1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Borgenson shaft swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borgenson shaft swap

My old steering shaft is about ready to pop on my 92. I have a bunch of slop in the steering wheel. You can grab the shaft(rag joint side) from inside the fender and turn the stock joint about 1/4 turn before it moves the (steering box side) shaft. I want to upgrade to the borgenson type joint, the artical in the tech facts section has some part #s that I could not find with a search. Can you do the swap in a few hours on the weekend? are there any tools not mentioned in the article that are required? any help will be great, mostly with the part #s and getting the right seal as I also have a leaky seal on the steering gear also.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by alborada
My old steering shaft is about ready to pop on my 92. I have a bunch of slop in the steering wheel. You can grab the shaft(rag joint side) from inside the fender and turn the stock joint about 1/4 turn before it moves the (steering box side) shaft. I want to upgrade to the borgenson type joint, the artical in the tech facts section has some part #s that I could not find with a search. Can you do the swap in a few hours on the weekend? are there any tools not mentioned in the article that are required? any help will be great, mostly with the part #s and getting the right seal as I also have a leaky seal on the steering gear also.
I have looked into replacing mine also.I have replaced my stock one twice now and it will be the last time I do it. As far as the swap, I think you should be able to do it in a couple of hours with no special tools, like I said I have had my old one out and replaced in that amount of time. My rear seal on the stearing box now leaks a little from driving in the pin to the replacement stearing thingy . I may need to repace that seal also when I install the new shaft.

Greg
Old 05-02-2006, 09:07 PM

there are instructions in the tech facts, listen to the part that says put a large (heavy) metal object on the back side when hammering the pin out. i did mine, and hammering that out took the longest, but i was pretty careful and have no leaks yet.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Thumbs up

I haven't put one on my 93 yet,but I changed my old 78 W200 over a few years ago,the old truck steered better then it had for years. It'snot much of a job,It took less than a hpur to do the 78.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:31 PM

Ok sound like it should not take to long who is the best,fastest parts dealer to get the shaft and the seals from? I still cant find anything online with the part #s in the facts section.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by alborada
Ok sound like it should not take to long who is the best,fastest parts dealer to get the shaft and the seals from? I still cant find anything online with the part #s in the facts section.
Contact Piers Diesel(www.piersdiesel.com) and they'll sort ya out.

Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapped out the one on my 92 in about three hours. Make sure your wheels are straight before you disconnect the old one. Hardest part was getting the yoke off the steering box. Soaked it with Kroil for a couple hours and it came right off.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 AM

Upgrading your steering is a great idea.. that original Rag Joints are very bad and when they go they usually let go at the worst time

Here is what I made. simliar to what you are looking at.. it is well worth it.. my steering was 90% better. then I put new Tie rod ends and drag link in and now 100% perfect.. turns like a brand new truck

Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
My '89 had one on when I bought it. Replaced the steering box. 3 months ago takes about 1/2 hour to get the shaft out but I didn't have to beat the pin out. Call borgenson or go to www.borgeson.com. they told me to look in a jegs catalog for replacment parts. (cheaper). Jegs also has the upper rag joint, might even hve the replcement shaft too, look on their web site. Make sure you put the setscrew in the joint on the flat side of the steering box shaft not the radiused part that the original pin went thru...this will come loose.. you can always pull the steering wheel and center it so don't worry about the steering wheel. Fronts wheels must be straight though, like dieseldude4x4 said.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BRUISER
Upgrading your steering is a great idea.. that original Rag Joints are very bad and when they go they usually let go at the worst time

Here is what I made. simliar to what you are looking at.. it is well worth it.. my steering was 90% better. then I put new Tie rod ends and drag link in and now 100% perfect.. turns like a brand new truck

I had the same yoke/u-joint welded up for my truck, super industrial strentgh AND it`s greaseable, best $$$ I have spent in a good while. The down side is that now that the play is out of the shaft I can actually feel how messed up the rest of the front end is , replaced the box bracket (BIG crack), and next up is wheel bearing service, kingpin bushings etc etc.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
there are instructions in the tech facts, listen to the part that says put a large (heavy) metal object on the back side when hammering the pin out. i did mine, and hammering that out took the longest, but i was pretty careful and have no leaks yet.
Wedging a block of wood in between the frame and steering shaft also works well.