1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bleeding power steering . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding power steering . . .

I recently replaced my power steering pump becuase the old one was making lots of noise and had finally stopped working at least untill everything got warm. I put the new one on and filled it with fluid. I turned the wheel a little and filled it the rest of the way up. Now the power steering was working but it was blowing fluid right out the filler past the cap. I let it sit and topped it off and went for a drive. It ran low on fluid. I filled it again and ran it some more. The problem seems to be getting a little better but its still blowing fluid right out the top past the cap. I assume this is because I have air in the system and its foaming really bad. Am I correct?

How do I bleed this particular system?

I read about picking up a tranny filter to put in line with the return. I think I will do that tonight and see if I've bot a bunch of metal from the old pump in there clogging things up.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Chass
ct
Old 11-03-2006, 06:17 PM

Sounds like a good idea!

also, are you saying it is full when the truck is running or when it is stoped!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you might have the adjustment screw on the steering box too tight. Could be what killed the 1st pump.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM

I would jack the front axle up (put the front on jack stands) and crank the steering lock to lock. Keep checking the PS fluid level and top off as nessary. You might have to take the rig for a few rides, and repeat the process a few times. HTH!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:27 PM

For real tuff air bleeding situation........like making a fffurd p/s pump Quite.......OK OK less noise

all you need is a hand, vac pump with a resivor (to catch the fluid so it don't damage to vac pump) hose and a big chunk of rubber with a small hole and a barbed fitting so that you can create a vac in the power steering pump resivor!

Create a vac and hold it, while you watch the bubbles travel up the clear tube to the catch clear container.

When the bubbles stop, release the vac., pour more fluid in and repeat till there is no bubbles and the reservoir if Full!!

If you own an older ford truck and the p/s is obnoxious LOUD! Try it! you will be pleasantly surprised!

Just something that a old goat taught me!..........Hmmm, and it seam that every day i start to live more in them old shoes! EEEEEK
Old 11-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Our P/S systems have a very small reservoir and are a real pain to bleed. I have a way that works well and is relatively fast after opening the system and introducing air.

Fill the reservoir almost to the top. Start the engine and shut it off IMMEDIATELY. Get out and top up the reservoir as required. Repeat this until the level no longer drops.

Now start the engine, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees and shut the engine off. Get out and top up the reservoir. Repeat this until the level no longer drops.

Repeat process, now turning the wheel a half turn, and eventually you will be able to go lock-to-lock.

The key here is to start small, and never let the level drop so the system ingests air. If, during this procedure, it ingests air and the fluid gets foamy, shut it off and wait until the foam dissipates, then start at the beginning again. Be patient, this works well.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. Between this and the instructions in the other thread "to bleed or not to bleed" helped out a lot.

When I replaced the pump, I just filled it, turned the wheels and it blew fluid ALL OVER. So it was very low. I filled it again, blew it all over. Slowly its been getting better and leaking less as I top it off every time I drive it. Today it only took an ounce or so. I'll jack it up and cycle the steering and keep an eye on the level.

I've put new pumps in all kinds of rigs and never had this problem before so I had it in my mind that there must be some other problem than just lack of proper bleeding. I think it was all the foaming over that made me think that.

Chass
ct
Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
Our P/S systems have a very small reservoir...
That's one reason I installed a PS cooler and Magnefine filter. Very simple upgrade, just a couple cheap parts, clamps and hoses. Adds about a half quart capacity. Running ATF+4 in it now after a good flush. ATF+4 is a GpIII synthetic-based ATF that makes a great hydraulic fluid. With the added capacity, filtering and cooling I think my power steering should be good for a couple hundred thousand trouble-free miles now.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace
That's one reason I installed a PS cooler and Magnefine filter. Very simple upgrade, just a couple cheap parts, clamps and hoses. Adds about a half quart capacity. Running ATF+4 in it now after a good flush. ATF+4 is a GpIII synthetic-based ATF that makes a great hydraulic fluid. With the added capacity, filtering and cooling I think my power steering should be good for a couple hundred thousand trouble-free miles now.
ATF+4 seems like it should be a great p/s fluid, but it kinda concerns me. Since Dodge started converting all the vehicles over to ATF+4 in the p/s, I've never seen so many power steering failures. Coincidence?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
ATF+4 seems like it should be a great p/s fluid, but it kinda concerns me. Since Dodge started converting all the vehicles over to ATF+4 in the p/s, I've never seen so many power steering failures. Coincidence?

Hmmm? Ace do you know if the normal p/s fluid is a thicker or thinner viscosity?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Ace
Banned

No, they should both be about a 20w oil. Just yesterday I flushed and changed the PS fluid in my wife's 2002 Sebring for the 1st time. It had ATF in it. At least it was red, so most likely it was ATF+4 the factory put in there. I'm presently running it in two early 70s Mopars and both trucks now, since early this summer. No problems so far.

I think the only reason PS fails is because it doesn't get regular maintenance. People just forget about it until the fluid breaks down and gets dirty enough to cause problems. Flush and re-fill every few years and they will last forever.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 AM

In no the mopar us to have 2 diff ps fluids.....on was strictly for cold weather climates and wondered if the atf was a thinner fluid.

I noticed that torquefan lives in the cold climate!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Ace
Banned

I think some of the recent Mopar racks spec a specific fluid. Some Jeeps IIRC. Best to check the manual if in doubt.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
For real tuff air bleeding situation........like making a fffurd p/s pump Quite.......OK OK less noise

all you need is a hand, vac pump with a resivor (to catch the fluid so it don't damage to vac pump) hose and a big chunk of rubber with a small hole and a barbed fitting so that you can create a vac in the power steering pump resivor!

Create a vac and hold it, while you watch the bubbles travel up the clear tube to the catch clear container.

When the bubbles stop, release the vac., pour more fluid in and repeat till there is no bubbles and the reservoir if Full!!

If you own an older ford truck and the p/s is obnoxious LOUD! Try it! you will be pleasantly surprised!

Just something that a old goat taught me!..........Hmmm, and it seam that every day i start to live more in them old shoes! EEEEEK

that sounds like a great way to get a bunch of air out. I had the steering and vac pumps off the '00 to change the seal and o-rings in there, 330k and that stuff's leaking already... . been turning it back and forth and applying the brake(hyd-boost) and can't get the air out. I don't like how far above the reservoir the hyd-boost is, seems like that'll keep air trapped indefinitely, maybe wrong but it doesn't seem like the fluid flow would be fast enough to clear that out. so here goes the vacuum method.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I have one of those air operated vacuum extractors and I suction out the P/S
fluid and replace it whenever I do an egine service on any of my vehicles.
Steering fluid is cheap, buying steering parts isn't.

Quick Reply: Bleeding power steering . . .