1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

broken lighting switch/ update on my 93 resto

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post broken lighting switch/ update on my 93 resto

anyone shorted or broken your light switch yet?

i fried mine recently! i guess i was too rough so now its out and i am thinking of just doing some trick toggle switches in the place of the ****. what do you guys think? three switches, head lamps, gauges, dome light. i dont care for the dimmer seeing as how i run leds in my dash and i have a aftermarket cd player in my dash now with usb and mp3 and my truck even has bluetooth lol

i have mentioned before that i was gonna be hooking my truck up and i finally started doing it! i will get some pics up later but i am doing it in three phases... kinda like a evil plan. phase 1 is interior. phase 2 is paint body and bedliner. phase 3 is drivetrain. it will be long and slow... but sweer when its done

so far i have done in phase 1..
refinish all plastic trim and dash from poop brown to a nice black, pillar pod w autometer boost/pyro w/blue led conversion and brushed alluminum faces, changed regular gauges from black to brushed alluminum overlays and led conversion on the stock lighting from that ugly green to a sleek led blue, new kenwood deck w/ usb, bluetooth, mp3, etc.. along with new 6x9's and 4x9's and a amp for later subs to go in a custom mount where i ripped out those ugly brown club cab seats! new headliner black w/foam cut flames underneath. new door panel material w/ foam cut flames. new bomz racing bucket seats x4 w/5 point rci harnesses in the front and regular black lapbelts in the back for the "car seats". (had to).

thats it so far. i still need to lay carpet and thats about it besides tint for the interior! ohh and some trick switches for the lighting! and remove that stock black tachometer and put in a silver autometer that lights up blue! ohh and a apexi turbo timer! this thing is looking more and more trick and like the truck i want every day!

thanks for reading
Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I fried the running light portion of my headlight switch, still haven't got it all fixed, but put in a new(er) switch and it's been working okay, but I haven't hooked the 5th wheel up yet either..

Have all the parts for the relay conversion, but have other things to fix first...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TruckU
I fried the running light portion of my headlight switch, still haven't got it all fixed, but put in a new(er) switch and it's been working okay, but I haven't hooked the 5th wheel up yet either..

Have all the parts for the relay conversion, but have other things to fix first...
i am leaving my sunday open for the day of wiring and finding where everything goes. my main thing has pry been that there is always something else to fix before i can finish what i am doing!

but once its done theres no better feeling
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
YES. Any toggle-switch system you can come up with will be far superior to the troublesome head-light switch.

Big trucks have had seperate toggle-switches for the lights for years, most even have the cab-markers on a switch of their own, independent of the rest of the markers.

There are numerous advantages to doing this.

Future trouble-shooting becomes simple.

Problems with one circuit will have no bearing on the others.

Toggle-switches are exactly the route I will go whenever I have a head-light switch failure.

What is "bluetooth" ??
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
YES. Any toggle-switch system you can come up with will be far superior to the troublesome head-light switch.

Big trucks have had seperate toggle-switches for the lights for years, most even have the cab-markers on a switch of their own, independent of the rest of the markers.

There are numerous advantages to doing this.

Future trouble-shooting becomes simple.

Problems with one circuit will have no bearing on the others.

Toggle-switches are exactly the route I will go whenever I have a head-light switch failure.

What is "bluetooth" ??

I always use a good commercial or MilSpec. Quality switch in any of my projects.

Years ago I went to a Government Surplus and I bought an entire Radio Navigator and a Bombardiers Control Panel from a B-17 bomber and an instrument panel from an SNJ and that had a huge supply of toggle switches with switch guards, indicator lamps with Push to Test lamps and barrier strips and various hydraulic components that kept me supplied for years.

People would get in my cars and be afraid to touch anything when they saw switches with descriptions on the guards like ARMED, FIRE, Fire Control.

I still have a bunch of the switch guards left.

I always figure if it is good enough to be on an aircraft it should be good enough for me.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/ai...switchQQ_sopZ1

This place has a good supply of surplus parts, I want to but some of their vehicles but it is too far from where I live.

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/fuelsen...uelsenders.htm

Electrical parts.

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/electrical/switches.htm

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/master_cat/d_ignition.PDF

I also have used some of the locking style switches at the bottom of the page for critical systems like Ignition Master Switch, Fuel Pump where you do not want it to accidentally be switched

http://www.steinair.com/switches.htm

Battery disconnects.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=BE

What is "bluetooth" ??

This is what you have if you don't brush your teeth after eating Blueberry Pie.

Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
What is "bluetooth" ??

This is what you have if you don't brush your teeth after eating Blueberry Pie.

Jim

The little son of one of my co-workers informs me "Blue-Tooth was Blue Beards second-cousin"....

Or a very cold vampire.......
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
The little son of one of my co-workers informs me "Blue-Tooth was Blue Beards second-cousin"....

Or a very cold vampire.......
blue tooth is is like a chip in your phone or radio or whatever piece of gear that enables a wireless link for.... data transfer or various other things! so i can push a button on my phone and it links up through blue tooth and i can talk through my speakers and have a conversation on my radio! i can also work on my laptop or watch a movie and link up my speakers and my navigation on my tom tom! pretty cool stuff! i guess its time you guys step into the electronic era

here is a link to a blue tooth website http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/

my truck also has a usb port so i can fit almost two thousand songs on my keychain with my thumb drive! no more cd cases or un organized music!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a cool project! Can't wait to see it completed! I don't know about ripping out that ultra-rare factory tach, but it is your truck
Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM

is it factory? i dont know? it was there when i got it and looks like its old so i guessed it was factory? its my first 1st gen so i am not a whiz yet. let me know!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
some pics. If it looks like these, it's the real thing:

Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM

yup thats it! not to cool huh! at least not as cool as this one!