1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can somebody explain to me why 1st gens are so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can somebody explain to me why 1st gens are so expensive?

I've been looking for a 1st gen high and low and I've found quite a few but they are either in top mint shape and wanting a ridiculous price of $12000+ or the truck is a total piece of crap and they still want 6-9000 bucks?! What gives? I looked at a truck last night with 390,000kms and the body was terrible (rust, paint cracking) and the guy wanted $9500?! Mind you he didn't know what he truck was worth so he went by what everybody else was selling theirs for. Its worth maybe $5000-$6000. The drivetrain is solid but the body is horrendous.

I went and looked at another 1st gen tonight. 307,000kms it had hints of rust, some paint peeling and a few dings. The guy still wanted $8500 obo.

I don't understand it. A 13 year old truck with a lot of KMs on it with body damage is worth that much? It can't be, sure its got the cummins (which is what I'm in for really) and its diesel but come on? How can these trucks be for sale for so much?

Sorry for my rant
NoSparkplugs
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Where are you located in canada?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:42 PM

maybe they are becoming collector items? I don't know how people can ask that much for a 13 year old truck! My dad paid like 12k for his but that was probably7-8 years ago and it only had 120k(miles) on it. paid 4k for mine 2years ago with 260k, my sister paid $5500 for her's couple years ago with 260k. None of these were really in bad shape a few dings minor dents, no major rust or anything. Dry colorado weather keeps things in pretty decent shape other than the crap they put on the roads in the winter.

My dad just picked up a 92 auto for 3K from a mechanic cause they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. just the fusible links need replaced probably. Could be the IP but even if it is thats still only 4K for a good truck. It needs a grill and a front fender and a paint job to make it look nice but no rust.

I was at an auction last summer and there was a 97 5spd extended cab with probably 200k+ that sold for 6-7 thousand.

So all of these are really alot cheaper than what everybody else is wanting for these things. You all need to come down here and go shopping for some trucks.

Aaron
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 PM

I'm in Alberta, also known as land of the trucks. Would that really make a difference in price? Where are you from? You 1st gen looks freakin' awesome.

Apwatson,
****! I wish I lived in Colorado. It sounds like these things sell for what they should be sold for!

I can see $6000 or less but anything more is rediculous in my book. Call me cheap but no truck with a zillion kms and body damage thats 12-16 years old isn't worth more than 6 grand.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Kalif there pertty rare let alone in decent shape. Theres been a few 93s here for a decent price. The latest was a 93 club cab 2wd,auto,87K looked real nice for 7K. 4x4s are 8K+ in any shape it seems, way overpriced IMO.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 PM

NoSparkPlugs

I'm from BC and there really expensive here too. I paid $8000 Can. from my uncle and that was a good deal for the shape of the truck. All i did was lift it up and put rims and tires on it, and of course added mods.......

My friend here got a beatup truck with a crap body for $5000. That was the cheapest he could find.....320,000 kms

Happy searching and good luck

Jeff
Old 07-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
First Generation $$$

[IMG] [/IMG]

Try to find a truck in Southern California, I seldom see one and they are usually in pretty bad shape. I bought mine in 1999 after my last accident and I paid $14,000.00 cash for it. I checked in the local papers and I found mine in the recycler paper. I had to drive about 80 miles to get it but it was the one I wanted. It was pretty much in "good shape" but the interior was bad and it had alot of little things he tried to fix where he should have left it alone.
The first thing I did when I got home was to gut out the inside and get a new interior, seats, carpet and headliner.
To date I have spent over $10,000.00 to get it to where I am today. The most expensive single thing I did would probably be the paint job.
The only thing I wish diffrent is that it could also be a CREW CAB
I never thought I would see the day I would pay $14,000.00 for a truck when I remember gas for .23/ gallon, diesel for .10/ gallon and the houses when I got married were $12,000 for a NEW house.
BTW that was 31 years ago yesterday 07/20/1974

Good luck in finding your truck. I kinda think if you take care of them, 1st. Generation trucks would be an investment, they are not getting any cheaper.
Jim.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 AM

well happy anniversary Jim!!

