1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

box problems right or wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
box problems right or wrong

i got a steering box out of a junk yard and its a good one but the pitman shaft has a wider turning radius , what i mean is more turns on the steering wheel shaft. the old box turned 3 1/2 times the new box turns 4 is this ok? a mechanic in town said it wouldnt work with out swaping the pitman shafts. anybody got any ideas or input?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
The Pitman should have no bearing on how many turns it takes lock-to-lock.

On edit:

Let me re-phrase that statement a little.

Depending on it's spline orientation, a mis-located or mis-shaped Pitman could cause one direction to turn quicker than the other, but the total number of turns required lock-to-lock should not change, unless the ratio of the box itself is faster or slower.

The only way a Pitman can affect things is in it's orientation on the splines and it's physical shape; the various designs are to accomodate different obstructions and axle designs or the lack thereof.

In good condition, the more steering-wheel turns necessary to go lock-to-lock, the better (and safer) it will drive.

Those silly quick-ratio rack-and-pinion deals, that require hardly any wheel movement to go lock-to-lock are part of why graveyards are getting so full.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
The Pitman should have no bearing on how many turns it takes lock-to-lock.

On edit:

Let me re-phrase that statement a little.

Depending on it's spline orientation, a mis-located or mis-shaped Pitman could cause one direction to turn quicker than the other, but the total number of turns required lock-to-lock should not change, unless the ratio of the box itself is faster or slower.

The only way a Pitman can affect things is in it's orientation on the splines and it's physical shape; the various designs are to accomodate different obstructions and axle designs or the lack thereof.

In good condition, the more steering-wheel turns necessary to go lock-to-lock, the better (and safer) it will drive.

Those silly quick-ratio rack-and-pinion deals, that require hardly any wheel movement to go lock-to-lock are part of why graveyards are getting so full.[laugh]
Hey on my 70 Mustang I pulled off the power assist and installed 14:1 manual box and had about 3 ½ turns lock to lock, you wanted a quick ratio for road racing, but it was a killer with my 10” wide front tires.

There are boxes down to 12:1 that will lock to lock in 2 1/4 turns.
But on the straightaway they are touchy and you could drive off the freeway with the slightest movement of the wheel, wouldn’t much fun on our big trucks.

Also with a higher ratio (more turns lock to lock) there is a less of a chance of loosing your fingers if you happen to drift onto the soft shoulder or have a blowout and your steering wheel spins.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I found in the FSM that it said that there are 2 steering boxs for the 92 trucks codes BH,NZ are 14:1 codes BF,XS are 13-16:1 ratio ken
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so as long as i find center( 2 turns from stop ) and the pitman arm is mounted correct it will be fine? where do i find the codes so i know what i've got? when my pitman arm is in the middle of the throw should it be at a 90* angle in relation to the box?