1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best Memory

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
The wife and I bought our mess new in late '93. With the kids still running around, we got the clubcab. Through the years we've made a lot of memories, beach trips, mountain trips, camping, etc.

The young'uns have moved out to a life of their own and with that, the heap has turned into my version of the so called: mid-life crisis "Little Red Sports Car".

With that, the first, best memory that comes to mind is when I first started drag-racing the thing. When I handed a 2006 Porche Carrera his behind.

Name:  mouse.gif
Views: 28
Size:  13.7 KB
Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theirs a lot of great stories on here. There definately is a bond between us guys and our 1st gens. We're a different breed. I like them cuz you have to get creative cuz their isn't a lot of aftermarket parts from them. They are the first cummins that dodge had in their trucks. And they are getting more rare all the time, and they just seem to be a classic to me.

My favorite memory of my 1st gen is probably when i first drove it and fell in love with it. My grandpa bought this truck about 10 years ago after having an old GMC, and it was his farm truck. He bought it with about 100,000 on it and had it til about 224,000. He said he wouldn't buy another truck unless it had a cummins in it. Of course it was treated like a farm truck with not a lot of care. I don't remember it much when i was younger but when i got older, i started workin for him on the farm, and i remember him lettin me drive the ol dodge to the another field or somethin while he was moving farm equipment to that field. I was about 14 and didn't even have my license then but would drive around on the farm sometimes when i needed to. I remember drivin what seemed to be an old farm truck, i remember gettin in, and barely turning the key as it started right up, puttin it in drive and goin down the drove listening to the purring of the cummins motor. I remember pushin the pedal down a little harder and lookin in the mirror as their was a little haze of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe til the turbo spooled and then it would just get faster, I fell in love with the power the first time i drove it and the truck was totally stock with over 200,000 on it. From then on, I didn't think of that as an old farm truck, and thought of it as cool. I was always excited when he let me drive it. A year or so later, he told me that he didn't trust the old girl when he needed to drive far to get parts and stuff and said he'd be gettin a new truck. He got a 99 24 valve auto with a few performance parts and put a flatbed on it. When he got his new truck, I just got my license and had a little 91 nissan truck and asked what he was goin to do with the old dodge as it sat by his shop all winter covered in snow. He said he'd trade me straight across for the nissan i had cuz my uncle needed a good mileage little truck so I traded it and got the ol dodge and have been happy with it ever since. I have a smile on my face everytime i drive it and it has never let me down. My grandpa always asks me how many miles this old truck has and can't believe it still runs this strong. Some days he asks me if I wanna trade trucks when his 24 valve has problems, And i just say na i wanna keep ol' blacky.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Wow these stories are so awesome to read and hilairious too.

Dave i wish i was there they day that happened with the viper that is so awesome.

My story isnt as good but after selling my 1st 1st gen i had and then bought an 07 i missed it so much i sold my 07 and went back to a 1st gen i have so many good memories in both of them.

My greatest memory is when me and my best friend took his dads pristine 93 to utah and back for a summer trip.......best trip off my life We almost got it stuck on a jeep trail in the colorado mountains but hearing the straight pipe in the tunnels on turnpike is what sold me.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by schamran
Okay, now I need a complete list of mods from you, and I gotta come up with a check for at least $10,000. lol
um... agreed
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

beginning of senior year. Right after i built my truck i was out for a cruise looking for any bugs, mods at the time were maxed fuel screw, turned fuel pin and straight pipe. These kids from outta town were in a brand new Mustang GT350. of course i was the lucky one in a "P.O.S" according to them and thought id be an easy target to race. They were talkin smack at the red light. I put 'er in 2nd, revved it up, and when the light went green off we go. first time i ever really opened up the throttle with the pump mods. I was in heaven with the feeling as i was grabbing gears. The kids kept up but i still had them by a fender till i grabbed 5th and they passed me. Still to this day that feeling is what i crave lol that raw, unstoppable, pure horsepower and torque. plus i even like the ride of these tanks. makes me feel like im in a real truck. not some plastic piece of crap
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM

more stories this is a awesome thread!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dieselcrazyw350
more stories this is a awesome thread!
agreed this is better than I hoped for!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Well, I think the best memory I have with my old pile is this.

