1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best Memory

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its amazing the things you can wrap up into a truck... I hope to have some memories that deep with any of my vehicles...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was a young lad of 17, I had a 1987 F150. It was the first year that Ford put fuel injection in the F150 and let me tell you...they didn't have it worked out yet.

Anyway, I lived on the south side of Anchorage, Alaska, and the southside is also known as 'hillside'. Basically, it's the edge of town that goes up the mountains, and the highest houses are pretty well above the tree line.

Anyway, there was one road which was bad...not paved, huge ruts, and sloped down to a ditch on both sides. Well, I left a party at about 2am on a friday night and went down that road...my lil 4x4 got sucked off the side and when it made it to the bottom of the ditch, I had to roll down my windows to get out. Snow was over the hood, the doors wouldn't open...I was STUCK!

So, I walked the mile back to my buddy's house and called my dad. He had a 89 W250 with 4.10s (maybe 4.11s...whatever they came with), 4wd and the diesel (of course). He had studded snow tires on, and he showed up, dropped a shovel, told me to start digging, got out his 1/2 inch chain, and proceeded to chain all 4 tires.

My truck didn't come out of that ditch for about 1/2 mile. His truck basically pulled mine sideways through 6 feet of snow, the entire time. Didn't even flinch.

That's my best memory of these guys so far...although I just bought one, so maybe I'll be able to coerce my wife into helping me break it in in the big old bench seat...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by W150CTDproject
ever tint a white car or truck black? lol i have stacks and its fun to do to tail gaters
HAHAHA, I did that to a coworker`s white 03 ram (gasser). He had JUST washed it, boy was he PO`ed . Left a nice black streak down the side.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My best memory was the 1st 30 seconds of the test drive when I bought it, I was head over heels / hook line and sinkered.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have so many great stories of my 1st Gen. The day I found her sitting with a for sale sign off on some dead end side street in nowhere's ville when I had no business being there; the first time I got to test drive her (155k and completely stock); bringing her home for the first time; going to sign the papers on my first home in her and the subsequent move there; dreaming about how I was going to mod her once I got home when I was deployed to Iraq; taking her for a drive with the windows down and the music blaring when I was home for R&R once; the moving around after I got home finally; turning the fuel screw and installing the DennyT pin; getting her painted; the list goes on and on. There are just so many great memories of this truck that I can't just pick one of them.

I think what I love the most about these trucks is their utter simplicity. My friends, family, and coworkers all have high regards for this truck once I hope the hood and all they see is a big freaking motor that just purrs.

The most fun story has to be the day I was hauling a friend's gooseneck cattle trailer to my brother-in-law's house (who was following behind me in his F150.) Well this little yuppie in his high dollar Mercedes cuts him off and gets in between us, so he calls me and I tell him to roll up his windows and watch this. I'm rolling down the road at about 40, shift to 5th, and stomp it. Look in the passenger mirror and there is nothing but darkness behind me. At the 4-way stop sign I drop the clutch in 2nd and stomp it again and not only did the Mercedes not move but the traffic in the rest of the lanes had to just sit there and wait for the fog to dissipate so that they could see to proceed. My bro-in-law called me and could barely talk because he was laughing too hard because the yuppie in the Mercedes didn't know what to do.