1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

best way to get water out of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best way to get water out of fuel?

This is my first cummins to let everyone know. got a powerstroke and had a 6.5 turbo diesel. just a big thanks first off to everyone on this forum its the best ive found on the internet and has tons of info. i was spraying off the engine to hopefully find some oil leaks and now the 'water in fuel' light is on. best way to get it to go off? change fuel filter? its got a napa filter on it if that helps. thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM

replace the fuel filter and buy the one with a drain. the i buy is Fleetguard FS-1232 then you'll have to buy the drain assy
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Confedpirate
replace the fuel filter and buy the one with a drain. the i buy is Fleetguard FS-1232 then you'll have to buy the drain assy

If his WIF light is ON, then he has the filter with the drain.

ups132,

I doubt that you got water in your fuel.

Most likely is that you somehow shorted the WIF sensor wires, possibly at the point where they enter the unit at the filter-bottom.

There might be a break in the wire's insulation and the water shorted it out.

If water is actually in the fuel, then it is collected at the filter's bottom.

Push up on the drain-mechanism and drain out about a half-cup of fuel.

Catch this fuel in a clean container, a dry empty drinking-water bottle, with the top cut off, makes a good clear catcher; just make sure it is bone-dry.

Inspect the drained fuel for signs of water.

If you can't tell, there is a water-finding paste, available at any decent parts-house, that you can use to check the fuel sample.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If you did nothing more than wash the exterior of the engine, leave it alone.

More than likely, the two wires that connect to the WIF sensor have had the insulation deteriorate right there where the wires enter the sensor. As such, the water you sprayed has gotten the wires wet right there causing the WIF indicator to light up.

Just drive it to the store and back and you should be good to go.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. That happens with me if i do a car wash with an under body wash. The light comes on and after around 1-5 miles of driving its off again with no signs of water in fuel.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM

i would still drain alittle out and check it for water. i had my lite come on and it wasn't lying. luckey i made it home had to stop five times in thirty miles and drain it. finally got it all out.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
More than likely it is just the wiring that is wet, the circuit is as sensitive outside to water as the sensor is inside the canister, blow it off with compressed air.

In the 70’s the easiest fix to the Seat Belt warning dash light being on was a piece of Black Electrical tape over the lens.

I also used this fix to the Blinking 88:88 that was a common problem to the VCR in the 70’s, 80’s & then the DVD players of the 90’s.

I wash my engine compartment every time I wash the truck, I just dry it of with compressed air afterwards and then I go through and dry each connector and re-grease them with dielectric grease every other month or so.
Jim

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC847
If you did nothing more than wash the exterior of the engine, leave it alone.

More than likely, the two wires that connect to the WIF sensor have had the insulation deteriorate right there where the wires enter the sensor. As such, the water you sprayed has gotten the wires wet right there causing the WIF indicator to light up.

Just drive it to the store and back and you should be good to go.
Originally Posted by Dean Snow
Yep. That happens with me if i do a car wash with an under body wash. The light comes on and after around 1-5 miles of driving its off again with no signs of water in fuel.
Agreed... let it dry off well and it will probably go out..
BUT.. it doesnthurt to drain a little out of the filter every time you fuel to keep water out...not much, maybe a half cup or less, cheap insurance