1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Battery smells something awful

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Battery smells something awful

I have a problem with the 92w250, I did the regulator mode a few months ago bc it was not charging. Seemed like something easy to follow, then one day it did not want to start but I thought it was loose connections so I did that and charged the battery then all was good, I also checked and it charges almost 15v at idle. Now I drove it and it smells terrible like a dead animal in there (there are no dead animal there) I looked and it comes from the battery and it is like boiling inside, is this bc it is charging too much or I got a bad battery?
Please help I'm at a job site and have long way back. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer to your question, is both. The battery could have been bad, gauging the high idle voltage. The battery could have been cooked, if the charge voltage exceeds 15V at the higher RPMs. Change the battery(s) and recheck the charging system. With the new battery installed, check idle voltage. Then, raise the RPMs to 1500, and check battery voltage. Neither should exceed 15V. If it does, you may have a loose wire, or bad regulator. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
I would say it is overcharging.
My old '89 12V yard plow truck was overcharging the battery as well.
After plowing the yard, 30 mins or so, I could hear the battery boiling.
I never fixed it as I only used it to plow the yard, and with a cracked frame, I knew I was parting it out in the spring
This is pretty unsafe as your battery can explode, I would not spend too much time sniffing it!
I am thinking an inline voltage regulator would be a cheap and easy fix.
If you just need to get home [in daylight] you could always start the truck up, then pull a battery terminal off so it doesn't overcharge and drive home.
Just make sure the positive cable end doesn't touch any metal.
I have started up 12V rigs with a borrowed battery, then taken it back out, and driven away with no battery.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
If you battery is charged, the average the reading from the alternator is ~13.7volts @ idle. t should read, during idle, typically 13.8 to 14.4 V, dependent on the status of the battery itself, nearer the 14V number if the battery was discharged. The reality is that if your truck is reading 15V while it's running, the regulator is toasting your battery. Your truck should NEVER REACH 15V at idle. Your regulator needs to be replaced again. Try to stay away from the china based regulators, and if at all possible you can find a "alternator / starter repair shop" you can take that regulator in and they'll check it for function. I bet it's NG

If the cells can be accessed, use a battery hydrometer to see if the cells are bad. Usually one of the cells reads dramatically different than the others. You'll have to replace the battery if a single cell or more is bad.

If not, read the voltage (without the truck running) should be right around 12.6v

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/charging.htm
Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Definately take note on NJTman's recommendation on avoiding the Chinese regulators. I found out the hard way. I am on my 3rd regulator in 6 months in our 91. Got the first one from Napa and they replaced it under the warranty each time. I asked them if they have anything besides a $20 Chinese regulator. The parts guy said that their Napa brand is not made in China. He was shocked when I showed him the made in China text printed on the back of he regulator. He was also suprised because the regulator box said made in USA which it obviously is not. The first one lasted a about 4months before it went out. Luckily I was driving local when I saw the gauge peg. When the regulators failed the battery was being charged at around 17 volts according to my digital tester. It gets old changing regulators every couple months. I called Autozone, O Reilly's and they only had Chinese manufactured units as well. Perhaps the dealer is the only option for a quality regulator?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1990 but by the time I figured it out my battery was ruined. I replaced my just replaced regulator with one from Autozone and had no further issues. I bought a new battery at Tractor Supply(TSC) because it was $50.00 cheaper than NAPA as a "tractor battery".
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Definately.... time. I asked them if they have anything besides a $20 Chinese regulator. The parts guy said that their Napa brand is not made in China. He was shocked when I showed him the made in China text printed on the back of he regulator. He was also suprised because the regulator box said made in USA which it obviously is not......

That's because the both of you aren't reading it correctly... The BOX was made in the US..... not the part inside..... Silly boys !

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke

Perhaps the dealer is the only option for a quality regulator?
If you go to a reputable "starter / alternator rebuilding shop" , they can get you a quality unit...... or simply have the alternator reworked with an internal regulator...if possible.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Get an OEM regulator from a junkyard. They only used them for about 20 years.

00 PAU
Sent from my Paranoid Android HD2 using Tapatalk 2.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the answers guys, We had some bad weather last night and there are threes everywhere in the metro area, the man I work for owns a lot of property and I have to go and clear the driveways so people can drive in and out. I did the external regulator a few months back since this one 92w250 was not charging I thought I did something wrong but I read again and seems pretty straight forward. I have an extra regulator and got a new battery I'll see if I can get it right this time.
i hate this 92 it is nothing but problems with that computer stuff, I still can get the OD to work and with this new problem it will be some time until I can look for new thing to fix in it. I love the 89 I have on My Ford truck.

Last edited by BC847; 07-01-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Language
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Get an OEM regulator from a junkyard. They only used them for about 20 years.

00 PAU
I remember reading about that, would any dodge do? What years?
I installed a new regulator, low idle charges 15v to 15.1v high idle it charges 14.75vor lower.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think they started in '72, all mopar products after that used the same regulator until fuel injection when it moved to the PCM. So just about any '80's van or pickup has one on the firewall.

00 PAU
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Thank You, I will try and have a look. I drove back yesterday with a new regulator I had and a new battery since the other one was toasted, I won't drive it again until I get another regulator. I'm not much of an electrician but there should be a way to constantly shave the extra voltage from a bad regulator.

Thanks to all.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM

I went through 6 or 8 voltage regulators and 4 or 5 sets of headlights before finally buying a Mopar blue reg. It worked perfect from the start so i bought a spare and put it behind the seat. Almost 3 years and not 1 voltage spike. Same regulator, same head lights. I probably should wrap some foam around the extra regulator before it disintegrates from all the bouncing around.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Well I searched online and found this mopar wholesale website and type the voltage regulator # from the sticky #3438150 271 and nothing comes up, even searched by vehicle, am I using the wrong part #? I thought about going to the JY but I rather spend the money on something new since You guys say it will last.

Thanks for any help.

I found this one http://www.factorymopar.com/?i=2&mod...imagecallout=2 it does not show a part #, do You guys think it will work?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealer had blue reg in high performance catalog.

Quick Reply: Battery smells something awful