1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bad lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Bad lift pump

Got off Work last night and my '92 quit on me.

Started it up and it ran ruogh fo a minute, wouldn't pull ant RPMs, then died.

I cracked a couple of fuel lines and got nothing. No fuel on either the low side or the high side.

Lift pump lever hasn't worked well in over a year but I just figured that it was my bad luck to ALWAYS land on the wrong spot on the cam lobe.

The worst part is that I don't have all the parts to do a 2nd gen piston pump mod yet. I need the truck so I'll have to find a diaphram pump today and go with that for a while.

Guess I should use that FP gauge that's been sitting on my tool box for a while now.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
My guess is that your lift-pump has probably been dead for quite some time.

Stick an el-cheapo electric on there, while you are gathering the stuff for the piston-pump swap-over.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Stick an el-cheapo electric on there, while you are gathering the stuff for the piston-pump swap-over.
I would but I think it will be easier to just put a stock diaphram on there laying in the snow than to splice into a line with an electric.

The local NAPA has one on the shelf I'll put in after work.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
laying in the snow

Laying in the snow ???

What have you been smoking ???

I just looked and it is 92* outside and the sun would burn a blister.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Laying in the snow ???

What have you been smoking ???

I just looked and it is 92* outside and the sun would burn a blister.
Started snowing 2 days ago. Hasn't stopped yet. Real light snow but the first layer turned to ice right away.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Talking Woo Hoo!

Got the new lift pump in last night after work. Only took an hour to do. It had warmed uo to 30* so it wasn't hardly uncomfortalble working.

The pump must have been dead (or dying) for a while cause she really rolls some coal now when I stand on it. Lot's more that it did with the old one in. Guess I'll have to tweak the IP more now. Dang.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Anyone Know what the fitting size is for the diaphram LP outlet. I need to fic a samll leak after the parking lot repair and I'd like to put on flex lines instead of the hard lines from the pump to filter head.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Anyone Know what the fitting size is for the diaphram LP outlet. I need to fic a samll leak after the parking lot repair and I'd like to put on flex lines instead of the hard lines from the pump to filter head.

Thanks
I have succeeded in using 1/4 NPT fittings on several of them.

It is not actually pipe thread, though; the pitch is correct, but the threads are straight, instead of tapered.

BUT, I have gotten around that by using Permatex thread sealant and giving that little extra half-turn, when tightening; if it drips, then I give it a little more.

The fitting at the filter is 12mm-1.5 metric, or somesuch.

Glacier Diesel has adapters for those; but, interestingly enough, they don't have them to fit the lift-pump.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM

I have succeeded in using 1/4 NPT fittings on several of them.

It is not actually pipe thread, though; the pitch is correct, but the threads are straight, instead of tapered.

BUT, I have gotten around that by using Permatex thread sealant and giving that little extra half-turn, when tightening; if it drips, then I give it a little more.

The fitting at the filter is 12mm-1.5 metric, or somesuch.

Glacier Diesel has adapters for those; but, interestingly enough, they don't have them to fit the lift-pump.
Thank you sir.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 PM

At the filter end of things, one might get away with cutting the metal tube a couple inches long, and forming a raised lip around the perimeter of the tube, such that a hose could be slipped over the tube, and the lip retain the clamp.

I have had some success by laying a tube on a block of soft wood and using a specially ground punch/chisel to form the ridge by striking from the inside out.

You might get along better by first raising the perimeter with a pipe flaring tool.

I hope some of this makes sense.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM

I have a GDP Big line kit That I figure on installing soon (FP gauge too). It came with an extra 12mm fitting that I plan on using at the filter head (fuel heater?). I almost ordered the "maximizer" kit that came with more push lock hose and a few more fittings and and seals. I was strapped for $$ when I ordered it and figured I didn't really need it. Too late now.

If I can get a 1/4" pipe thread fitting (or the stock line)to seal I 'll make out OK until I get my 2nd gen LP. The pressure regulator from Vulcan Performance showed up the day I changed the pump of course. I may just plumb it in with the big line when I do it. It should'nt hurt anything. I dont figure the diaphram pump makes enough pressure to open it anyway.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM

The inlet and outlet of the piston-pump have the same threads as the diaphragm pump.

In your situation, and what I do, I would get enough 1/4NPT fuel-hose fittings, or hose-barbs, to do both pumps.

A 90* 1/4NPT works best at the outlet end, although a straight can be used.

This way, when you do install the piston-pump, you can leave the NPT fittings, on the diaphragm-pump, un-molested, since you have them already installed leak-free, and should you ever need to re-install the diaphragm-pump, you won't have to mess with the fittings.

Also, and I figure you already know this, although either will work with fuel-hose, there is a difference in hose-barbs and fuel-line-fittings.

The hose-barbs are "barbed", making future hose removal, without damaging a hose, almost impossible; whereas, fuel-line-fittings are, for the most part, smooth-shanked, with a smooth rolled lip at the end.

A hose can be easily pulled off of a fuel-line-fitting and re-installed, several times, without harming the hose.

When I can't get the good ones, I use barbs; they are just harder to remove the hose from, if needed.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:44 PM

^^^

A fountian of knowledge a good advice you are sir. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM

I got the fuel leak fixed last night. At $3.00/gal even a little drip is expensive. The leak was from the banjo washers at the filter inlet. Near as I could tell they were original (made of fiber or some such). It feels like the truck runs better with a new LP and no leaks but the SOTP dyno is closed for the season.

I'll get to the bigline and bypass when I get a chance to get into a garage.