1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best Diesel Fuel Additive for 1st gen Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 10:25 PM

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
I mix up a bottle of Walmart's finest 2 cycle oil with a bottle of white Power Service and a small bottle of Power Service Diesel Kleen to make an even 2 gallons. I've been running that mix for around 20 years with no problems. However, due to the cost and decreasing availability of both ingrediencies, I will be transitioning over to Hotshot. There was a "lubricity study" done by a group decades ago on this subject. I thought it was posted somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it. It shows a number of different well known additives and how they stood up to testing. I also believe there are some YouTubes on the subject.
I read that thread front to back. Good resource. I still have some Howe's in the shop. Have a jug of the grey Hotshot.

I swear by Marvel Mystery oil in my Buicks for the injectors and lubing the fuel pump as ethanol doesn't have the lubricity straight gas does. My injectors are 243K on my '97. They are original, they look like new.

Marvel came out worthless in that diesel thread.

Yes they cut back on sulfur in the diesel fuel. They did add lubricity additives to replace it. Formulation will vary from the sellers. Labeled fuels will have better additives than your bottom tier chemicals/fuel you get at Racetrack, Speedway etc. Other stuff they stick in fuels is algaecides. Not everybody's fuel has it.

Racetrack buys from the bottom of the big tanks hence the name "bottom tier chemicals."

Just because the fuel came from Exxon, or Shell it isn't the best additives as their "branded" fuel.

Yes, I was a fuel hauler for a while.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:53 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Interesting. So even though Speedway and Racetrack sell massive amounts of fuel, while it may be fresh, it isn't as good as other branded fuels due to their additives - which actually make a difference?

I was under the assumption that most all branded fuel was relatively the same. Just minor added tweaks for marketing. Thus the only stuff you didn't want to buy was places that had little turnover (thus stale fuel) or where the fuel truck was unloading (mixing bottom sediments into the fuel).

We had a Racetrack open here near the interstate. It and the Shell across the street have been having price wars on and off for months now. Been getting my diesel at the Shell which is 0.01 cent cheaper for $0.30-40 total less per gallon.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:07 AM

Frequently when you are at the loading rack for gas you might run out of allocation for Racetrack. It's because you are in the bottom half of the big tank. More chance of trash going down lower. Anyway we would have to go to different locations to get gas due to allocation. Mid grade was frequently a PITA to find. (2011) most fuel stations nowadays it's blended from premium and regular at the pump.

We would have a big list for loading fuel in a book. Put in different codes and come up dry. Go to a different supplier on the list until you got allocation.

Pilot doesn't have a refinery, Love's? No. Valero, yes. Exxon yes. Shell, yes. BP used to. Not sure what their thing is anymore. Marathon yes.

Because Racetrack buys bottom tier they get a better price. Thortons, and Speedway have their own trucks nowadays. Didn't used to.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Interesting. So even though Speedway and Racetrack sell massive amounts of fuel, while it may be fresh, it isn't as good as other branded fuels due to their additives - which actually make a difference?
I have no idea if the additives make a difference. The branded fuels have their own specific formulations they develop. So it may come out of Exxon's refinery and the same tank as their branded. Just won't have their special sauce.

We could get in a world of trouble delivering nonbranded fuel to a branded station.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't use synthetic oils in anything. See no benefits using it. I have been running waste dino oils of all types with no problem for 50 years. Cummins actually recommended it in the old days. I prefer transmission fluid, engine oil and hydraulic oil but have run other oils as well up to 80% mix. Gasoline can be used in winter to thin oil up to 10% in cold areas. Naysayers just don't get it. Trans fluid and hydraulic oil cleans injectors and fuel systems. Argue if you wish but it works.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dguru
I don't use synthetic oils in anything. See no benefits using it. I have been running waste dino oils of all types with no problem for 50 years. Cummins actually recommended it in the old days. I prefer transmission fluid, engine oil and hydraulic oil but have run other oils as well up to 80% mix. Gasoline can be used in winter to thin oil up to 10% in cold areas. Naysayers just don't get it. Trans fluid and hydraulic oil cleans injectors and fuel systems. Argue if you wish but it works.

