1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake troubles RWAL system??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake troubles RWAL system??

I have thrown a few parts at the truck so far and have not been able to find any smoking gun. The brake pedal is very soft. When applying the brakes the pedal will sink to the floor with some resistance and then when it bottoms out the brake and Antilock light comes on. a second pump will get a little bit more pedal but not much and the brake and anti lock light comes on nearly all the time as well with the second pump also. In a panic stop the wheels will lock up. One time it will be the rears the next time one front and one back with no set pattern there. sometimes I get a perfect pedal which almost never happens because its a suprise when it does. Last september I had a simalr problem and a new(not reman) master fixed it. about winter time I noticed the brake fluid went down. sicne then I have been losing some requiring a top up every couple months. I just threw a warranty master cyl at it a few days ago since there was fuild leaking out of the rear of the master. Hoping that would fix the brake issue but it did not. I put some new pads on the front and had the rotors resurfaced yesterday. It seems as if the fronts may be doing more work than they should be. I just started on the rear brakes a little while ago. No leaky wheel cyl or anything unusual at least on the one side. I'm going to put 1-1/8 wheel cyls on and fresh harware and shoes. I don't think that will fix any of my pedal problems. Does this sound like a RWAL system problem?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem, but it was a wheel cylinder. I did the mistake of only replacing one though. After the other side went I was told usually they are a part you replace in pairs,. So I replaed the other side and the problem was solved. My pedal would drop and hit the floor with no pressure and the ABS light coming on to only because of the leaky cylinders. So maybe look for more leaks or check for vacuum to the booster maybe.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Now on the booster being bad. I have had a couple experiences with bad boosters or vaccum leaks or failed vaccum pumps in the past. In those cases the cars and truck stoped fine it was just very hard to push the pedal down to get the brakes to apply. You could not get the pedal to the floor if you wanted too. Are these trucks any different?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Maybe this is the smoking gun. I finished up one side of the rear brakes. I decided to try bleeding that brake. never got a good pedal and after a couple pump up and bleed down cycles I got no more fuild movement back there. Almost like someone took the line off but there was nothing leaking.