1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

blew up my beast

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bullfrog5.9
here a ? what should the pyrometer gauge read and what a bad numder to see it at

Cummins states that 1250*F PRE-turbo is the max sustainable temp, ie when pulling a long grade, etc. Bear in mind that it's not a bad idea to give the pyrometer a margin of error. I never sustain higher than 1100 when pulling a load. When playing around, I've pegged my 1500* gauge, but only for very short periods of time...and I still feel lucky that nothing has gotten tore up.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smokey Beast,
Sorry to hear of your mishap This thread makes me worry! I will be towing a 25' camper this coming Memorial Day, with my 93 W250 inter-cooled truck. Currently I have no gages (pyro, boost, trany, tach). I also haven't messed with my fuel pump. If I tow the camper, and don't get on the skinny pedal, should I have any pyro issues. As I mentioned, the fuel pump hasn't been tweaked yet. The exhaust is also stock. Gages and a 4" exhaust are on the next to do list. I will be traveling west on I80 to SE Nebraska, so I won't see any steep hills. I installed a 26,000 GVW tans cooler, for the A518 auto.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a 26,000 GVW tans cooler, for the A518 auto

hey thats the same one in my truck, i even tossed the water to trans cooler and i still run cool

jason
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by farmer0_1
65 fury that picture just makes you hurt. did you have to scrap the block?
NOPE, the block is still good, although when i rebuild it i'll do a bore job to make sure, also just to let everyone know my egts were reading totally normal at the time, the only indication was that my engine temps were really hot, i thought my temp sending unit was on the fritz it kept going from really hot to cool very spastically so i didn't pay any mind, also my truck probably would have been fine had i not been haulin butt up the hill at 80mph

jason
Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by broncobilly
Smokey Beast,
Sorry to hear of your mishap This thread makes me worry! I will be towing a 25' camper this coming Memorial Day, with my 93 W250 inter-cooled truck. Currently I have no gages (pyro, boost, trany, tach). I also haven't messed with my fuel pump. If I tow the camper, and don't get on the skinny pedal, should I have any pyro issues. As I mentioned, the fuel pump hasn't been tweaked yet. The exhaust is also stock. Gages and a 4" exhaust are on the next to do list. I will be traveling west on I80 to SE Nebraska, so I won't see any steep hills. I installed a 26,000 GVW tans cooler, for the A518 auto.
My wifes parents have a 92 D250-auto-intercooled that they used to tow a 28ft fifth wheel with a 16ft slideout. They traveled the United States for up to six months at a time with no problems, West coast to East coast, bone stock except the addition of the 3200 spring. I used to try to get him to do things to the motor for more power, but he said, "I stay in the right lane and I dont usually go over 60 and I want reliability, not problems". He didnt have any gauges other than stock. His truck still runs great. You should be fine if you have taken good care of it, but if its mechanical, it can go wrong. Just take it easy and enjoy your trip.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

ACtually, going from stock to slightly upgraded will enhance reliabilty- "stock" is always a compromise between cost and performance, but that is neither here nor there. Going all out, that is another story. But if the old man was happy with it, let it be. I still would have pressed him for gauges, and told him he could save fuel by driving by the pyrometer and boost gauges.

65fury- probably too late now, but with everything else looking fine, it looks to me like you lost a piston cooling nozzle. You didnt have a Fram oil filter on there, did ya?

DP
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM

65fury- probably too late now, but with everything else looking fine, it looks to me like you lost a piston cooling nozzle. You didnt have a Fram oil filter on there, did ya?
DP[/QUOTE]

well yes i had a fram oil filter now i run a k&n oil filter, and is a piston cooling nozzle a cool word for injector tip? im not to savvy on diesel lingo yet.

jason
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 65fury
DP

well yes i had a fram oil filter now i run a k&n oil filter, and is a piston cooling nozzle a cool word for injector tip? im not to savvy on diesel lingo yet.

jason[/QUOTE]

The cooling nozzles are just that--nozzles that point up from under the piston and spray pressurized oil on them to cool them down. Problem is, they're plastic....and some have been know to break off, providing no cooling for that particular piston. The other issue is that supposedly Fram filters have been known to shed material that will clog the plastic nozzles, producing the same effect....
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by G1625S
The cooling nozzles are just that--nozzles that point up from under the piston and spray pressurized oil on them to cool them down. Problem is, they're plastic....and some have been know to break off, providing no cooling for that particular piston. The other issue is that supposedly Fram filters have been known to shed material that will clog the plastic nozzles, producing the same effect....
ok with this what type of oil filter do you suggest to use??
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM

i usually run baldwin, we run them on all the big trucks and i just pick them up at the same time.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:42 PM

owe! i think i;m scared for life after those pics. lol. sorry to hear about that for both ya'll..... i think i'm gonna go find a pyro for my dads truck soon. lol
Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Palerider,
Thanks for the feedback on trailering an rv bone stock! I figure if I stay in the 65 mph range I shouldn't have any trouble. I will be adding full gauges in the near future (boost, trany, pyro, tach), but right now I don't have the $. Jason, thanks for the input on the 26,000 gvw trans cooler. SmokeyBeast, again - sorry to hear of your burnt piston.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM

smokey beast sorry to hear about your truck.

Sorry to stick on the oil filter but.........
So fram is bad, and k&n is good how about stp?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Ace
Banned

They're all good. There's very little difference in terms of overall quality and construction across the brands. Fleetguard and WIX are my personal favorites. There are small variations in the filtering ratings, typically around 20um nominal. Better filtration equals less flow, but only marginally speaking within the available numbers. Some expensive filters use new tech synthetic media (Amsoil EaO). As ususal, you get what you pay for. But you can't really go wrong. All that mythology about Fram is bad is just that - myth. Their cheapest filters are just as crappy as the cheap ones made by Champion and their good ones are just as good.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 AM

Been There Done That

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=39037

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=39037

65 furry I feel your pain. Now with the new turbo temps don't go above 1050.