Pulled this from a Ford site."If you pour a little Dextron on your fingers and rub them together you will feel a, for lack of a better word, grit. Do the same with Type F and power steering fluid and you won't feel the same amount of grit. GM put the "grit" in the trans fluid so they could run lower clutch pressures in their automatic transmissions and Ford had to run higher pressures. At least this is how it was explained to me about 20 years ago in a Preventative Maintenance class that I was sent to."

You want to run grit through your IP and injectors have at it.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:48 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker
Frequently when you are at the loading rack for gas you might run out of allocation for Racetrack. It's because you are in the bottom half of the big tank. More chance of trash going down lower. Anyway we would have to go to different locations to get gas due to allocation. Mid grade was frequently a PITA to find. (2011) most fuel stations nowadays it's blended from premium and regular at the pump.

We would have a big list for loading fuel in a book. Put in different codes and come up dry. Go to a different supplier on the list until you got allocation.

Pilot doesn't have a refinery, Love's? No. Valero, yes. Exxon yes. Shell, yes. BP used to. Not sure what their thing is anymore. Marathon yes.

Because Racetrack buys bottom tier they get a better price. Thortons, and Speedway have their own trucks nowadays. Didn't used to.
Interesting stuff Rug Tucker, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:07 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by dguru
I am not arguing anything. I am just telling you I will not run ATF through my motors.

I know plenty of people that do, looks like you are one of them.

No argument, just two people doing things differently.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nothingbutdarts (04-11-2024), Rug_Trucker (05-27-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:41 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Up here in AK, it doesn't matter what the label says, it all comes from the same truck from the same depot from the same refinery with the same additives. The only real difference is the price, as much as 50 cents a gallon in the same town.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=cougar;3388644]Up here in AK, it doesn't matter what the label says, it all comes from the same truck from the same depot from the same refinery with the same additives. The only real difference is the price, as much as 50 cents a gallon in the

I think I stated it comes out of the same tanks. BRANDED fuel WILL have additives specific to the seller's design.

Additives are injected into the stream as it's on it's way into the hog head.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I use prolube in my engine and I run two stroke, winter time I add power service.

For the two stroke it's a cup per 30g
Old 04-22-2024, 10:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker
Pulled this from a Ford site."If you pour a little Dextron on your fingers and rub them together you will feel a, for lack of a better word, grit. Do the same with Type F and power steering fluid and you won't feel the same amount of grit. GM put the "grit" in the trans fluid so they could run lower clutch pressures in their automatic transmissions and Ford had to run higher pressures. At least this is how it was explained to me about 20 years ago in a Preventative Maintenance class that I was sent to."

You want to run grit through your IP and injectors have at it.
HeHe Funny you say that. I would know nothing about GM because GM is made for people who think with emotion not logic. I refuse to work on one. I did nurse a few detroit diesels back when I was a poor chap but transplanted 855s into them to lower maintenance and down time ASAP. Now days I would not buy any of the Big 3 as they are all junk. I only have some Dodges because of Cummins but the bodies are trash. Type F is garbage too. Dump that stuff and pour in some TDH. Same with dodge fluid. BTW my dodge service truck has 450K with original injectors and I have run thousands of gallons of waste oil in it. Cummins has been castrated by the greenies so its all junk now, Thats why all you young chaps are here wanting to get some of the "holey grail".
Old 04-30-2024, 04:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Just filled up the tank and so have some feedback about Hotspot. Definitely a bit quieter overall, with improved idle with improved performance and acceleration. Honestly I'd say all of these improvements make it a much better solution for me, here in Colorado, than Stanadyne or Lucas treatment. I should have some MPG results in a couple of months as well.
The following users liked this post:
Rug_Trucker (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
The latest with Hot Shot is really good. Acceleration is much more instantaneous, even and smoother overall. Much more black smoke though.
The following users liked this post:
Rug_Trucker (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:43 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by 67IHC
The latest with Hot Shot is really good. Acceleration is much more instantaneous, even and smoother overall. Much more black smoke though.

Black smoke tells me that more fuel is likely being delivered. Or that Hot Shot doesn't burn well and is coming out the tail pipe as smoke.

Quick Reply: Best Diesel Fuel Additive for 1st gen Cummins?