1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Busted Diff!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Busted Diff!

The Dodge is in the garage with a busted diff , pinion gear broke a tooth off, bizare to say the least, was just getting up to highway speed (empty as I usually am), trans shifted to OD, immediately heard a noise in the rear and the brake/ABS light came on. Pulled over and tried to figure out what happend? Good thing I was only about a kilometer from home, limped it into the garage and pulled the cover, found a big chunk of pinion gear and the reluctor ring(?) for the ABS pickup beaten to a pulp from riding on the broken piece of gear sitting on the bottom of the case.

I am debating between having the rear diff rebuilt, or buying a donor diff.

Anyone have an interchange for Dana 70 diffs? Or opinions on course of action? I was planning on keeping the truck for awhile!

Any and all opinions appreciated.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Re: Busted Diff!

Originally posted by Craig93
The Dodge is in the garage with a busted diff , pinion gear broke a tooth off, bizare to say the least, was just getting up to highway speed (empty as I usually am), trans shifted to OD, immediately heard a noise in the rear and the brake/ABS light came on. Pulled over and tried to figure out ***? Good thing I was only about a kilometer from home, limped it into the garage and pulled the cover, found a big chunk of pinion gear and the reluctor ring(?) for the ABS pickup beaten to a pulp from riding on the broken piece of gear sitting on the bottom of the case.

I am debating between having the rear diff rebuilt, or buying a donor diff.

Anyone have an interchange for Dana 70 diffs? Or opinions on course of action? I was planning on keeping the truck for awhile!

Any and all opinions appreciated.
If you are keeping the truck, try to get a Dana 80 for it.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:16 PM

I'll definitely keep that as an option, just widens my search parameters that is for sure, thanx HID.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I am on my third dana70 and if it goes out I am deffinatly going to a dana80. I think they bolt right up you only need to modify the emergency brake cables or something like that.

Stomp
Old 04-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

You probably wont get the same wheel bolt pattern with an 80 off a Dodge. Check Ford for an 80 too. The carrier might be bad too, check the holes the spider gear shaft rides in. The shaft probably came loose and caught the gear. If your gonna do your own work, replacing the whole thing with another unit, would probably be quicker than trying to shim a new carrier in there if yours is shot. At least your not stuck with the 3.07. Maybe you can convert to duals if you like.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:48 PM

i heard dana 80 was 70 center with thicker axle tubes and heavier out bearings and bigger brakes could be wrong though. i am also under the immpression that a 70 and 60 are the same except the 70 has a longer pinion shaft, i know this because mine went bad in my 92 250 and tried putting in some used 60 gears just could get the crush sleeve to crush. had to order gears for a 70.

P.S. used was because i blew chunks on white bird pass south of grangeville, ID thank god for dales rescue towwing. got me back up in three days for $600.

jed
Old 04-11-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by linetrash75
i heard dana 80 was 70 center with thicker axle tubes and heavier out bearings and bigger brakes could be wrong though.

jed
Just the opposite... For the Dodge the 80 is a hybred. It is an 80 gearcase with 70 spindels and bearings.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
www.car-part.com if you decide on a used replacement.

Rear specs: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/rear_axle.html

Chris
Old 04-12-2004, 05:35 AM

Yes I will be looking for a replacement diff assy, thanks for the link Stamey.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 PM

i riped my old 70's guts too and got and an 80
it bolt right up,
get the brake cable, and the u - bolts for the 80 cause the 70 wont fit.
will the 70's u - bolts will fit but there short, make sure to get the same gear ratio as the front, mine was $800 from a wreck yard,
you can sell your 70 to some one whos building up a mud bogger

bruce
Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 PM

Well after calling local yards and having no luck, and gasping at a $1500 touch for a used diff, I called Pro Trac Gear in Edmonton ( thanks Terry! ) who set me up with a new R&P with installation kit for under $400. They will press on my new bearing on the pinion shaft and I'll be back in business. Might have to search for an exciter ring for the ABS pick-up as the teeth are now gone. Took no time at all to get the diff apart, all the bearings look in great shape, so does the ring gear, all except that one tooth.
Can't figure out what may have caused the damage...must be all that good old Cummins torque!!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a good price for a diff. I got hosed in Calgary when my bearings went out on my 89. The R&P, Bearings, Clutches and labour dinged me for $1G. Live and learn. A tooth coming off of the pinion is not a common failure thats for sure.

You don't need the ABS anyway...LOL Just pull the plug behind the glovebox and the light won't bother you anymore.

J-eh
Old 04-14-2004, 07:15 PM

Thats $400 for just the R&P and install kit, and probably lots of free aggravation trying to set up the gears, but I am patient, and will take my time.
I might have a hard time finding a cheap exciter ring so might just leave it off, like ya say...ABS...a luxury I can live without.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have never set up a rear before, you might get someone else to do it. I *tried* it once. Those gears lasted about 300 miles.
You must have a dial indicator and blue marking dye, which I didn't.

Chris
Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, Like Stamey said.. I took it to a Gear shop to get it setup right as I didn't want to buy a whole set of shims for the pinion just to use 2 or three. Or else keep running back to the shop to get a different shim..

If you have the patience and the tools, go for it.

Quick Reply: Busted Diff!