1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen!!!

And - - we get "peer over the shoulder" so to speak as you are doing this. I for one have read this with interest. Even though I do not have plans to do a twin
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM

I think it looks great. I'm glad you're happy with it. I was simply surprised that there wasn't a primary support included for that price! I know us first gen owners are a little more hard pressed to figure something out for primary supports since we're lacking the tapped holes in the side of the block. I used the oil pan flange on the block for my support and have had no problems.

I'm sure you could have fabbed your own set if you wanted BC, especially after seeing your other awesome posts/writeups.

As for my tooling... it's pretty pathetic. I did mention machining the flanges flat, but what I didn't mention is that I used a few hours of my life and a belt sander to do so. Other than that I have a TIG, torch, chop saw, grinder and hand tools. A lot can be done with basic stuff!!

Oh yeah, need more fuel than DDP4's now?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
As for my tooling... it's pretty pathetic. I did mention machining the flanges flat, but what I didn't mention is that I used a few hours of my life and a belt sander to do so. Other than that I have a TIG, torch, chop saw, grinder and hand tools. A lot can be done with basic stuff!!

Oh yeah, need more fuel than DDP4's now?
Nah, I'm cool with everything.

I sooo want a MIG & TIG welder. My problem is knowing when enough is big enough!

mmmmmmmmmmm . .. .. .. EDMs.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I used mig, oxy/acet torch, chop saw, die grinder(s), basic hand tools, then what not everyone has access to, real good machine shop, use of big mig and tig machines, exhaust shop with vehicle lift and all of the above, etc etc. Not to mention I couldn't have done it myself without the help of a real good welder/fabricator.

BC, I think you'll see higher than those HP #'s, look to see at least 400hp.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Generation Admin

I think I'm gonna throw-up!

This is an A1 nut (on the head studs). Installed as per written instruction, hot-torqued to 125ft/lbs three times after the initial install.

Antifreeze bubbling around the stud between #5 and #6.

What say you?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Defective part. Ive never seen a nut split with out help.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, I'd give ARP a call on that one. Hopefully it'll seal up with a retourque. It'd really suck to have to pull all that back apart and change the HG.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

I parked it last night with no hint of any issues. Didn't smell/see any antifreeze for sure.

After work today, I drove it gently into town and back (4 miles round trip so it was still not up to minimum operating temperature). Thankfully I don't think it saw more than 10psig boost in the process.

It sure would be nice if it were to reseal.

There are days when I firmly believe God has BIG plans for me. To take things to this fine a detail with the primary goal of being reliable, and have a hardened nut split bringing it all to a screeching halt. Testing my resolve I suppose.

Note to self . . . . Breath in, breath out, repeat as needed.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That Sucks, sorry to hear that.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Generation Admin

Well it turns out the stud "Kit" I got from PDR is from Haisley Machine http://www.haisleymachine.com/. They use A1 studs with ARP nuts and washers.

PDR is replacing the nut and I've got another Cummins .010" over head gasket on the way.

>sigh<

The swap should go fairly quick as I'm rather familiar with under the hood. We'll see . . . . .

The O-rings in the head should be reusable, shouldn't they?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM

I reused mine and I know others have as well. I cant say that is the "best" way but mine holds just fine. I run in the 50psi range with lots of timing and meth and have yet to see any issues. I'd say slip in the gasket and get her back on the road.

Very nice build by the way!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BC847
The O-rings in the head should be reusable, shouldn't they?
If they're like fire rings, they are a one time use crush part. They shouldn't cost much, replace them while the heads off, JMO.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
1st Generation Admin

I'm told that the O-rings are a permanently installed part and generally are reusable.

I just got off the phone with Brice (sp?) of Haisley Machine and have learned that at one time, the Haisley stud kit used A1 studs with APR nuts and washers.
At this time Haisley now uses A1 components exclusively (studs, nuts & washers).

While PDR is replacing the nut with no issue, they are kinda balking at replacing the stud (this is not to suggest they aren't making an effort to help where they can). In looking really hard at the threads of the stud, it's evident to me that there has been damage albeit minor. Regardless, I've got too much money and time invested to be dinking around with a questionable stud.
Screw it! To expedite getting this junk on the road, I've purchased a replacement stud, nut and washer directly from Haisley. Those with Haisely who can call shots are in Texas for a big Diesel race deal so it'll be next week before folks can fight about it.

I hope to have everything back together by the end of next weekend.

We'll see . . . .
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then take some videos please. Really want to hear those turbos spool.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues.... I agree with you though - move ahead. Sometimes the time spent trying to get things taken care of because a defect is not worth the price of the part.

I hope the reinstallation of the part goes smooth for you.

Regards,

Quick Reply: BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)