1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Broken exhaust manifold bolt in the head

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Broken exhaust manifold bolt in the head

Got a broken exhaust manifold bolt in the head. First snapped the head of the bolt off. Removed the exhaust manifold, used vice grips, then bolt out on the stud that remained, I think I was ****-eyed/not turning it straight, and broke the stud off in the head. I'm sure its in there pretty good, cause the bolt wouldn't thread all the way in before it got TIGHT. So what did I do, put the whammy on it/Johnny Armstrong on it, to try to 'make' new threads I guess. That is how I broke it in the first place. It's the #1 cylinder, bottom bolt.

What's my options to get this thing out?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Bill,
You could drill-it and use a bolt extractor.

Also, you could King-sert it that involves re-drilling the original hole to a larger diameter and then tapping that larger diameter then threaded in an insert that takes it back down to its original size and thread.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 AM

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Guess I need to get some new sharp/good drill bits, all mine are worn out. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you figure out the injector looseness problem Bill?

I can't remember if that is a through hole or not.
How do you feel about using a torch and blowing it out. And then clean the threads out with the proper size tap. That head should be cast iron and NOT cast steel.

We do it on older engines when we have to pull the manifold bolts off. Put wet rags in the ports blow the bolt out with the torch, clean the thread out with a tap, blow the debris off and pull the rags.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Put a hole in it, and use an easy out to pull it out. Or go get a set of left hand drill bits. It should pull it right out. They work really good.

Coop
Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Theres a guy around here that does bolt removal with sonic waves. Cool stuff and he guarantees to get the bolt out. Check around... you might have someone in your area.<edit> I think that they technically call it "electronic disentigration" One of the more common items removed by this guy is ez-outs lol
Old 03-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's also an electrical discharge process (think electrical discharge machining, or EDM) that can be used to melt the bolt stub out of the bolt hole.

Rusty
Old 03-14-2006, 05:12 PM

heli-coil

get your self a good set of drill bits ( cobalts ), and a set of easy outs from sears. once you have it out inspect your threads in the hole. there probaby shot. go get some heli-coils for that size. it will work good. i have had to do it on a mustang and a couple of Heston tractors. it works good. if you havnt had a lot of practice drilling and tapping straight things can get out of had real quike and next thing you know your holes getting to big. good luck. i just did my exhaust gaskets and busted a bolt head off. it was a pain to get it out. clear in the back under # 6.

Bob.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

Just don't break off the bolt extractor.

Those things are made from the toughest things known to man.

I've never heard of "sonic bolt disintegration", but is sounds expensive. (It also sounds like an 80's hair band.)
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 PM

use anti-seize on the new bolts!
Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Get yourself a couple good left hand drill bits, not the ones where you get a dozen for a buck, but the good ones. My son drilled out a broken bolt with the bits after I finally convinced him there was such a thing. Start small like 1/8 inch and drill all the way through the bolt. May need to take like a Dremel tool and grind the starting point on the bolt flat to get the bit started first.
If I remember right, those threads are metric also so don't get the wrong size tap. Take an old bolt and match the threads up with the new bolt(s).
Old 03-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which ever way you go.........BE PATIENT !

More broken parts just causes more work. Take your time doing it.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Bill, what I all ways do is, weld a nut onto whats left of the stud and back her on OUT. It its only not one time that I can remember. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 PM

So did you get it out yet?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 AM

Not yet, I won't have time til this weekend. There's only about a 1/4" of the bolt left in the head, so hopefully it won't be too much trouble drilling it out etc.

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust manifold bolt in the head