1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bosch 190's disapointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosch 190's disapointed

Well I purchased the Bosch 190 injectors from Piers, great place to get stuff from, but to be honest I am a little disapointed.

I have the pump pretty well maxed out, I think, the full fuel screw is bottomed out lock collar is gone. 3200 GS is installed, the cone is stock but turned to the deepest part. I know that I could modify the cone but I really don't want to because I already blow some smoke off the bottom end. So this is the pump setup.

All my testing was unloaded so before the injectos I could just barely get 1100 WOT now with the injectors it will just barely get to 1200 on the pyro. I gained about 2psi of boost going from 28psi to 30psi at WOT. this is in 3rd and 4th, in 5th i'm going about 95 and about to run over all the cars off the road. lol Also at WOT I do not see any smoke so i've got plenty of air.

So I did gain some power and top end but it just doesn't seem like I gained all that much. Is there something i'm missing in the setup or are the 190 injectors just not that much bigger than the stock injectors? Right now I have the 12cm exhaust housing which i know gets restrictive but at only 30psi of boost I don't think that is an issue yet.

What can I do to get more fuel?!!!

Also once I installed the injectors my idle was much lower, even after driving around for half an hour so I don't think it is air in the injectors. I had to raise the idle with the lower idle set screw. Does this seem right? I would have thought I would have to lower the idle if anything!!

Thanks for everyones input, let me know what you think.
Aaron
Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Stock injectors = 160 HP. 190's will add about 30 HP/75 ft #. The 12 cm housing is a restriction, but given your location I think it's a necessary evil.

You really should work on the AFC cone. If you set it up right with a tight starwheel setting and no preload on the smoke screw, you can have the best of both worlds. Don't mess with the big end of the cone and you won't add fuel at low boost.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 PM

i agree with wanna do a little grinding on the bottem part of the cone sut make sure it has a smooth transission from bigger to smaller. You can also shave a little off the little nylon warsher at the top of the pin, that will let the pin travel down farther to utilize all of the cone. And when i installed PODs it lowered my idle, i had to adjust the low idle screw as well
Old 01-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Stock injectors = 160 HP. 190's will add about 30 HP/75 ft #. The 12 cm housing is a restriction, but given your location I think it's a necessary evil.

You really should work on the AFC cone. If you set it up right with a tight starwheel setting and no preload on the smoke screw, you can have the best of both worlds. Don't mess with the big end of the cone and you won't add fuel at low boost.

There is no preload on the smoke screw and I do have a tight starwheel setting already, as in, I have the starwheel turned out a lot to keep the low boost fueling to a minimum. So you think I will get a noticible improvement by grinding the cone?

I was thinking about putting my 16cm housing back on, but this was before the new injectors and I was thinking that they would put me well beyond 35psi. This however is not the case so now i'm thinking that the 12 cm is OK. I think I might just have to try the 16cm housing to see how I like it.

Is there anything else you would recomend? How about a set of custom injectors with the marine 370 tips? How much fuel would something like that flow compared to POD's?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
If your idle dropped, you probably need to advance your timing a little bit -- I am thinking slightly higher pop pressure on the new injectors vs. stock.

POD's have bigger tips than 370's. 370's are probably very close to 190's ??

Not sure if the timing will make you happier with the install, but I think it will help some. You may have to grind on the AFC to get what you want.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by apwatson50
There is no preload on the smoke screw and I do have a tight starwheel setting already, as in, I have the starwheel turned out a lot to keep the low boost fueling to a minimum. So you think I will get a noticible improvement by grinding the cone?

I was thinking about putting my 16cm housing back on, but this was before the new injectors and I was thinking that they would put me well beyond 35psi. This however is not the case so now i'm thinking that the 12 cm is OK. I think I might just have to try the 16cm housing to see how I like it.

Is there anything else you would recomend? How about a set of custom injectors with the marine 370 tips? How much fuel would something like that flow compared to POD's?
Set the star wheel as high as it will go while still contacting the ratchet spring. You will get more fuel by grinding on the cone, it will be noticeable.

Is your wastegate hooked up and operating? You might be just running up against the wastegate. If you have the wastegate unhooked and you are only getting 30 psi, your pump is a pathetic weenie. Some of 'em run hard with a little tweaking and some of them are dogs, and I don't know enough to understand why. When you say the fuel screw is all the way in, do you mean that it has stopped turning and you are not on the edge of runaway? How well did you clean up the threads under where the lock collar was crimped on?

POD's flow more than 370's.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Hey Dave,

I have my fuel screw cranked all the way in with no threat of runaway. Does that mean I have a weenie pump?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
POD's flow more than 370's.
Is anyone sure about this?? What size holes are in the POD's.. (I know there more to HP than hole size.. ) Custom injectors are still the way to go... for big HP.. POD were 3 sets ago... LOL...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 PM

i'd say stay away from "custom" 370's. i've got a funny feeling there will be a few more options for us 1st genners in the near future.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya i agree I don't think 370's are the way to go.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Hey Dave,

I have my fuel screw cranked all the way in with no threat of runaway. Does that mean I have a weenie pump?
Did you clean up the threads where the lock collar was? If you don't get that nice and smooth it will hang up and you will think you are bottomed out.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 PM

I thought I did, but now I am having doubts. I'll check it, thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM

Im quite sure your injection pump is bad. Do you run additive in your fuel?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 PM

I hope it's not bad. I just bought it a year or two ago from Oregon Injection. I moded it before I even put it on the truck (I didn't know about grinding the AFC lever at the time). I do use Diesel Power additive in the grey bottle, but not in every tank.... expensive.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whats your advance at? Exhaust? I'm running stock injectors and 12cm housing. 32GKspring and.. well, see my sig.

I can hit 32psi boost with this setup pulling a hill in OD. I think Calgary is similar in altitude to Denver. If you are running stock exhaust that will certainly slow things down. Also with this setup I'm hard pressed to exceed 900*F post turbo.

Quick Reply: Bosch 190's disapointed