1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Axillary under-bed trans fluid cooler questions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
The typical OEM fluid routing is: Picked up from pan > Trans oil pump > Engine mounted Heat Exchanger > Cooler up front > Optional Supplemental Cooler > Transmission.
I carefully traced mine (3-4 times going both ways) and found what appeared to be OEM plumbing of:
Picked up from pan > Trans oil pump > Optional Supplemental Cooler > Engine mounted Heat Injector > Cooler up front > Transmission

I know there's a bunch of controversy over the HE, but bypassing it dang sure knocked 50* off my temps and manually energizing the supplemental fan from the start keeps it all sane dragging 7000#.

Sure wish I could find someone locally that could diagnose what I believe is a WornSlapOut OEM torque converter... would make a replacement TC & shift kit easier to stomach than all my WAGing
Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Caver Dave
I carefully traced mine (3-4 times going both ways) and found what appeared to be OEM plumbing of:
Picked up from pan > Trans oil pump > Optional Supplemental Cooler > Engine mounted Heat Injector > Cooler up front > Transmission

I know there's a bunch of controversy over the HE, but bypassing it dang sure knocked 50* off my temps and manually energizing the supplemental fan from the start keeps it all sane dragging 7000#.

Sure wish I could find someone locally that could diagnose what I believe is a WornSlapOut OEM torque converter... would make a replacement TC & shift kit easier to stomach than all my WAGing
Wow, are our trucks different? I plumbed my cooler fan to intercept it once it comes out of the tranny(hottest point, and that would be the pipe towards the front of the tranny). This is the line with the sensor built into it, that will not allow your truck to go into OD if the temps are at around 240. Normally this hot, high pressure line would go to the oil/coolant cooler under the turbo, but it goes first to my auxiliary aftermarket cooler/fan mounted at the rear of the truck, then back to the oil/coolant cooler like it is suppose to, through that and now the atf(which has been now cooled by two sources) heads towards the front of the truck to the 3rd cooler (next to the intercooler), and now back to the transmission, and that low pressure, cooled atf is entering at the pipe at the most rear of the transmission. Is this what you were saying, but maybe I did not understand?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 AM

I've got an 01' sec gen truck. I put a 12 inch permacool trans cooler with a 10 inch fan on mine. Its tucked in the front bumper, not sure if that will work with a 1st gen bumper. I went with a switch in the cab for the fan.

67HotRod
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Is this what you were saying, but maybe I did not understand?
Must have been the dyslexia(?), cause I pooched this pretty good!

ACTUAL FLOW: Picked up from pan > Trans oil pump > Engine mounted Heat Injector > Optional Supplemental Cooler > Cooler up front > Transmission

Once the HE was bypassed, the temps dropped too reasonable marks with just the 2 air-oil coolers.

Also, my "cut off @ 240-270* switch" was yanked to place the tranny temp sender... no regrets since that scenario would leave you with a nuclear grade meltdown *if* it actually worked.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 PM
DBF

Hey folks,

I'm fixing to install an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler and was wondering how and where folks were putting them. The FSM doesn't seem to address it at all.

Can anyone post images of their mess?

I expect to have to fabricate a bracket assembly to hold my cooler in place and want to be sure to include considerations such as air-flow, hose routing, truck frame attachment, etc.

Thanks.
The Dodge underbed "Superduty" cooler was a dealer-installed option with its own little booklet for installation. I've scanned it and will send it to you if you'll give me an email address to send it to (too big to post here). I installed one of the last ones Dodge had, and later installed another cooler in the same spot on the other side of the truck. Damage ahead of the wheel is not normally a problem if your bracket extends downward an inch or so beyond the bottom of the cooler.

The Superduty cooler installation also installed an "H" pipe between supply and return before the cooler - when the fluid in the lines is cool it bypasses the cooler and returns to the trans.

Regards, DBF
Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Again, thanks for the replies folks.

I've received the cooler. It's of the "Plate And Fin" design and as such, offers substantially more in fluid cooling when compared to the more common "Tube And Fin" type of the same foot print.

The actual cooler is 11" x 8 1/4" x 2" excluding the fan and shroud and uses AN8 fittings.

I've just about decided to mount it right there in front of the fuel tank as I don't have enough 1/2" "Socketless" hose on hand to reach the OEM location (the hose is expensive!).

DBF, Ive seen those thermostats advertised http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku but wondered how reliable they are as well as to weather I need one in NC.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
DBF

DBF, Ive seen those thermostats advertised http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku but wondered how reliable they are as well as to weather I need one in NC.

The "H" fitting to the left is the DC cooler bypass. It depends on the idea that cold fluid in the cooler to the left will present a high fluid resistance and force most of the fluid through the cross-bar of the "H". When it warms up, most will flow straight through one side of the "H" to the cooler and back through the other side of the "H".

I don't know where you'd find one other than a junkyard.

I wanted to change it to the one you pointed out, but I couldn't figure out how to flush the whole system from up front - it would go through the cross-bar and never flush the cooler. Guess I'll have to make my own.

I have two sets of trans-cooling pictures in:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...hp?userid=1559

Regards, DBF
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
I wonder if that "H" affair is what's going on with the OEM trans fluid plumbing up front, right there before the little radiator. It seems I recall a couple of plastic things (in the shape of an H IIRC) oddly plumbed there.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
DBF

I don't have anything other than tubing & hoses up front with the little radiator type cooler.

Regards, DBF