1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Big Dreams...300hp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Big Dreams...300hp?

So I have big dreams now, I would like to see the 300 mark with my ol' gal by this time next year. It seems like a reasonable expectation from her and im excited about the possible torque figures. It will be a gradual progression to this mark, but where should I start. The idea is to build up to it, so with the addition of a new components I would not be disproportionate with its affect? Makes sense? Should I approach it from the turbo end first, or injectors (thing outside of pump mods)? A new clutch is a must in the middle of all of this...Im looking for some input from those who have attained this number, and what they think has been the best mods they have done.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent reached 300 as far as I know on my settings, but easily attainable! I think that I would go with the turbo end of it first. At least thats how im going to have to go after my goal of 400 RWHP now. Im running into not enough turbo, and I havent even done much except IP mods!
HTT compressor upgrade would be sufficient for 300 RWHP Stage III or IV. The 16 you have now should be sufficient, unless u want better spooling. Have you done a down pipe yet? I see u have 4" straight. Once you can really feed the fire with more air, id go for injectors. Basically, there are enough things to play with on our pumps, that 300 is a good attainable goal. Ive been told by guestimaters that I should be around 250 now. And thats just 2 turns on the full fuel, and a few other things. I may have gained (ive heard) 25 more just on my fuel pin I did up last night.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 PM
DBF

Others will promote other ways, but I'd do this (easy & cheap stuff first):

1. Install the 3200rpm governor spring into the pump. Best $15 mod around.
2. Learn the VE pump, do the fuel screw, find good settings.
3. BHAF to match your 4" exhaust.
4. Clutch.
5. Injectors. I'd go PODs, but I'm partial (see dyno run in my gallery). You'll have to re-time the pump much more agressively to get the best benefit.
... That should get you there. It did for me. If not,
6. HTT Stage IV compressor for use with your 16cm housing. That's next for me.
... That will surely do it.

Regards, DBF
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 AM

The down pipe I have is the 3" from expandit, so I dont know if that counts or not. I have been looking into HTT Stage 3 and 4 and have had mixed reviews so ive been simmering on that...
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy_Customs
First, what do you use your truck for? Daily driver, tow, fun, mixed? What is your goal? BIG power, hot street ect.
This should be a canned message or in a sticky. This is what it comes down to. Then finally, how much money do you want to spend? It's hard for us to give you any opinions if we don't know how you intend to use your truck.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
This should be a canned message or in a sticky. This is what it comes down to. Then finally, how much money do you want to spend? It's hard for us to give you any opinions if we don't know how you intend to use your truck.
Kinda hard with the canned message thing arent we? Just looking for some input from the community who may be better versed in this subject. I understand the importance the vehicle use, but still, my agenda is to attain a figure. For the record, my interest is making the vehicle a little more pleasurable as a daily driver. I live in Phoenix AZ, so "dealing" with the aggressive driving behaviors of these people would be nice. I also plan on hauling a 5k trailer down to Alabama in a month and a half, and bringing a CC W250 from NC in the summer. I would like to keep the initial costs down to $1000 for the immediate mods. Suggestions bgilbert?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think just about everyone agrees the govenor spring is the biggest bang for the buck, esp. on the 5sp trucks, but you have to be wiling to open up the pump. Personally, I woudn't even think about turbo and injectors if you're being cost-conscious at all. You can probably get more than halfway there with just the spring, pump tweaks, intake and exhaust mods, maybe a smaller exhaust housing and a couple gauges for less than $500 if you do a little fab work on the intake and exhaust yourself. That's where I'm at right now.

Anyone know where is a good dyno place on the north side of Denver? I'm starting to think I'd like to validate my suspicions about the actual amount of power coming out of this thing.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 AM

More pleasurable

Originally Posted by DBF
Others will promote other ways, but I'd do this (easy & cheap stuff first):

1. Install the 3200rpm governor spring into the pump. Best $15 mod around.
2. Learn the VE pump, do the fuel screw, find good settings.
3. BHAF to match your 4" exhaust.
4. Clutch.
5. Injectors. I'd go PODs, but I'm partial (see dyno run in my gallery). You'll have to re-time the pump much more agressively to get the best benefit.
... That should get you there. It did for me. If not,
6. HTT Stage IV compressor for use with your 16cm housing. That's next for me.
... That will surely do it.

Regards, DBF
If more pleasurable is what you want, and to not get pushed around by aggressive drivers, I would follow DBF's line-up, MINUS the CLUTCH. The stock clutch is fine to almost 400hp 850ftlb if driven sanely.

Now that you're on a budget, definately go with a set of $350 ebay POD's, best bang for the buck. Then that HTT compressor upgrade. These two along with the above should make the truck a nice ~300-350rwhp 650-750rwft.lb FUN to drive truck and clock in under $1000.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Banned

Right on the head BG! You have to have some reasonable idea and
not lie to your self about how you will use that power. You can go
crazy and keep digging into the hip pocket or be reasonable and
watch others break things and go broke as you enjoy your power.

IMHO

Forgot to add that fuel will be $3.50+ this summer

Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Fuel price

59Ford I sure hope you are wrong about that fuel price
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What Bill said, the clutch will be fine if it's the stocker. DBF's recipe will get you 300 HP, do some hacking on the fuel pin (or buy an aftermarket one) and you should see at least 325 HP. EGT will be toasty, but OK for a play truck. If you want to work it, add a valet switch.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Ok, those seem to be the standard variables in the power equation. I kinda understand the canned statement now...Did not realize that would net me the figures I wanted, so thats good . Talked to a guy named Dave at HTT today, and came to the conclusion that the stage three would be a good setup (+ the above things I havent done yet) for me, but the problem is he was out of them, sooooooooooooo, I popped for the stage 4. We figured it will allow room for more fuel in the future as well as keeping my EGTs down. Valet switch???
Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Mike, when you want to tweak the pump(timing and spring), let me know. I have everything here.

The PODs will do fine, even in the heat around here, just make sure to use the really thin washers.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeThomas
Valet switch???
A valet switch controls a solenoid valve installed between the AFC housing and the manifold. It lets you "turn off" your AFC, giving you less fuel (and power) and keeping EGT lower. My truck will peg the pyro with full fuel, but in valet mode I can't get it over 1100 degrees.

There's a writeup on a valet switch install in the sticky.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Hey Fred! It nice to have a local who knows what they are doing! I would feel much more comfortable working with someone on this that has the experience... seems like the pump can be sensitive and I do not want to booger it up. Ive been calling around trying to locate the 366 but no luck yet. You say you have some? PM me and let me know what your time is worth for your instruction.

Quick Reply: Big Dreams...300hp?