1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Band Clamp Blues :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Band Clamp Blues :(

All,
Today I finally got around to finishing the install of my Stan's 4" turbo back exhaust. I started with the front hanger pipe (which attaches to the turbo), with the V band clamp snugged pretty good. I planed to torque the V band clamp down when I was done.

Anyway, I moved front to back, no trouble. Got everything angled right (the clearance by the transfer case is Very tight, as is the right rear shock), band clamps on the different exhaust sections tightened etc. So; I go up top to torque down the V band clamp next to the exhaust, and the darn down pipe separated from the turbo. You all know what a pain in the rear that thing is to tighten. Especially flying solo.

So; now I loosened the clamp on the bottom of the front hanger, and am trying to join the front pipe to the turbo, so I can tighten the factory V band clamp. So far no go.

Anyone have any tips on connecting the turbo band clamp, to the front down pipe? Are there any aftermarket clamps which work better than the factory band clamp? Any help here is greatly appreciated. I have all the exhaust sections connected via Walker band clamps. So; if I have to disconnect the whole system again, it's doable. Just don't feel like gong that route : (

Also, what size is the factory V band clamp (that connects the turbo to the exhaust). My has seen better days!

Last edited by broncobilly; 11-15-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know as far as clamps but here's a suggestion to get yours hooked up. Wrap a ratchet strap around the pipe then hook the other end to the rad support and try to pull the exhaust into the turbo.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Ryan,
Thanks for the suggestion of the ratchet strap! I thought about it, but it was too dark in the evening to give it a try. Someone also suggested to me hardware store turn buckles, and wire. I really hate the idea of having to taking down the exhaust, to hang the first down pipe Seems like those V band clamps could have been designed a little better! Or else; a tool would exhist to make the job easier. I tried a wood (Irwin) working sliding grip vice, but it couldn't grip the curved back of the down pipe.

Last edited by broncobilly; 11-16-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-16-2008, 04:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Bummer. When I did my 4" DP last week, I made sure that was tight before I started clamping anything. A little easier for me, though, since I'm using a case elbow with a ball joint on it. That has some give in it to move the DP around to where I needed it.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I always connect the DP to the turbo before I start connecting the rest of the pipes.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
When working with diesel exhaust, you need to think BIG TRUCK.

There is a reason they have the down-pipe connected to the rest of the exhaust with a flexible section of stainless (at least every one I ever crawled under).

When the entire exhaust is one rigid unit, all the way to the turbo, the entire exhaust acts as a lever against that brittle little lip on the turbo.

I always clamp on the down-pipe including the first bend that gets you pointed toward the rear, then a section of flex maybe two feet long, then the rest of the exhaust.

Another way to look at this :

Imagine what the outcome would be if the radiator was connected to the engine with rigid tubing.

The radiator hoses are flexible and allow the engine to move independently.

With a short section of flex between the down-pipe and the rest of the exhaust, both ends of the system will be better for it.

Try it before you knock it.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
When working with diesel exhaust, you need to think BIG TRUCK.

There is a reason they have the down-pipe connected to the rest of the exhaust with a flexible section of stainless (at least every one I ever crawled under).

When the entire exhaust is one rigid unit, all the way to the turbo, the entire exhaust acts as a lever against that brittle little lip on the turbo.

I always clamp on the down-pipe including the first bend that gets you pointed toward the rear, then a section of flex maybe two feet long, then the rest of the exhaust.

Another way to look at this :

Imagine what the outcome would be if the radiator was connected to the engine with rigid tubing.

The radiator hoses are flexible and allow the engine to move independently.

With a short section of flex between the down-pipe and the rest of the exhaust, both ends of the system will be better for it.

Try it before you knock it.

That is a excellent idea. I never thought of it that way but now that I see it in writing it makes perfect sense.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Adminstrator-ess

That's why the bracket that holds the downpipe to the bellhousing is so important. It keeps the exhaust system from breaking the turbine housing.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 AM

My 93 is the first diesel that I have owned. I bought it just two years back. So; now I know to torque down the v band clamp at the turbo first, before installing an exhaust system . Live and learn! My only option as I see it; is to drop the whole exhaust, then connect the down pipe. Thanks God I used Walker band clamps on the exhaust connections! Had I used the supplied Stan's muffler clamps, I would be in big trouble!!!! I believe the factory torque setting for the turbo to exhaust V band clamp is 70 FT LB?

Dave; thanks for suggesting to install the factory bell housing to exhaust down pipe bracket. I didn't do this; as the Stan's down pipe had a gap of about 2" from the bell housing bracket. At least on my 93. I will have to cut some alumnium spacers, to make up the gap difference - to the bell housing hanger.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage
Bummer. When I did my 4" DP last week, I made sure that was tight before I started clamping anything. A little easier for me, though, since I'm using a case elbow with a ball joint on it. That has some give in it to move the DP around to where I needed it.
NotEnuf,
Where do you get the Case elbow? At a Case tractor dealer? Is this elbow connected at the bottom of the exhaust down pipe? TIA!

Last edited by broncobilly; 11-17-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 AM

BearKiller,
That's a great idea with the 2' length of flex hose, coming off of the down pipe. I will do that when I re-do my exhaust system. Can't wait for that It will be like ground-hog day!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by broncobilly
I believe the factory torque setting for the turbo to exhaust V band clamp is 70 FT LB?
I am almost positive that it is 72 in/lbs
Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, 72 in/lb is about right. You will strip it out before you get past 10 ft/lbs.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Ace
Banned

Not too tight works for me. If you whack a nice flat spot on the flex or whatever pipe you have where it goes over that brace by the transfer case you will have enough clearance to avoid any rubbing and/or vibration issues. You can get a foot massage inside the cab on the passenger side floor if you get it too close to the floor. At least that's what my daughter said. It don't take much to give you an extra inch there and won't hurt the flow at all.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 AM

Thanks all on the v band clamp torque specs!

Quick Reply: Band Clamp Blues :(