1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bosch 190's disapointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Ooops, I guess these questions are directed to Aaron and not me. Sorry!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that stuff is expensive. I wait till a defective bottle comes in so I can take it out of INV to use lol...

Also you do not need to advance the pump anymore that is not your problem.

Tomorrow I will ask one of the old timers if they have played with the VE with injectors at lower pop pressures on the test stand. I think wannadiesel is right about the threads. You should get way more response out of the full load screw than that. Ive turned them in on the test stand and wow that pump can move some fuel. Still not as much a the P pumps though.

I think since you have bigger injector nozzle orfices you have to compensate for the larger orfices. Reinspect the full load screw because you need to turn it up.

Also if you dont want to spend the money on a rebuilt pump maybe shim the injectors make them pop at a higher pressure. Bring them up 35 BAR
((514.5 PSI.))

Its not just the fuel the pump moves..... its the pulse that opens the nozzles. Incease the nozzle opening pressure, sharpen the pulse and you will be surprised!! atomize the fuel is the injectors job.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

ap, pull the fuel screw out, remove the washer in front of the locknut and run it back in......just a thought...

pb...

edit: don't forget, easy on the tightening of the locknut with or without the washer it's touchy if you get too aggressive....oh, and make sure you are getting full travel/rotation on the throtte 'cam' were the throttle cable hooks up...that can be point of weakness if your pump seems a bit lazy...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM

I will definately check the threads on the full fuel screw because it doesn't even seem close to runaway. I really don't think the pump is bad, it may be but there are no other symptoms. I'm thinking I must not have cleaned the threads well enough. Also the pump is pretty far advanced, i'd say a little more than the 1/8" timing bump. Looking at my gauge and exhaust I have no smoke at WOT and my egt's are right at 1200deg pre turbo. So I don't think the issue is not enough timing as more advanced timing will lower egt's and lessen the smoke at WOT at higher rpm's. The other thing is that the truck kindof runs out of power even before 3000rpms even with the 3200rpm GS.

I will adjust the star wheel out more to reduce my low end smoke, also the nylon washer is MIA but I replaced it with an o-ring. I did this because after messing with it the washer really is MIA I didn't mean to leave it out.

I still don't understand why the idle went down with the larger injectors? Anybody have any ideas or explain in a little more detail why higher POP pressure would affect this?

I have a full 4in exhaust, just installed the rip rook down pipe before the injectors.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments!!
Aaron
Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Aaron, the throttle linkage info Bob mentions will make a big difference in the upper RPM's. I noticed a big change when adding the Piston Lift Pump, too. Is your high idle(governor) screw off or threaded in? Can the throttle come close to touching the pump?

How touchy is your throttle. Do you have to floor it to make it do anything?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
Aaron, the throttle linkage info Bob mentions will make a big difference in the upper RPM's. I noticed a big change when adding the Piston Lift Pump, too. Is your high idle(governor) screw off or threaded in? Can the throttle come close to touching the pump?

How touchy is your throttle. Do you have to floor it to make it do anything?

Sorry I didn't address this yet.

I have adjusted the high idle set screw to just barely stop the throttle before the internals do. The linkage is adjusted fairly tight and the throttle is fairly touchy and no I don't have to floor it to do anything. The only thing I haven't done recently is to have someone floor the peddle and then look and make sure i'm getting full travel at the pump, I did it a while ago but I do need to check this.

I think that my fuel screw is stopping because of the threads, I will also try what Bushy suggested and remove the washer from the locknut. I also want to install the piston pump but first I need to install a fuel pressure gauge, I already have Geno's bango bolts.

Aaron
Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 PM

So I finally got a chance to work on my truck and see if I could get the power I was expecting. I took the full fuel screw out and cleaned the threads so the lock nut could come off freely. I reinstalled it and the screw bottomed out and with the lock nut locked down there is still about 1/8" of threads sticking out. Does this sound right for it being bottomed out? Also it is no where near run away.

So if the full fuel screw is bottomed out and I am only pushing 30lbs of boost with no smoke am I just SOL with this pump? Is this just a "weenie" pump as wannadiesel put it? If so is there a certain pump I should replace it with?

thanks, Aaron
Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I agree that there will be some new options for us guys this year....

As for the POD/370 comparison...the POD injector will flow approx. 10% more fuel than a 370 will...assuming they are both unaltered.

bob....
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bushy
I agree that there will be some new options for us guys this year....

As for the POD/370 comparison...the POD injector will flow approx. 10% more fuel than a 370 will...assuming they are both unaltered.

bob....

Could you hint at the new options that are coming for us? You always leave us hanging!!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Bushy]I agree that there will be some new options for us guys this year....

Pastor, you are a big tease!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:30 PM

Don't worry the good Pastor will tell us...... in a few months
Old 02-02-2006, 03:30 PM

I noticed that there are always 1st gen Bosch injectors on ebay. Does anyone know if these are 190s or what? The ad says that they prodeuce about 50 hp. Has anyone bought them?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I won't leave ya hanging.....there are a few new injector choices coming for us.
Currently I am aware of 3-4 trucks running some of these right now.
My brother for example is currently running a set labelled "stage 4" injectors.
These are EDM units and they will improve performance and reduce hazing noticably.
I do not have any exact flow numbers or how they compare to POD's for example....at least not yet.
I think there are some others out there that are working/testing some others along this line and once all the numbers are in we'll likely see them being offered for sale.

bob....
edit: OBTW, I think we'll also see an alternative to the 35/40 combo we've all used so well. I have tested one of these new turbo's and so far it is a nice unit and able to deal with heat issues better than the '35.
Keep you eye's peeled for that developement too...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=Bushy]I won't leave ya hanging.....there are a few new injector choices coming for us.
Currently I am aware of 3-4 trucks running some of these right now.
My brother for example is currently running a set labelled "stage 4" injectors.
These are EDM units and they will improve performance and reduce hazing noticably.

Thanks Pastor. Guess I'm better get the scatter gun out and work on my bank robbin' skills!

I know what a wire and sinker EDM is, but I don't know how EDM works with an injector. Why no just drill the holes?

mark
Old 02-02-2006, 10:56 PM

i *think* injectors use the wire type. i've never actually seen an edm machine or the parts they make, so i don't know the why part. i'm guessing it's more accurate? better finish?