1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bigger Harmonic Balancer that fits 93

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Bigger Harmonic Balancer that fits 93

Someone mentioned that they were able to get a later year harmonic balancer from cummins that worked on a first gen 93...bigger diameter handles more HP but cannot seem to find...anyone done that and what is the part number.
Called the cummins shop they said if you get the number we will sell it to you but we cannot suggest anything that is not in the book for the 93! looking for the part number for the one on right the 215!
noted in TDR 18, page 23. This is a reproduction of a marginal photo.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:57 AM

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,679 Posts
I regularly install a bigger harmonic balancer from a '94-'98.0 12V, or even the 24V from '98.5-/02 on my 1st gen motors.

Most of the 24V balancers do not have the notches for the CPS, so unless you are using them on a build that doesn't need a CPS, they might not work for you.

The balancers get bigger as the trucks get newer from ''89-'-02
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
Federic (01-29-2022), nothingbutdarts (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:08 AM

Thanks! You are the first that has actually responded and has done this...My understanding is that with out the notch the rpm is not going to work..I have a non AC non speed control 5 speed with no power windows or doors..pretty basic truck really other then a few mods to fuel system for a bit more power Is there something else that would be affected? My wire had broken to the rpm pickup and it run fine other then the lack of Tach..
Would the timing be affected by not having a CPS? My understanding is that the timing would not be affected but not sure about that
Also which harmonic balancer would you suggest of those years? My understanding is that the bigger the better the actual job it does to balance the engine and that some are fluid filled which seems to be the holy grail for this.
Thanks again for your help..if you have a couple of the part numbers of the ones you've used that would be super
I just remembered I did do a Transpo 8315 I think it was on the alternator which I believe makes it run on its own and not by the CPS?
Old 01-29-2022, 07:14 AM

On your '93 the CPS tells your PCM that the motor is running.
So you will want one with the notches.

I am using 24V balancers on my '91.0 W-250 and my '85 crew cab using a '91.0 harness and motor, as they are non intercooled and came from the factory with no CPS or PCM.
See if you can order one for a '97 12V, it should be as big as it gets while still having the notches.
nothingbutdarts (01-29-2022), thrashingcows (01-31-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the info and still dont understand why did it work ok with the wire to the CPS cut..was it due to the transpo install on alternator or what?
Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 AM

The CPS is telling the PCM the motor is running, so I would expect it would not charge, and things like cruise, A/C, O/D if auto and other functions will also not work.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:08 AM

That's the beauty of my 93 no AC, no CC and with the transpo I believe it bypasses the CPS and controller module on the fender because it worked fine for several months till I got the cps connector to repair it...'m trying to make sure because then I can get the bigger balancer that are fluid based as you said if possible

found this from a report

Love what you said here!
oliver foster (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:32 AM

I have not bought the Fluidamper style and run it on any of my rigs. I just grab a newer style harmonic balancer as I have a bunch in my shop and use it as a cheap upgrade on my 1st gen motors.

I want to say Thrashingcows used the Fluidamper on his crew cab build years ago. He might be able to add some info on that set up.
thrashingcows (01-31-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:46 AM

I am thinking along your lines cause those are expensive! and I'm a poor boy! so to summarize the notched ones are fine for me and the not notched will at the very least lose the tach..still not sure about timing with the transpo install on alternator..
They seem to be from 97 bucks to 277 for genuine Cummins...I love the cheap but not if I wreck something in engine or have to fix it again in 4 months.....any brand you use in particular that works?
Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 AM

My shop has the leftovers from 100 Cummins powered '89-'02 Dodge trucks in it. I use what I have in stock already on my builds.
I have a dozen harmonic balancers sitting on a shelf in my shop. I pick a nice looking one with the largest diameter and bolt it up, when I need one.

So I use, used OEM ones.
Federic (01-29-2022), nothingbutdarts (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:18 AM

WOW! 100 ..no lack of parts for you for sure!
Originally I started all this because Towing a 7000 pound traier up to 7200 feet I floored it and a bunch of black smoke came out and then the vibrations started.kind of a harmonic thing..when I fgot home I thought it might be the driveshaft so rebuild that with all new u joints and carrier bearing, nothing then I re balanced all the 2 month old tires and still nothing so I got to the balancer by process of elimination and while I cannot see any broken rubber I can feel that it is bulging all the way around about a 1/8 to just under 1/4...from what I read it seems it is supposed to be flush with both metal ings which it definitely is not...I've parked the truck till I can figure this out as I cannot afford to break the crank or anything else so...
Would that bulging make the vibrations...I've taken it out of gear and still does it but it is not a constant one more rhythmic?

Ok and no more questions I promise although I REALLY appreciate your help in all of this!
Old 01-29-2022, 09:41 AM

I am not sure if that would be enough to make a felt vibration, unless the bolts are starting to loosen up on the balancer themselves.

I have only seen loose balancer bolts once, but they had wallowed out the holes in the balancer by the time I saw it.
Federic (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 10:12 AM

I looked down on the balancer as it was idling and didn't notice any wobble, the vibration is a subtle one but definitely noticeable..sort of comes and goes all the time...Im thinking im going to take it off... take a good look and get pics, if it is not that I can put back on and if it is that I can tell for sure b4 ordering a part..will probably go with https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=5512&jsn=4224 only $139 shipped to door less then a quarter of the fluid ones
Old 01-29-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I once bought a V-8 that had been sitting on the shop floor with weight on the balancer. That had unbalanced it to the point that the engine vibrated like heck until I replaced the balancer with a new one. You couldn't see anything wrong with the old one. If the rubber is pouching out on yours I would bet that it is causing your vibrations.

Edwin
Federic (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 02:35 PM

I went out to look again and feel around under truck and I think I figured out there is a slight variance in the amount out of round of rubber but I cannot see a wobble when it is running so who knows...went ahead and bought a new one on Rockauto for 139 with shipping and we will see...Hopefully it fixes the issue...it's definitely showing some rubber on tthe sides past the metal on both sides a fair amount...like a pudgy belly lol here is the one I ended up getting
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=5512&jsn=934
  • Unlike typical original equipment balancers that are made with press inserted dampening rubber, the bonded dampening rubber in the PowerBond Premium OEM Replacement Balancer provides superior bonding strength between the inner and outer balancer rings that minimizes spinning and dislocation in high torque and serpentine belt applications. I'M HAVING MAYBE 100 HP MORE THEN STOCK SO KNOWS IF IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE but the trouble started when I floored it going uphill towing 7500 pounds at 7000 feet so maybe it is enough to make it screw up being 25 years old maybe lol!
  • With a unique combination of high strength castings, bonded dampening rubber, and dynamic balance, the PowerBond Premium OEM Replacement Balancer is the ultimate standard replacement balancer.
nothingbutdarts (01-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Bigger Harmonic Balancer that fits 93