1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bent frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent frame?

I think I bent my frame , or maybe twisted it.My truck sat alittle lower on the pasenger front befor the cummins, after it looked a little worse. I thought it was a bent spring. I decided to put on different springs in the front , which led to new spring mounts so I could use longer springs. I used 3/4 ton chevy rear springs in the front. They ride great by the way, but now It leans worse than ever . I dont get it. the mounts are square, they are at the same hight, I have added extra cross members just in case, I have a 3/4 ton frame , its the same thickness(3/16) as the dodge frames, so I dont think I could twist it. Although that cummins is a beast! Any way any Ideas or simmiler problums. I thought of taking it to a frame shop, but if it is twisted , wont it just happen again? maby I should upgrade to somthing biger? frame wise that is ..
Old 04-18-2006, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have 4 jack stands that are the same size set them up with the front ones under the frame at the cowel area and the rears infront of the rear springs. SAFETY FIRST!!!Raise it high enough to get the tires off the floor and let the suspension hang Again make sure the stands are the same hight side to side and take a tape measure and measure equal places on each side of the frame to the floor this will eliminate tire size,air pressure and spring rate.Frame rails are for the most part semetrical so look them over to see if the shape is the same side to side.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM

A body shop probaly wouldnt charge you much over a hour to check it to see if it was straight. At least thats what we would charge.

Id also try swapping the spring packs side-to side. And then the tires.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Well I played around with it last night a little, I tryed parking on level ground, and measuring all four wheel openings and also body hieght from the ground.
The hole passenger side is low, with the front the worse. I then tryed putting a bottle jack between the fram and axle and jacking it up to see if it is in the front or back. If I jack up thefront to level, the rear on the same side is then to high by 1/2 inch or so. Then I tryed the rear, after I had it up to level, then the front on that side was still a little low. So I put the front on Jack stands and I am going to try to swap the springs in the front from side to side. If it is still low then I will mess with the rear. If I swap both front and back and it is still low then it must be frame, unless the truck is heavyer on that side?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Well, I swapped the front springs from side to side, the one that was on thre driverside was about 1/4" taller when I set them side by side. but I did the swap and she sits within 3/8 side to side. so whatever it was she is goog now. Now I can go camping this weekend and not be obsessing over it al weekend have a good one and thanks for the Ideas.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to do collision repair and I have seen springs cause a bunch of problems along with tire and rim size.Glad thats all it was.