A few months after taking delivery on my brand spankin new used Dodge there was a guy I worked with that had a somewhat tuned up 96 cheby extended cab with a 6.5 electronic motor. He had been eggin me on to hook up to him bumper to bumper since I had bought the truck. I kept tellin him no since I was new to diesels and was still a little nervous about workin on em, and didn't really want to tear it up yet. After a few weeks went by I finaly gave in and agreed to HOOK EM UP, so we set it up for the next night. We agreed that I should have a full tank of fuel cause he out weighd me by about 1000 lbs, little did he know that when I went home that night I loaded up the toolbox full of 12x18x4 concrete landscaping stones. So the next work day rolls around and he's talkin big, I just kept my mouth shut and let him flap his gumms. So our shift ends and we go out and fire em up,by this time every one that was in our little clique at work knows about the little extracurricular activity that was about to take place in the parkin lot and bets are being placed. After the trucks are warmed up we roll out under the lights in the parkin lot and hook the strap up, I put it in 1st low and pull the strap tight, then I hear GGGGOOOOOO, I let the clutch out and stomp the throttle and start moving forward with no tire slip and I thought there is no way it was that easy, come to find out his vacuum actuated 4 wheel drive was a little slow. So we unhook and he trys to get it locked in, in the meantime another guy wants a go at me with his 76 shorty chebby with 6" of lift and 35's, I didn't want anything to do with him because I know what happens to 12bolts with big tires. But we hooked anyway and I hadn't even let the clutch all the way out when I heard what I had expected to hear. After we diagnosed his 12b as having some busted spiders the 6.5 was rarin to go. So we hook em up again, I put it in 1st low again, got the strap tight, and someone yelled go, I let the clutch out and stomped er down and went forward with no tire slip whatsoever and am running off the governer so I figured I'm gonna take him for a ride and grabbed second gear and didnt stop til the edge of the parkin lot. He couldn't believe what had just happend he had just got drug across the parkin lot by a 100% stone stock Dodge. He shook my hand and said WOW I didn't think your truck would do that.

He didn't run his mouth too much after that about his Hot 6.5 and to this day he doesn't know about the tool box full of concrete
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
My best memory to date of my old girl is beating my old; dads new, 04 chipped cummins on performance mode in a quarter mile! Also, hitting 60 in second gear after the 3200 spring was a pretty neat feeling! Straight pipe sounds mean at 3000+ rpm! And who can forget finally finding my girl after looking long and hard for 4 months. First drive was great!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
Okay, now I need a complete list of mods from you, and I gotta come up with a check for at least $10,000. lol
I think he panicked when he saw me starting to pull away and got into it too hard too low a gear. Like I said, he did not have any trouble passing me once he got it hooked back up. I only egged him on because I wanted to see that car run the way it was meant to, not because I thought I had anything for him.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Beating my buddies 425/920 (dyno proven) 2nd gen in the 1/8th mile. He gets me on the highway though.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My 89 took the wife to the hospital for the delivery of both of my kids.
She was governed at 77 mph then. I think that was a good thing.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he panicked when he saw me starting to pull away and got into it too hard too low a gear. Like I said, he did not have any trouble passing me once he got it hooked back up. I only egged him on because I wanted to see that car run the way it was meant to, not because I thought I had anything for him.
I knew it wasn't a fair race when you said he got sideways, but it's still pretty cool. Do you have an auto or a 5-speed?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM

when i smoked out a cylcist on a sidewalk. laid a cloud that he rode through, when he turned around to give me the finger, he hit a park bench, went over the dual park benchs. bent the front wheel. he was mad,

i left.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin b2
when i smoked out a cylcist on a sidewalk. laid a cloud that he rode through, when he turned around to give me the finger, he hit a park bench, went over the dual park benchs. bent the front wheel. he was mad,

i left.
ever tint a white car or truck black? lol i have stacks and its fun to do to tail gaters

Quick Reply: Best Memory