1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bullet Wounded truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
Which reminds me, if a bullet would've went through the cab it could've hit some ammo that I have, and that could've been ugly

Contrary to all the "drama" that firefighters and the media like to play up in front of the camera, fire-arm cartridges are no more than loud fire-crackers so long as they are not confined within a chamber/barrel.

I have seen large rifle cartridges that had been in a house fire; the sides of some were split, but usually the primer just pushed out, and all of the pressure escaped through the flash-hole.

Without exception, the bullets remained firmly crimped in the case necks.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the signature addition " BULLET PROOF STACKS"
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Contrary to all the "drama" that firefighters and the media like to play up in front of the camera, fire-arm cartridges are no more than loud fire-crackers so long as they are not confined within a chamber/barrel.

I have seen large rifle cartridges that had been in a house fire; the sides of some were split, but usually the primer just pushed out, and all of the pressure escaped through the flash-hole.

Without exception, the bullets remained firmly crimped in the case necks.
Most are firecrackers... but I have had teh occasinal bullet come zipping by my head at a fire. No where near what it does coming out a gun but it will leave a mark. Its more of fragmentation at that point.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the signature addition " BULLET PROOF STACKS"
Thanks.

One day at work, a customer sent in a full length sizing die that he had crammed a loaded 30-06 round into, and couldn't get it out. They gave it to the owner, who decided to turn the end of the case off in a lathe. He put the die in a lathe and set the machine to auto-feed into the end of the case, but the tool steel moved and it started rubbing on the primer, so he ducked around the corner. The primer detonated, along with the charge, and sent the bullet into the next machine, and they still haven't found the case. Good thing this was after hours....
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinda wierd at cabellas that area is pretty nice just north of menomenee falls right up by lomira?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Ouch.....
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Yeah, it is at the 41/45 split in Richfield. Very nice area.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ironically im from pa and ive been to that cabelas twice and i know the area all to well. im working for washington county sheriff : )
Old 09-07-2009, 11:33 PM

wow. so can you ask him if he's heard of any incidents there on Friday? The dispatcher I got a hold of Saturday morning could only tell me if there had been any car accidents.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Just a guess of course but an accidental discharge in the Cabella parking lot seems most likely. Gun shows in VA are strict about carrying loaded guns. It isn't allowed in the show unless you are law enforcement. Yet the last show I attended there was an AD at one of the tables. No one was hurt and no one arrested. It was caused by a lack of understanding of basic firearm safety. All guns are loaded until proven otherwise. ANyway, I hope your truck has a full recovery soon.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Well, I don't know yet if I'm going to replace the toolbox, or patch it. To be honest, i don't like it, it is just a cheap Delta, but I really don't need the expense right now. I think I will just patch the inside with some duct tape, seeing as i can't weld aluminum. I kinda want to find a piece of aluminum the same thickness, and stand it up somewhere and shoot it with several different calibers, just to get an idea of what hit me.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM

i heard of a guy who put a bullet thourgh his bell housing once but never a drive by stack shootin. sorry to see what happen to yea but good to see no body got hurt.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah, thanks. It could have been a lot worse. I didn't think of this until now, but if I am right and it happened in the Cabellas parking lot, and my truck would not have been there, that bullet could've made it to the freeway!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:41 PM

is it possible it could be a soft point .223?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Years ago I was out in the Black Hills of Western South Dakota deer hunting. One of the guys brought a new deer rifle he didn't have time to sight in, so he's sitting in the bed of the truck shooting out the back, trying to sight it in. Tailgate was the victim... I could not believe the damage that thing had. WOW...

Quick Reply: Bullet Wounded truck.