1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Blew out Flexplate, upgrade tranny while its out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Blew out Flexplate, upgrade tranny while its out?

Blew out my flexplate yesterday and had to have it towed home 45 miles. Was just happy it didn't happen last week when I was in Alaska!

Anyway should I just go with a 2nd Gen flexplate? How do the aftermarket ones compare in price?

Any upgrades I should do to the tranny while I have it out? I'm thinking maybe torque converter. So far the tranny has been great but I've been told I'm on borrowed time with the power I'm putting out. Not planning to get any higher HP, maybe some injectors when the old ones wear out but thats about it.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A tighter converter would be a MAJOR improvement. You'll get to use a lot more of the torque you're making.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck, with you being in Canada with DTT in you your backyard I would get the valve body and converter from Bill.. as for the Flexplate, DTT now has a Billet version so that worrying about the flexplate will be a thing of the past!.. Suncoast has a Laminated one that I am now using... BUTif DTT had the billet version ready when I replaced the last one, I would have gotten the Billet one!..The Suncoast was about 475.00..
Old 08-08-2004, 09:55 PM

I don't understand the concept of the flexplate, because transmissions have never been a subject of mine. How would the flex plate affect the torque converter?

I have to put mine in N for 15 seconds if my truck sits over 4 hours. Is this a sign of a bad flexplate?

Clay did your truck do this? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:28 PM

The Flexplate is bolted to the Crank and to the converter. The center rips out because of Stress fractures around the holes that bolt the flexplate to the crank. It needs to be stronger in this area. The other Problem you discribe is the trans fluid leaving the converter and draining back into the pan.. Idleing for the 15 seconds pumps it back into the converter.. It's a "Chrysler" thing.. it can be fixed though.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:17 AM

If you're pulling the trans to replace the flexplate, I'd strongly suggest going with some kind of upgrade converter while it's out. I have the Hughes converter in mine and I'm really happy with it. TCI also makes one, and DTT has an excellent reputation as well. I was able to get the Hughes at cost so that made it an easy decision for me.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest having the trans freshened up with a banner kit (new seals/soft parts) and consider installing the Trans-Go TFOD-Diesel shift kit at the same time. The kit gives a firm (but not harsh) shift and corrects the drainback issue mentioned above.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I believe PDR has a new flexplate ready to... unless the machine work is not yet complete.
The plate in question is being run on my truck as well as a couple other with no problems, so this post is being made as an end user of this particular product and is in no way linked to or endorsed by the TDR. I am also associated with PDR who is/will market this flexplate.
It is rated up to 12,500 RPM and is a certified plate.
The "rating" for this plate is higher than the stock 2nd gen plates and is a fair bit heavier. Basically it fits in the middle of the range between the stock plate and the DTT high end billet plate.

bob....

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2004, 12:40 AM

I saw one of the PDR plates at the first gen day. SWEEEEEETTTT! When I replace my TC and freshen up the ol' tranny, I will be installing one of them. It is significantly ehavier than the stock and heavier than the 2nd gen as well.

No affiliations, whatsoever.

Carl