1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BHT3B: If you could, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question Compounding with the BHT3B: If you could, would you?

I actually have a new BHT3B sitting on the shelf. Ive been staring at it as much as I had been at the 366 spring. Most of you know what I may be contemplating...compounds...
This is a sudo-poll; Im wondering how many of you would plumb in a set of twins verses a nice single setup, something like the S300 based HTT's. Either way I would need some beefy injectors, but I would have to do much more fabricating for the compounds. It seems that I would have the same amount of $ invested in both setups but time would be the difference.
Long term they would both need studs, o-rings, and a clutch--->I view that as a constant, so what would you do???
Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had the ability I would. I say do it. If you keep the boost to say no more than 50psi and don't hammer on it til everything is warmed up, you might be safe without an o-rings or fire rings. Do the clutch last. The stocker can put down up to 850rwftlbs if driven sanely and daily driver form. Not sure how it would do at that power level towing. Studs are expensive. Stock headbolts are good, Cummins didn't skimp any there. Spend the money on injectors, port, valve work and rings.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:09 AM

I think it all depends how much time you want to put in. If you want hours and hours in the garage, go with compounds. I'm guessing by that the time I am done, I will have atleast $600 in materials for my turbos. I don't even want to think of the number of hours. All I really do in my spare time is work on my truck because I somewhat enjoy it, so its ok with me. Now, if I had no time at all, I'd save for a big single.

Edit: My experience so far building my turbos: it's A LOT more work in real life than it seems on paper. Seems like every time I finish something I run into another snag. But hey, it wouldn't be satisfying without it!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm with Bill. If I had the fab skills and a place to work (or a much bigger budget) my truck would have twins. A set of POD's will drive twins if you turn the pump up enough.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Mike, is your sig a joke?it says p pump and pdr fuel pin in the same breath? also dont be scared of the spring, it is your friend...seriously though you will love it. much better throttle response.just make sure you tighten up all the four allen bolts hard unlike me, or else your pump will leak
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A-port, nooooooooo, piston-pump fuel pump! I could see where the confusion comes in hehe. I put the spring in the other day, quite simple...me likey.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM

oh haha my fault.its a really fun upgrade cos its so dang cheap. i cant wait to get the injectors grin on my face this summer....haha