1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BOMBS AWAYYYYYYY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOMBS AWAYYYYYYY

;D ;D <br>Thanks to this website I finally began the bombing process.<br>My 93 Ext Cab Auto with 190K has come to life. Following your advice I installed auto meter boost and EGT gauges first. Thursday I installed POD's and adjusted the valves along with removing the power screw weld tab and turning it in 1 full turn. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - this truck is a rocket now - boost comes on so fast and strong I found a leak in one of the intercooler rubber connecting hoses by the loud whistle of air escaping. New hose on order and I can't wait to see even further improved performance. I even love the exhaust smoke at WOT. Thanks to everyone at this site for A+ info and advice. Now saving for turbo upgrade - BOMBS AWAY ;D!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:BOMBS AWAYYYYYYY

That good?!!... ;D yer getting me all excited here...I am getting close to the bombing process, I have the ground work done but the pump is untouched....if I don't sell the truck in the next couple of weeks I am keeping it and bombing away too.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:52 PM

ZRX<br>cool, now for $150 delivered you can get a 16 or 14 cm exhaust housing for the turbo. It will spool-up even quicker and cut some of the smoke. ;Donly problem with the 14 is a little more exhaust temperature under load and loose alittle on the top end. I can tell when I run full throttle between 90 and 100 MPH <br>I would say have fun but you already are ;D
Old 07-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frostie is correct. Although the 14 will give you better low end spoolup, you will have higher EGT's than you would with a 16. I feel that the 16 is the best all around housing whether your towing or just having fun with all the mods. In fact, alot of guys that have went with the 12 or 14 housing right out of the box are now switching to the 16 for EGT purposes.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:16 PM

From what I read, I have a stock 18cm turbo housing - will switching to the 16 really makes that much difference? Looking for the most bang for the buck.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:33 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I haven't really noticed a lot of difference at stock settings. I have since turned up the pump a bit, but not too much until I get injectors, so it would still be marginal. I think it would still be a good idea though, if you plan on other mods. From what I gather the difference in the 16 from 18 will benefit after injector and exhaust mods. I still need to get a larger exhaust.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say with your mods, the 16 cm housing would be another step up.. If you have that much fuel, the added air from the 16 at low RPM would help get rid of some of the smoke and give you some more low end grunt.<br><br>The exhaust mod is a must if you haven't already done so. I noticed (even with my minor mods) a modest increase in spool up time and lower EGT's. The kicker is that pipe over the axle, with all the bends and kinks. This 4&quot; system I had put on is out of the box from Dynomax and starts at the tranny back. Nice sound and good flow.<br><br>Now I need some injectors..Hmmm :<br><br>J-eh
Old 07-21-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I just put a 12cm housing from a '95 on my truck. I haven't towed anything yet, and tend to keep the RPM's pretty low as a rule, but for my driving style I'm glad I kept the 14cm housing I bought on the shelf! I can actually shift from 2-3-4 on the hill coming out of my driveway now (stock, the truck would start to accelerate at 1800 RPM, now it starts at 1400), and my EGT's pre-turbo are lower than they were post-turbo with the 21.<br><br>I suppose if I wanted to push over 300 HP it would be a different story, and I am running it with the sensor line disconnected (which causes a &quot;fluttering&quot; problem that I have to work out), but that is my experience so far . . .
Old 07-22-2003, 07:58 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Hows the 12cm do on the freeway at about 75-80 mph?<br>i/e EGT's, passing, etc.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, at 80 mph passing in traffic it is a little hard to look at smoke and the pyro and the boost guage all at once before you run out of pavement . . . but I haven't gotten it over 800* (pre-turbo) with the engine running over 1600 RPM as far as I can tell, and judging by the lack of smoke, I could turn up the fuel some. It jumps right up to 22 psi or so when you floor it. Cruising at 70 I normally run 500-700* depending on the grade. I used to run 700*+ post turbo cruising with the 21cm housing . . .<br><br>It is hard to compare acrross trucks, though, 'cause we are all running &quot;custom&quot; fueling . . .
Old 07-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Red'<br><br>The 12cm housing is getting pretty restrictive at that speed. Now I know some guys are using them but you'll find they are usually wastegated at roughly 22'ish psi and they are carefull to keep out of the danger zone.<br>All you need to do is look at the inlets of the 12cm and compare them to the outlets of the exhaust manifold to see my point. Then you add to the mix, a hot day, some weight or load, a long hill and you'll see why they are used mostly<br>for street performance and &quot;fun driving&quot;.<br>As an example, at 90mph, with my 14cm housing I can hit 1600*F fairly fast.... not good...<br>I'm in the process now, of getting ready to do some drive pressure testing with the 12cm, 14cm, and 16cm housings.<br><br>Bob.