1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Back From Mexico - 1st Gen Road Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back From Mexico - 1st Gen Road Report

Did about 1400 miles in the Dodge with a 23 foot 5th wheel loaded down with everything the Mrs could think of. It was only when we got home and unloaded the trailer that I realized how much STUFF that woman took with! No wonder I averaged 11.5 to 12 mpg!
The whole trip, we encountered NO problems AT ALL, mechanical or otherwise. Plus we found Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) beer, a darkish lager made by Dos Equis, I think.... AWESOME brew, about 8 bucks per 12, and 5.9%!
We live in Central AZ at 3100' elevation and headed down to San Felipe, Baja for a week plus. Nice place. My truck is an automatic and, taking the expert advice gleaned here, I kept it out of OD unless headed downhill.
Tell you what: You sure get to view the countryside at 55 mph. Truck's cruise control works perfectly and you get used to going sloooooow - almost. After this trip, I've decided that, IMO, Dodge's choice of the OD automatic was a mistake for a real tow vehicle. Man, the truck has everything else. Comfy seats and interior, plenty of rear springs, gobs of pulling power, but that tranny was a bonehead idea for real traveling. Up hills, the box-stock Cummins performed wonderfully. Tons of pulling power. Down hills, I hated that automatic. As any trucker knows, you do NOT want to use your brakes on long hills. Ever. Well, that automatic just about freewheels even with the OD off, forcing one to use the skids. I know, manuals will too without an engine brake. Well at least with a manual you have the option.
If I had my druthers, knowing what I know now, I'd get a 5 speed and what the hell, what's another 800 pounds? I'd get Get the 4X4 too.
Most Arizonans know about Yarnell Hill on 89 north of Wickenburg. Straight up, at least 6% grade switchbacks for maybe 10 miles? Man, this truck pulled the rig up that hill absolutely no sweat. Barely changed on the temp gauge at all. I have 80k on it now and it has used about 1/3 of a quart of oil in about 3500 miles. I know there's plenty of hardcore Dodge guys here and mean no offense. This is my very first Chrysler product ever and I'm 50. I've had about 11 GM trucks and none of them had this kind of power and reliability. If GM had beat Dodge to that Cummins contract, I'd be writing this report on a different forum!
So, to sum it up: LOVE the truck. Hate the auto. Even though, at low speeds, its a tough one. Wish I'd found a creampuff like this one with a stick. Is there REALLY any point in finding a donor truck and converting? Like I said, with just 80k and in excellent condition, I'd sure love to keep this one.
Kind regards, H.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yaay! We knew you could do it!

There's plenty you can do make the A518 do what you need the way you want it to for less than the cost of a stick conversion.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounded like a really neat trip with the ol Dodge. Glad to hear you never had any problems other than the auto transmission.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12mpg is the best i hear from 1st gen autos that are towning good sized loads. You did fine. Congrats on the trip!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM

M1Lover,you need a 47RH from the 1994/95 model years. It has lock-up. If you do a few minor upgrades and a good stout torque converter you will be ready to go. I pull a 26 ft. with a slider and when i swapped to the 47RH what a big difference. Stick is great if truck came with it but may cost more to convert to stick. That's my story and i'm stickin to it! Good Luck! (do you have pix.i want to go there some day)
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Yep, your mileage mimicks mine under a load. And I agree, the stock auto is the weak link. If/when mine ever goes I plan a coverter and valvebody upgrade, probably Goerend. But an exhaust brake would be sweet too huh? Do you have a tranny temp gauge or were you talking about engine temp not fluctuating?

And thanks for sharing your travels. Glad you had a good time and everything went as planned.

BTW, I think when you go 4X4 it decreases your GVWR. Somebody will correct me I'm sure.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB

BTW, I think when you go 4X4 it decreases your GVWR. Somebody will correct me I'm sure.
Nope, the GVWR stays the same. However, the curb weight goes up which means the payload/towing capacity ratings go down.

Real world it doesn't matter any.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Chapter President

like everyone else said you mileage is right on par for your truck and load. I averaged about 14 mpg towing my 6500#camper this summer. The trans was in better shape then. I am sure it would be worse now.

looks like you had a good time.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Do you have a tranny temp gauge or were you talking about engine temp not fluctuating?
I was talking engine coolant temp. The tranny temp gauge crossed my mind. I know, the tranny will bake in OD with a load, but the temp gauge would allow you to use OD occasionally without wondering if you're toasting the trans or not. WHERE would one put the temp sensor? Is there a sticky on the install? Whose gauge do we like?

Thanks for your comments all. I have been considering all options for a better trailer-toter, including a (shudder) newer truck. I'll research the 47RH option further. This truck, all things considered, performed flawlessly. With this Dodge, I'd hook onto that 5th wheel and haul it to Tierra Del Fuego without hesitation (with the right spares...).

San Felipe is a nice town and with our economy in the toilet, its considerably quieter than usual. I'm too old for the Girls-Gone-Wild-Spring-Break scene and we don't own quads. We just sat in the lawn chairs, smack on the beach drinking Noche Buenas, reading books and thinking about what we were gonna eat next... for 8 days! It was awesome.
If you go to SF, try Victor's RV park, close to town but not too close, 20 bucks per night (pay for 7, 8th day free) all hookups and hot water showers.
Roads going in were for the most part pretty good, with some notable exceptions. Mexico is mostly safe if you stay away from the border towns. No you can't carry a firearm. I took an aluminum baseball bat (and a ball!).
I wonder where the Chrysler plant that built my truck is (was)?
No, I did NOT put the dent in the top of the 5th wheel.It came with it, no extra charge.
Feliz Ano Nuevo! El Cazador
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM

You Don't need a 47RH trans to tow, like you said, you made it back fine it was just a pain.

You could Get a aftermarket torque converter
made for towing heavy loads for your current tranny rather then doing a conversion to a newer trans with lockup tranny.

I'd talk to Dave goerend transmissions about getting a torque converter made up at www.goerend.com and you tell him what you do and he'll selll you the torque converter you need.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM

I put a Goerend TQ converter in my truck, and it made a big difference. Especially in O/D. My fiver weighs 11K and i use O/D going up hill until she drops below 55 mph. Does just fine.Tranny runs cooler too. My car carrier/Tractor combo wieghs roughly 8k, i drive that around like i'm empty..LOL
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Sweet, looks like a great trip! Glad the truck performed well.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

San Felipe is one of the safest cities I have been to in Baja.Just there in November good weather in the cooler months too.

Bob
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 AM

Glad to read you had a great trip!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM

I'm glad you had a safe trip. I remember that rush you get when you are pulling a big load that far, made me love my truck that much more!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Back From Mexico - 1st Gen Road Report