1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Yep. Had it since new and sold it in Jan. for $18K after stripping off the twins and P7100
Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Thanks for stepping in and commenting Mark. That represents the quality customer support offered by PDR.

As Mark has pointed out, one certainly doesn't have to take things as far as I have, but then, they told Columbus he'd fall off the earth if he went that far.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Generation Admin

OK, got a few more things done . . . . . .

- Got the waste-gate reference hose installed and connected with the water/methanol controller reference hose.
- Got the EGT probe wiring extended and connected.
- Got the cab heat hot water valve vacuum line extended and connected.
- Reinstalled the transmission fluid.
- Reinstalled the engine coolant.

Then there's that primary trubocharger support mount.

Rooting around under the shop found me some 3" x 3" x 1/4" thick angle iron.
With a bunch of crawling under the truck, cypher'in, and eyeball'in, I whittled out a piece that bolts to the passenger's engine mount, right there where the transmission's heat exchanger's mount use to be.

I then whittled another piece that bolts under the primary's oil drain adapter.

The oil drain and associated bolts actually go through the mount so as to have the mount offer full support.

The two pieces are connected to each other with three bolts that go through somewhat over-sized holes. The big holes allow a bit of adjustability on one plane. Spacers and washers allow adjustability on another plane.

Here's those mounting bolts on the rear of my trucks passenger's engine mount.

Looking from under the truck, you can see those bolts on the engine mount as well as the primary's oil drain.

Now slip the support mount in there . . ..

And finish by installing the primary's oil drain hose.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 AM
1st Generation Admin

With that I got me a Goody's headache powder and washed it down with a cool Mountain Dew.

And remembered I need to install the engine oil.

OK so Hook up the battery's negative cable . . .. . and climb into the cab.

I use the manual shutdown cable to keep the engine from firing while I run the starter for thirty seconds or so. All to get the engine's oil pressure up, purging any remaining air from the new turbocharger oil feed lines.

I stop and look around the truck one more time to see if I've forgotten anything ... and then start the truck.

It stumbles a moment as it's been sitting I guess for almost two months with it's guts open. It smooths on out and carries on like any other CTD. I let it idle for thirty minutes or so to let things come up to normal operating temps. All the while I'm looking for any kind of leaks. Found one cab heat hose trying to drip and tightened it. Otherwise, all looks good.

. . . . . . . .

So what if it's late-thirty a m. Let's get it on the road!

Long story short . . . .

It's developing right at 55psig boost on no2 only. Prior to this mess, it'd peg the needle just past 1600*F right quick at WOT. Now, it struggles to get to 1250*F.

Now it's well after late-thirty. I've blown off the boot that attach's to the inlet of the secondary, then the boot on the secondary's discharge elbow.

That last one went with a BOOM!!

I figured that was my sign, so I took it home, let it cool down, and shut it off.

Found a little transmission fluid weeping from one of the temperature sensors.

I'll sort all that out in the morning.

Then see how it likes the booze and KSB hot-wiring.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Videos are required.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad to hear you got it up and running! This gives me hope that I can do twins with my minimal tools and facilities - just gotta come up with the cash for the kit.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave, look in the 1st. gen classifieds. There is a brand new twins set up for sale by hfletcher. I talked to him recently because i'm purchasing his dually fenders and he told me about the twins for sale. This could be your chance for mooooorrrre powerr!!! ..... BC (dave) i'll see you at j'ville for our chapter drag/dyno. Where are you staying?? Augie Dog
Old 10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
BC (dave) i'll see you at j'ville for our chapter drag/dyno. Where are you staying?? Augie Dog
I'll most likely be staying up the road at Indian Beach.
I've still a bunch of shake-down stuff to do. I hope to make a pass or two at Dunn-Benson this Thursday.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id love to see a 1/4 mile time too.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Generation Admin

Baring any unscheduled "BOOM!"s, I plan on making a few passes at the Dunn-Benson (local) 1/8th mile track this coming Thursday. Then Friday night at the Coastal Plains 1/4th mile track. And finally a dyno run Saturday. I'm hoping somebody can get some video of my heap this Fri/Sat.

