1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best gooseneck hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best gooseneck hitch?

I've used B&W turnover ball hitches on my previous 95 and 03 duallies. Is that my best choice for my 93? Does the ball socket hit the differential like it did on my 95 when fully loaded? Is there a better choice?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about B&W's. The only thing I see "wrong" with them is that when installed, they actually sit just in front of the axle rather than directly above it. This may not exactly be a problem with B&W but more so the holes in the frames of the trucks being too far forward. Just my opinion. I only know this to be an issue on 3rd gen trucks as I've seen the one in my grandfather's '03.

As for install on our trucks, their website states that drilling of the frame is required. That would allow one to center the hitch directly over the axle. One other thing I'm curious about on first gen trucks is the frame differences above the axle. Some have a slight rise/arch to them on the top rail and others are flat. So I'm told, anyway. Both of my trucks have a(n) rise/arch there. So I haven't seen a comparison.

That being said, I'm not sure how the hitch would do with that rise/arch in the frame.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I haven't heard anything bad about B&W's. The only thing I see "wrong" with them is that when installed, they actually sit just in front of the axle rather than directly above it. This may not exactly be a problem with B&W but more so the holes in the frames of the trucks being too far forward. Just my opinion. I only know this to be an issue on 3rd gen trucks as I've seen the one in my grandfather's '03.

As for install on our trucks, their website states that drilling of the frame is required. That would allow one to center the hitch directly over the axle. One other thing I'm curious about on first gen trucks is the frame differences above the axle. Some have a slight rise/arch to them on the top rail and others are flat. So I'm told, anyway. Both of my trucks have a(n) rise/arch there. So I haven't seen a comparison.

That being said, I'm not sure how the hitch would do with that rise/arch in the frame.
I don't recall having to drill any holes on my 95 or my 03 and don't look forward to drilling under there! But mounting the hitch forward of the chunk is essential to minimize interference between the hitch socket and the chunk! I had to put air bags on my 95 to jeep th hitch from banging on the chunk!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
You wouldn't be able to move the b+w any farther back then where it is intended to go without modifing the plate. My truck is lifted but the directions do state not to carry the ball upside down if you have a 2wd.

The holes are all drilled from up top. Pretty easy. I think cab and chassis have flat frames and would require a different hitch
Old 05-28-2012, 05:18 PM

On my 95 the receiver struck the chunk without the ball mounted.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 PM

What brand of bags are you guys using? I have to install a gooseneck in my 96 and they Air-lift kit said side mount hitches will not work as im guessing they move the top of the bag out???
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by gyman98
You wouldn't be able to move the b+w any farther back then where it is intended to go without modifing the plate. My truck is lifted but the directions do state not to carry the ball upside down if you have a 2wd.

The holes are all drilled from up top. Pretty easy. I think cab and chassis have flat frames and would require a different hitch
Cab and chassis trucks do not have a flat frame over the axle. Mine is proof of that. That is why I stated my concerns in my initial post.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM

I put a B&W turnover in my 92, the first time I put 2 tons of coal on it I found out I couldn't do that without the ball hitting. I made a plug for the hole and removed the ball when hauling heavy. Since then I installed Air-Lift bags and have no problems with whatever I put in the bed. I really like the hitch and the bags.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Cab and chassis trucks do not have a flat frame over the axle. Mine is proof of that. That is why I stated my concerns in my initial post.
My apologies, I've never owned one just heard they did. I was thinking about the b & w and if the "L" notches were cut down it should be able to slide back some
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bencie
I put a B&W turnover in my 92, the first time I put 2 tons of coal on it I found out I couldn't do that without the ball hitting. I made a plug for the hole and removed the ball when hauling heavy. Since then I installed Air-Lift bags and have no problems with whatever I put in the bed. I really like the hitch and the bags.
Does your frame have the small arch on the top rail above the rear axle that I mentioned?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
You actually want the hitch a few inches in front of axle centerline, it puts a little load on the front of the truck. I have a Reese, Ive abused it for over a million miles. Had 5K on the ball, no problems. Its 2 rails with a plate that uses 4 pins to hold it in, pull the pins and remove the plate or if you want to use a 5th wheel, just set it on the rails and pin it in...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Does your frame have the small arch on the top rail above the rear axle that I mentioned?
Yes it does and so does my '82 cab & chassis.

Also Jimbo the front edge of the B&W hitch is made with about a 1" 90* bend down to allow for the hump in frame, the rear of the hitch is flat and lays on top of the hump, you can't slide the hitch back or it won't be level. So I would assume they intend for the ball to actually be ahead of center of the rear.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM

I used Firestone bags on my 95, and no bags on my 03 The 03 had no interference problems - it was 4WD. The 95 required the bags - it was 2WD.