1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)

Well, this has been a while coming. The wife apparently wasn't paying attention to me again (imagine that) when I mentioned the truck would be down for a while. She said "Yeah, OK, what ever" without even looking away from her card game.

>BC giggles like a little girl<

After considering the time it takes to fabricate the hot-pipe stuff, etc. Just to find it needs tweaking . . .. . . . . and re-fabricating. I broke down a bought a PDR Stage 1 twin turbo kit from PDR. It's the common BHT3B under an HX35 hybrid. With the goals I have for my heap, it should serve me very well. We'll see.

From what I make of things, these two parts alone will trim a great deal of time that would otherwise be spent trying to make them, and have them work and fit right.

My plans are ~

This week,
- Remove the existing turbocharger and exhaust manifold. The existing transmission heat exchanger and down-pipe.
- From there, I'm gonna do a little port matching of stuff and then send all the hot parts less the down-pipe for Jet-Hot coating.
- Then go to the beach for the weekend.

Next week, I plan on (I'm on-call for work that week so who knows) . . . .
- Relocating the transmission heat exchanger to the driver's side of the transfer case. There, I'll install a new Cummins heat exchanger (I don't want to risk the original popping) with a new supplemental cooler and integrate it with the spin-on trans fluid filter I have there now.
- Tap the engine oil pan and weld a bung in the side of it for the primary turbo's oil drain.

The following week (pending the Jet-Hot parts)
- Put it all back together.

So you folks in central North Carolina, if it all of the sudden goes to storming with heavy rain and strong winds, . . . . . . . well, it's me in the back yard working under a tarp!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm jealous.

Do you have an HX35 that you will be running already or is a new one part of the package?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by fanbrain
Do you have an HX35 that you will be running already or is a new one part of the package?
I already have the PDR version of an HX35 hybrid with a 14cm wastegated exhaust housing. The ATS exhaust manifold, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Sounds like you're set. Turn it up to 11 .
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Nice, Its going to look and run great.

But your doing all this work and your not going to do the head?

Oh and were did you get the transmission cooler, and how much $$$$ if you dont mine me asking?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are all those gold and silver looking things in the bag in the top right???
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM

man that is sweet

Also.. I may be able to come down Aug 16th weekend.. let me know..

oh and you stink
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
What are all those gold and silver looking things in the bag in the top right???
they look like push lock fitting possibley for the heat exchanger or oil lines going to the turbo.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by daking
But your doing all this work and your not going to do the head? Oh and were did you get the transmission cooler, and how much $$$$ if you dont mine me asking?
The head is quite done ~ https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=192874

O-ringed . . .

And ported by PDR for 195cfm in, and 220cfm out

The oil cooler is of the bar & plate design from Fluidyne http://www.fluidyne.com/

AN10 fittings, aluminum shroud with fan

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Those brass fittings are for the oil drains, the silver stuff are those spring loaded type of charge-air plumbing clamps. I'll be posting pics as to how each assembly goes together.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Way to go Dave!!!!!

I will have to drive all the way down there to see this. Too bad you do not live closer, you could put it in my garage.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM

What are your goals for this truck? That's a lot of money if you are doing this just to play. I guess there are more expensive hobbies though...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fanbrain
What are your goals for this truck? That's a lot of money if you are doing this just to play. I guess there are more expensive hobbies though...
Goal's..

I would say he wants to have the baddest 1st Gen in NC.. oh wait I think he already does
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Generation Admin

At work just now, I'm watching a vacuum pump complete evacuating/dehydrating a refrigerant circuit, so I've got a moment . . . .

Goals? I dunno . . .

Let me start by saying there are MANY trucks much badder than mine and always will be.

With the knowledge I've gained from this website, my heap has certainly come a long way in the last three years or so. As such, down at the local 1/8th mile track, I can't get anybody to run me in the street class. Idle conversation with the track folks who do the staging led to them now pairing me with some of the pro-stock (straight-up race cars) guys and gals.
The last pass I made there was with a radical sounding turbocharged camaro (I think it was). Anyhoot, I guess the fella wanted to give me a second or two head-start . . . . bad move. I won.

I reckon he won't do that again.

I do so enjoy surprising folks with my old mess. I'm hoping this addition will continue the fun.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm going to be watching this install closely.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you are going to stick with the stock style heat exchanger, where are you thinking of putting the remote tranny cooler?? I am thinking of doing this before I get mine all back together.. I was thinking of getting rid of the heat exchanger al together and going with just the remote cooler... But it is nice to know that you can still get the factory heat exchanger...

Quick Reply: BC's Twin Install / AKA: "I'm Gonna Blow Up My Heap!" (updated as it occurs)