1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

been sitting up a while whats first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been sitting up a while whats first?

Lookin at getting a 92 cummins it has been sittin up for almost two years what to do first? Clams it was running when parked just bought a new truck and never touched it again.....
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Make sure it's got oil and coolant and try to start it. If it runs, drive it.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the air cleaner for critter nests. Don'T want to suck them through the turbo.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Make sure it's got oil and coolant and try to start it. If it runs, drive it.
Just like a seasonal tractor.

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
Check the air cleaner for critter nests. Don'T want to suck them through the turbo.
Ditto. Ive seen mice create nests in trucks that have only sat for a day or two. If its been two years, I'd definitely check it out.

Also, you might wanna take an extra charged battery just in case the one in it is dead or wont hold a charge.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Well she busted right off like you never sat her up.... No leaks except for driver axle seal.... Cold air and all i'll post a few pics later this week. After I wash her up and service it some...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Well I tightened the battery cables and turned the key and drove her home don't get much easyer than that. I gonna wash her up and give her a servicing this week... I'll be posting pics soon and let ya'll tell me what you think....
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sat for two years and the BATTERY DIDN'T DIE ????!!!

i can't leave a truck sit here for more than a month without the battery dying.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 PM

mine sat in a farm field for 2 years. i put a battery in it, checked the oil disconneced the fuel line and ran it into a bucket of fuel a couple cranks and it was running i was exstatic i knew i had something good on my hands now im hooked on cummins.

its an addiction
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

i can't leave a truck sit here for more than a month without the battery dying.

No joke.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Ace
Banned

I use those little float chargers on the old Mopars that don't get driven but once a month or less. It's hard on a car battery to drain it and recharge it over and over again. Letting it sit dead can ruin one too.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I have at least fifteen of this one :

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

When I bought the first one, I was somewhat skeptical; I tried it on a battery-eating riding-mower and it has kept the same battery in ready to start condition for going on five years.

To make using them more convenient, I clip off the alligator-clips and replace them with a pig-tail plug, also putting a pig-tail plug on the battery(s).

On some of my stuff, I have one of the chargers mounted under the hood, with the "transformer" connected to a short dollar-store cord, and the male end of that cord hanging out somewhere accessible; on these, I always dis-connect the charger from the battery, prior to starting/running the engine.

On others, I have mounted a charger on a narrow strip of plywood, also with a cheapie cord, and then slide the charger/plywood inside a plastic anti-freeze jug that has had the top cut off, screwing the plastic to the plywood and leaving about a foot of plywood sticking out.

The "anti-freeze jug" becomes a rain-proof building for the charger, and the protuding length of plywood allows me to screw it to a post; the 110-AC and charger pig-tail hang out the open bottom of the jug.(as a side benefit, these also make wonderful homes for the various species of wasp)

The one that maintains the charge on that mower mentioned above has been residing outside, in the weather, in one of these little plastic houses, since day one; I park the mower beside the post, plug in the pigtails, and it takes care of itself.

Before the float-chargers/maintainers, it was a time-consuming task involving a running truck and jumper-cables, not to mention that this wasn't always successful, just to get a seldom used vehicle started so I could move it for whatever reason.

Then, once I did get it started, usually I had better not let the engine die, or I would be having to "jump" it again.

Not so since I started using the chargers; the batteries are always HOT, alive, and ready to go.