck helps too

I just picked up my 93' D250 Extra Cab with 231K for 3150.00 on ebay. The second owner has had it for about a month, the previous owner, retired navy, bought it new, threw a camper in the bed and started racking them up. Almost no surface rust and runs like a top. My first, 1st gen. If I sunk 4K into it, MINT!

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain to me why 1st gens are so expensive?