I expect to be working out any kinks between now and then. I've just now completed re-evaluating and adjusting all the charge-air boots and associated band-clamps.

I wonder how the W/M is gonna get along with stuff? Lets go see . . . . . .
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Wow, I may have read the post wrong, but does this kit not come with a primary support? I'd expect, for the price, that it should come with EVERYTHING. I wouldn't wanna be standing around with a grinder and a welder after I dropped 4g on the kit.

Looks great, though.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM

Great to hear it is on the road..
Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
Wow, I may have read the post wrong, but does this kit not come with a primary support? I'd expect, for the price, that it should come with EVERYTHING. I wouldn't wanna be standing around with a grinder and a welder after I dropped 4g on the kit.

Looks great, though.
I've been saying it's not a bolt on kit for years. For the price I'd almost want it installed. Earlier in this thread:
Originally Posted by bgilbert
I'm still in the build it yourself camp, especially how seeing this still isn't a bolt up kit.
My set is no where near a cobbled up set up like CK's, looks just as good as this PDR set minus the fancy painting/coating and cost me under a grand for all the parts. S400 was the biggest purchase at $650.

Sorry to sound negative BC. It just looks to me you have plenty of ability and could've done some simple fabbing and gathering of the materials yourself. I know time is money but is your time worth that much?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Generation Admin

Folks, I paid $2450 for the kit. That does not include the secondary turbo, it's exhaust housing , nor exhaust manifold.

With the exception of the primary's support, it includes everything needed. Primary turbo, it's hot pipe adapter, a 4" hot-pipe, an adapter to connect the HX35 to the hot-pipe (This system can easily be converted to a secondary with a 4" exhaust outlet, just bolt it in), 4" down-pipe for the 1st gen, and all stainless V-band clamps for the hot stuff. The cold-side includes all the 4-ply silicone boots, 3" stainless steel intermediate pipe, secondary to IC stainless steel pipe, as well as all the fancy spring loaded band-clamps for that. A 4" air filter to primary pipe (I skipped the AFE filter for my Stock-pot mess).
Both turbo stainless braided AN4 oil supply lines and adapters to connect them. All adapters and flanges to connect the turbo oil drains to the engine with 5/8 socket-less hose.

PDR can't come up with a single support bracket for this kit that will fit all the variations of the 1st gen (The manual trans has NO mounting pad on the engine mount such as I used for example).

My earlier post about possibly having to notch the frame for clearance was in error. After moving things around more, it became apparent I had plenty of space.

At this point in time, I don't have adequate tools for fabricating iron over 1/4". What you see that I have done has been with a band-saw, basic oxy/acc torch, an angle grinder, and belt sander. Otherwise, your basic hand tools.

Ilikebikes, unless I'm mistaken, I read in your twins thread about having to machine the hot-pipe flanges with the completion of welding so as to have flat and true surfaces to seal with. I'm lacking in that tool department.

What you see that I have done has been under a frigg'in tarp.

Certainly, I did a lot more than is necessary to bolt the twin kit in, but that's me. Frankly, I've got more invested in the Jet-Hot coating than the stupid primary cost.

Without my going back and looking hard, I believe I've got about a week of evenings actually installing the twins kit. In my experience with my heap, the twin thing was the easiest.

I feel good about how it's turned out and look forward to the CTD performing well considering how conservative it is when compared to what many other people are doing with the same truck/engine.

With my current fueling, I expect around 375hp/775 ~ 800ft/lbs to the ground on no.2 exclusively. All with EGTs of no more than 1250*F (preturbo).

At the end of the day, all that matters is how I like it huh.

This thread has never been meant to boast how strong this is, or how cheap that is. Just another example as to what one might expect to deal with in installing a pair of turbochargers. If one has the time, patients, and means of building a system from absolute scratch, then by all means, go for it and save some money. Personally, I find aggravation expensive.

Anyhoot, I've had fun doing it, and expect to have a lot more fun surprising a lot of gassers goofing around at the local track. Fun, that's what it's all about.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
At the end of the day, all that matters is how I like it huh.
That's it exactly.

Very cool Write-up. Glad you took us along for the ride.

Quick Reply: BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)