1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Been busy

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile Been busy

We've had a break in the heat and humidity the last couple days so I got to move a couple things off the bench. My truck now has a valet switch and a piston lift pump.

The valet switch isn't as effective as I had hoped, I can still get it too hot without the water/meth. With the water/meth going, the pyro stops at 1300 degrees. The smoke almost completely goes away after 10 psi, just a gray haze. With the valet off, it will trail black smoke for as long as I keep my foot in it.

The piston lift pump was a pretty easy install. I spent more time looking for the banjo bolt gasket that I dropped and trimming the tappet cover insulation a second time (didn't hack off enough the first time ) than I did swapping parts. Fuel pressure at idle is up from 7 psi to somewhere around 18 psi (15 psi gauge). I took 'er for a spin and it did feel stronger at high RPM. I feel a lot better knowing that I have good fuel pressure under load.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: Been busy

Originally posted by wannadiesel
The piston lift pump was a pretty easy install. I spent more time looking for the banjo bolt gasket that I dropped and trimming the tappet cover insulation a second time (didn't hack off enough the first time ) than I did swapping parts. Fuel pressure at idle is up from 7 psi to somewhere around 18 psi (15 psi gauge). I took 'er for a spin and it did feel stronger at high RPM. I feel a lot better knowing that I have good fuel pressure under load. [/B]
I'd been wondering if the hotrod lift pump was an upgrade for the newer trucks (I haven't given it any more thought based on that assumption ).

Perhaps I should look at more than just the pictures.

Cutting to the quick though . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ummm . . . . . . . .. what'cha got Dave?

EDIT: Did a search. But who am I kidding? If I turned it up more, the EGT's would go out the roof.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrads on the new piston lift pump. Your VE will appreciate it .
Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Cutting to the quick though . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ummm . . . . . . . .. what'cha got Dave?
It's a piston lift pump from Cummins, similar to what the 2nd gen 12 valves have but with a weaker spring for lower fuel pressure. It roughly doubled my fuel pressure at idle. According to the curves in my Cummins book, it puts out a little more volume as well.

More info here: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ad.php?t=72247

Altogether it cost about $180 to do. The pump oughta be gold-plated for what they charge. Took 'em 2 months to get the new fuel line, too.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:16 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Wow! Get outa my head Dave!

I was just finishing reading that thread.

I guess it still begs the question: Would I benefit from such an upgrade? I'm currently running at 34ish psig boost at WOT. I've got the fuel screw backed out to keep the EGT's at a max of 1250ish *F. (It's all I can do to keep from getting one of the Snow kits with the proportional control).

ARRRRG!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:30 PM

BC847, check your fuel pressure at WOT, that zero psi will make you want this mod alot more .
Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 PM

I am a bit concerned. I was told here on DTR that you should never go over 13 PSI on a ve, it could blow seals or something. Just my 2 cents, only repeating what I heard but dont know the facts. Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:05 PM

This piston pump was designed by Cummins to replace the weak diapragm lift pump on industrial engines. It's an upgrade to be used with a VE pump. They feel its ok to feed the VE. Most of these piston pumps only run 14-15psi tops. Now if you could sustain 13psi at wot, then you got yourself a good setup. Stock lift pumps will only get you around 5-7psi idle, which is sucked down quickly with a modified/hungry VE.

When I replaced mine with a piston pump, my LP was just about dead, 3psi idle, 0psi wot. It would be nice to see if any HP/torque gains come from this mod. Dyno before and after same day with same mods. Either way I'm sure the VE appreciates a constant supply of fuel, unlike the wimpy stock LP that can't keep up with a modified VE.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM

i did the piston lift pump two months ago, tell them to ship that fuel line. it took a month to get mine on backorder, but i had everything else the day i walked in there...

wonder how difficult it is to rebuild that pump should it fail...
Old 08-25-2005, 11:49 PM

where are you guys getting the lift pump and other cummins parts, online? or at a dealer?

my local dealership doesnt use cummins part numbers and cant cross-reference them to dodge numbers.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Another option is the "pump only" FASS system. My brother put one on his 92 and has found a noticable improvement in throttle response and much better on the highway as well. This setup doesn't have the filters in the kit, just the pump.

pb....
Old 08-26-2005, 08:03 AM

So that's why you haven't been on in daylight hours

I'm glad to hear your happy with the pump. I'll have to wait thil Oct to get a ride
your #'s should improve a bit

Michael
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
That's cool that you got your lift pump on the truck. I was secretly hoping that we would have time to tackle that while I was down there -- I wanted to see how the line went in from the LP to the filter . . . Maybe you can post some add'l pics in your gallery? Also, does one really have to buy the new line? 20 psi is not outside the realm of hose-clamps

So, with no boost to the AFC you have enough fuel to toast the engine . . . But the AFC is still making a difference. I am wondering if you could have ground less off of the AFC lever and still gotten the same max fueling, but kept a little more of the AFC's effectiveness -- there isn't a whole lot of room to measure what is going on in there . . . makes it hard to figure out how much to take off.

Well, your valet switch will keep you safe until you run out of meth . . .
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 AM

Wanna's engine is never SAFE ... but he's careful
Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 AM

We all want to thanks Dave in his ventures as they are for the better of the beast! Then all we have to do is ask and ye shall receive! Sounds like something the great reverend would say or PB!

Quick Reply: Been busy