All the trucks I listed above are all 4x4, and I would call them all pretty much in good shape, not mint or anything they had all been used but pretty well taken care of. What I would expect for a 13 year old truck. Man I should buy them up here and ship them out to where you guys are and make a few bucks
Old 07-21-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me see, Why are first gen.'s so expensive? cause they are worth it. Come on man. they are the nicest pick-ups ever made But I really think that people are buying them up because of the reliability of truck itself. and that is causing the prices to go up. look at the mileage that we are getting out of these old girls.I just had my radiator rodded out yesterday. the guy that did the job said that it was ready for a good cleaning, but with over 240.000 miles on it, the radiator was in excellent shape.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM

sellin mine for $6000 if your will'n to drive a bit cause im in texas!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Everyone thinks they have a gold mine. Its sad when a truck that is over 13-15 years old can sell for the same price that a 2000-2001 v-8 can. I am getting sick and tired of seeing pictures of 1st gen's with better than 250k for $10,000 plus. You would be cheaper off to get a used 3/4 with no engine, and do the swap with a new warrantied engine. The engine may be worthy of a decent price, but with a history of tranny concerns and front end problems, these trucks are nothing special. I recently saw a local add for a great shape 1992 w250, with 89k on the clock, 13,500 bucks (its on autotrader now) and a 2001 24v, same options etc with 130k for 16,900. Come on people.

I still want an old body style, just am not gonna pay new truck price for one.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 PM

I totally agree with you. It cracks me up when you see people selling their 1 year old truck in the paper for more than you can get a brand new one off the dealer lot also.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

good lookin' trucks, but horrible ride, no interior room, weak injection pump and weak trannies... I think I've owned my last first gen!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:25 PM

To those who complain about the costs, don't buy one! Buy a 2nd gen. For those of us who own a 1st gen should feel good that we made a good investment:not only to drive but the cost is driven up as well.
I'm a general contractor by trade. I no longer do work for clients: i purchase old houses/buildings and remodel them myself. Its just like 1st gens, you can buy these at a "low"(reasonable) price, and re-sell them at a higher cost to make a little money.
Heck, I purchased my '93 D-250 club cab AT fully loaded from the original owner, a neighbor whom I went with the day he purchased it!, and I paid $7k. I am now getting pieces of paper on my truck asking if I want to sell it and I'm seeing prices way over $9k! I just sit back and laugh, because I know that when I am ready to buy a new(er) truck, I've got money in the bank!
I'll throw this hint out to those of you who are looking for a 1st no matter WHERE you live: spend your next couple-a-few days off wondering around different neighborhoods. Hint: especially mobile home parks! There! I just gave a secret away! Most of these 1st genners were purchased by older gentlemen back in the early 90's who would pull their 5th wheels or trailers and they also LIVE in mobile home parks!
There! Now that I've give out my secret to my fellow "brethern", no more (whining) and go get one!!!! hehehe! good luck, and report back when you find yours!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM

i can put the truth into what cdodgeguy says. my truck came from my wifes grandfather who bought the truck new in 92 to pull his new 5th wheel. he only put 29,000 miles on it then my father in law brought it up to 98,000 commuting! i got a deal that most won't ever see (after a 6 point buck jumped in front of our car last thankgiving) he sold it to me for $1!!!! needless to say i was excited. but when i started to look around i saw guys were asking around 10,000 for a truck that was in much worse shape than mine. but there are a few guys on here that have found them for $400-$500.... chances are they need some work but then you get to make it the way you want it. i saw one 2-3 weeks ago for $2000 (90 5speed 2wd non ic) but only like 160k on it. there are some good deals out there but chances are they aren't advertised. so drive around (go to campgrounds too) and offer like $4000 some of these guys think it's only worth like $2000 so they may take it.

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain to me why 1st gens are so expensive?