1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cadillac Electric Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadillac Electric Cooling Fan

Well I have my truck all apart and just about ready to remove engine.What I am thinking about doing is putting an electric cooling fan in like another member on here did. He used a Dodge Caravan electric cooling fan.I figure while I have this all apart I would research the electric fan idea. I'm thinking maybe a set up from a Cadillac or similar vehicle so it would have enough air movement. What is every one's thoughts on this and do you think it would work? I measured radiator and I believe it was 27 in. plus wide and I believe 21 in. plus tall. Don't have exact dimensions with me. I'm guessing a large fan like's what's on a Caddy should work great. Thoughts??????
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Ford Taurus's are the best blowing fans out there..
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Even better than a Caddy? That's interesting!! You wouldn't think that. Have you thought about this possibility also? I figured since I had my rig dismantled I would research this. I looked on car-parts.com to get an idea on cost but they don't specify electric fan motor and assembly. I will try Ford Taursus and see what happens. I should gain some HP by going electric and eliminating stock fan set up.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
when converting to electric fans, do you guys eliminate the fan pulley at all and use a shorter belt? would there be any disadvantage leaving it on? not having to find a shorter belt would save time and some money. if so, where could you get that shorter belt?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BRUISER
Ford Taurus's are the best blowing fans out there..

Actually, the Lincoln MK-VIII are the biggest/best, but their size/thickness does not work well within the close confines between the Dodge radiator and Cummins engine.

Taurus fans are about half the size and thus TWO of them can be oriented such that the thick parts of the fans miss the offending parts of the engine.

I used to think differently, but I have decided that GOOD electric-fans are the way to go, not so much for power/mileage gains, but to keep high volumes of air coming across the various condensors, radiators, coolers, etc., when the engine is at low RPMs and the truck is at slow speeds.

Once the truck gets to moving 35-MPH or faster, there is plenty of air movement, with or without a fan; it is at the low speeds and sitting still when a fan is so important.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm usin one out of an Chevy SSR. Has 2 speeds and Haven't had a problem at all, The high will not come one unless I'm sitting in traffic or "hot rodding", my low is always on as well as my a/c. I didn't build a custom shroud I just fabed up some brackets and a harness will some big relays. I would think it would work even better if I had a shroud, and if I ever have a problem with heat then that will be what I do. Also it should be noted that I don't to anything but me and a fat wife, a couple of kids and a few dogs.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM

I forgot to put in my original post that my truck is an every day commuter and I will be pulling my 25 ft. travel trailer. It weighs about 6,500 lbs. plus the wife and two boys and other junk you haul to go camping. I don't fill my water storage tanks when I travel and I dump black/grey tanks before leaving campground. Would electric fans support a set up like I have? I figure you would need at least 5500 cfm of air running across the radiator/condenser/ic. I am adding an under bed trans cooler with fan so that will not be in the air flow of radiator.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I installed dual 16” electric fans in front of the A/C condenser for the primary purpose of maintaining airflow through my condenser when I am in traffic or for when the truck is stationary idling for any extended time, as it will also help to push fresh cooler air through the engine compartment.

Since I have installed these fans my air conditioner is much cooler in stop and go traffic.

I can now start my truck and turn on the A/C and within a few minuets it is as cold inside as if I was moving down the highway.

For now they are controlled through a relay and it comes on automatically when the A/C compressor is engaged but I still have to install a switch inside the cab for manual control.

I might try and remove the cooling fan and see how the temps run with the electrics only, they are pushing about 5000 CFM when working in tandem.

I looked on e-Bay for the fans and this company sells there but the reason that I went with Procomp and not the cheaper ones is because I need to rely on these and I won’t trust my engine with a $12.00 fan or a used one. I also have redundancy with 2 fans also this company is only about 15 miles from my house down by Ontario Airport I walked in and bought them over the counter.

http://www.procompelectronics.com/in...oduct_id=36842

Just a thought but if I really needed the electricity after I was going down the hiway I could flip a switch and the fans would now become generators and I would have some free electricity. Like I really need it.

Jim
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I talked to Onemoparnut out at the Buck last night, he has pulled a 7k load with his without issues. Said he flogged it pretty good trying to get it hot but did not succeed.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Dave is he the one who used a fan from a Dodge caravan? That's encouraging because when all is said and done that's about what I am guessing I would be pulling. Every thing else would be just your every day pick up use kinda thing. I'm hoping the fan would help also with my a/c cooling with all the heat here in North Carolina.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I installed dual 16” electric fans in front of the A/C condenser for the primary purpose of maintaining airflow through my condenser when I am in traffic or for when the truck is stationary idling for any extended time, as it will also help to push fresh cooler air through the engine compartment.

Since I have installed these fans my air conditioner is much cooler in stop and go traffic.

I can now start my truck and turn on the A/C and within a few minuets it is as cold inside as if I was moving down the highway.

For now they are controlled through a relay and it comes on automatically when the A/C compressor is engaged but I still have to install a switch inside the cab for manual control.

I might try and remove the cooling fan and see how the temps run with the electrics only, they are pushing about 5000 CFM when working in tandem.

I looked on e-Bay for the fans and this company sells there but the reason that I went with Procomp and not the cheaper ones is because I need to rely on these and I won’t trust my engine with a $12.00 fan or a used one. I also have redundancy with 2 fans also this company is only about 15 miles from my house down by Ontario Airport I walked in and bought them over the counter.

http://www.procompelectronics.com/in...oduct_id=36842

Just a thought but if I really needed the electricity after I was going down the hiway I could flip a switch and the fans would now become generators and I would have some free electricity. Like I really need it.

Jim
is there an infamous jim lane write up installing the fans?