1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cab corner speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab corner speakers?

I was reading some old posts and discovered that I have the wiring for the cab corner (4x10) speakers. My truck only came with speakers in the doors. I tried hooking up a functioning speaker but no luck on either side. The fade (front to rear) was set so they should work. I didn't have a lot of time to check it out today. Is there something else I should check for, or should it work as is?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Is it the factory radio?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DON'T USE 4 by 10'S! Or at least, THINK TWICE BEFORE SPENDING 5 HOURS TRYING TO FIND GOOD 4 BY 10's!

At any rate, 6 by 9's will work, and they're a lot easier to find then 4 by 10's. That way you get to use the same 4 speakers all the way around, too.

Now the 6 by 9's do require either a custom fabbed mount of some kind, or the stock mount with holes drilled in it. A custom fabbed mount could probably be made out of sheet steel or aluminum with minimal effort, but it would have required some funny angle bending and might have vibration issues, so I just drilled out a 6 by 9 hole pattern into the stock mount. With the stock mount, though, you do have to really squeeze the skinny ends of the speaker together to get it all the way back into the cab. It does fit, but I was a little concerned with squeezing the speaker. The Pioneers' I got are pretty beefy and up to the task, however. They wedged in their tight, but they sound good. (Vibrate now, you butt monkeys!)

And if you get new 6 by 9's for the doors, then I'd recommend to watch the depth of the speakers. I don't remember the exact depth, but my aftermarket speakers hardly fit, and they weren't the deepest available, so I'd watch out.

It bites, but I tore my 4 by 10's all up after I took them out. I'd wager that, if you just wanted stock ones, somebody's got a used set for cheap.

Which reminds me that I have a radio/ tapedeck for cheap if anybody want's it.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by PeytonMaterne
I was reading some old posts and discovered that I have the wiring for the cab corner (4x10) speakers. My truck only came with speakers in the doors. I tried hooking up a functioning speaker but no luck on either side. The fade (front to rear) was set so they should work. I didn't have a lot of time to check it out today. Is there something else I should check for, or should it work as is?
Did you find leads colored white/orange on one side and yellow/ltblue on the other with speaker-type connectors?

The FSM shows a green connector under the dash below the bulkhead connector that carries these leads from the radio to those speakers - is it there and connected?

DBF
Old 03-18-2006, 08:13 AM

Factory radio, I'll trace the wiring later and make sure everything is connected and go from there.