1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cab corner speakers inop part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab corner speakers inop part II

Today I had a chance to investigate the wiring a little. The wiring from the back of the radio to the rear speaker plugs is good (checked continuity). So I thought I would take the radio from the auto truck (which I know works), stick it in the 5 spd truck, and go from there. Well what I discovered is the "good" radio did the same thing as the "bad" radio. The fade ***** (of either radio) seem to have no effect in the 5 spd truck. You can turn the **** but the front speakers recieve the same power all the time. Balance right to left works fine. It has to be wiring somewhere, but where do I go from here. Any radio experts out there?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save yourself some headache, rewire the speakers, these trucks dont have best wiring.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by PeytonMaterne
Today I had a chance to investigate the wiring a little. The wiring from the back of the radio to the rear speaker plugs is good (checked continuity). So I thought I would take the radio from the auto truck (which I know works), stick it in the 5 spd truck, and go from there. Well what I discovered is the "good" radio did the same thing as the "bad" radio. The fade ***** (of either radio) seem to have no effect in the 5 spd truck. You can turn the **** but the front speakers recieve the same power all the time. Balance right to left works fine. It has to be wiring somewhere, but where do I go from here. Any radio experts out there?
So when you use the fade **** in the 5 speed, nothing at all changes? Or do the rear speakers change volume? Sounds like the wires for the front and rear speakers are connected somewhere.

Any reason you care about the fade? Like loch said, I would just rewire them if it makes that much of a difference. Use 18 or 16 guage for speaker wire.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:11 PM
DBF

The FSM stereo-radio dual-speakers diagram shows a short cable from the black connector that plugs into the radio to another black connector that would be connected to the radio in a four-speaker truck. The function is to take all output to the two speakers.

If you look behind the radio and find a short cable with black connectors on each end, remove it and plug the remaining black plug into the radio. Now you should have stereo to the rear speaker plugs (if this dang diagram is correct).

Regards, DBF
Old 03-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for getting that one, DBF. I'm out of town so I don't have my trusty FSM. This thread has been like a sore tooth, because I knew somebody with an FSM could answer it in 5 minutes.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM

There was a short "splice" between the radio and the rest of the harness. I took it loose when I tested the wires for continuity. I will try eliminating it tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Thanks DBF, removing that short section of wiring did the trick. Couldn't wait till tomorrow to check it out. Now rear speakers have power, fade works properly. All is good.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:57 PM
DBF

Happy I could help... DBF
Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is old. but is what i was looking for

does anybody have a picture of this wiring under the dasH?? ???

rear speakers aren't working in the 93, it didnt have them factory
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM

I got it.

Wow dodge is so confusing. if you didn't have ANY rear speakers at all from the factory, the hid the wire/plug up behind the A/C duct BEHIND the dash cluster. so i pulled it out, hooked a speaker to it and SURE ENOUGH! nothin

so i found this little 8" long wire harness with 2 plugs, what it does is cut off power to the rear speakers i guess.

wow
Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 PM

i always had problems with this, much easier to run your own wires... how did the rear speakers mount? I'm sure my truck didn't have them (base model) or they were confiscated. I'd like to at least have an idea about how to go about it.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM

There is a steel plate with holes in it mounted in the cavity in the pillar. One mounting screw for it is behind the LE plastic trim panel inside. The other screw is in the door jamb. There are studs on the back of this panel to hold the speaker on with nuts. (on a 91.5 at least)
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM

yeah i've only owned a 85, 89 and 91. So i've never seen speakers, just extra wires. I usually run my own wires and put those pepboys 6x9 speaker box, as far in the hole as i can.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 PM

My 91.5 still has the crummy stock speakers in it.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
i always had problems with this, much easier to run your own wires... how did the rear speakers mount? I'm sure my truck didn't have them (base model) or they were confiscated. I'd like to at least have an idea about how to go about it.
that truck HAS the rear speaker wiring.

i hooked several speakers to it and could never figure out why it didn't work.

now i know.

you gotta take out that little inline wiring thing that dodge used to CUT power to the rear speakers, even if it had the wiring, but didn't have the speakers