1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Back to my roots

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Back to my roots

Well all my fellow 1st genners, I may be a dedicated 1st gen only guy here pretty shortly. I have a possible sale for my 08. I have been thinking about this for a while and decided to sell it if I can and go back to where my true love is, right here. I plan to get another 1st gen if the sale goes and either do a close to complete resto, or if in good enough shape, just a build up. Any suggestions. This 2nd truck will be my daily driver so im looking for comfort, well as much as can be expected in a 1st gen, more so looking for an LE model (PW/PL CR). Power wise id like to be in the 300+ (350ish tops) range. Should I be shooting for an intercooled or a non intercooled truck. I figure basic mods needed are turbo, injectors, intake, fuel pin, 3200 spring, etc.

My basic thinking is that for around $20,000 or so, (purchase price and mods) I can have one heck of a nice 1st gen, no truck note, a truck that is built way better that my current $50,000 truck, and a whole lot of class.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure basic mods needed are turbo, injectors, intake, fuel pin, 3200 spring, etc.
Your forgot torque converter if its an auto.

Shoot for an intercooled truck. that way you don't have to add an intercooler and stuff. a 62/72/14 and some 435 injectors should have you at 350HP as long as you have a clutch to hold it. And some pump tuning of course

Sounds lilke a plan, theres things you can do to these trucks to make them quiet and comfy, seats, insulation inside like dynamat, air bags. You could get wild and have the sweetest most comfy first gen ever
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Handshakers from here on out only for me. 4500 preferably. Im sure SB or Valair makes something that will hold just fine.

Im digging into ride inprovements right now, a decent set of springs and quality shocks will probably get where I want to be ride wise. Good set of softer 35" rubbers help too. I do plan on pulling the inside and dynamatting and extra padding the carpet to help with the road noise.

Im curious about putting seats in it. Im pretty big, well really big 6ft and about 330. When I got my 90 from Dad he had a set of qualitex buckets in it, and it just didnt give me any leg room and I was just squished up. Put the bench back in and was much more comfy. I figure a set of 2nd gens seats would yeild the same results. Im probably gonna just stick with the bench and go for better suspension componets.

Gonna be a lot of work but tons of fun, and in the end will have a head turner.

I have been working on my 90 lately, polished up the alloys, new shoes (305/70 MT's) took the 5" mitres off of my 08 and did a 4" turbo back with them. She stills gets plenty of attention, specially from the late model guys. Bout to send her to the shop for a complete A/C rework and then new front springs and shocks all around, gonna give the interior a little tlc and get the seat reupholstered. Little bit of work here and there an Ill have two fine 1st gen rides. Ill post up a few pics when I get some taken (well of the 90 for now anyway, )

Thanks for the input guys. Yall sure are quick on the draw and friendly as heck, Im sure im gonna enjoy all the time I spend round here.