1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

average paint job cost? (post some pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
average paint job cost? (post some pics)

I was woundering what a paint job on my club cab should cost. I went down to the local paint guy here and he quoted 4500.00 and there is not alot of body work to be done (if any). I think thats little high, also that is keeping the colors the same and not doing the interior, basically scratch and spray the out side. The next painter is 100 miles away. I would like to see some painted trucks and how much they ran you. For 4500 I might be try it myself. thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I painted my '90 for about $300 in paint and supplies and probably about 80 hrs of prep work. It's Dark and Light Spectrum Blue (B6/B2). I used 2 qts of dark blue and 1 qt of light blue base coat and about 2 qts of clear on top of it. Scraped and sanded the areas that had chipping paint and reprimered them. Scuffed the areas with good paint and shot them with SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter. I was really hot when I painted it, so I ended up with a fair amount of orange peel in the clear coat, but wet sanding will take care of that, when I get around to it.

Sorry - no pics since the paint job, but here's what it looked like before. It's the same color scheme now, it just has paint on the hood and top of cab and a good shine to it.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course, that cost assumes you already have a paint gun, big compressor, sanding supplies, bodywork tools, and some of the chemicals (cleaner, solvents, etc.) that you'd need. I paint a car / truck about once a year, so I have all that. If not, add another $500 - $1000 to that. $300 was just the basecoat paint.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!! The real good guys around here I call high!! 3G's gets an all over including jams and under hood on any chrysler color with a 7 year finish guarantee.....
Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 AM

If you have some time and patience you may want to read up on roller painting your truck. We did our Rally Van and for the effort we made it turned out really good (made me wish that I had put more effort into the body work). But it is a farm van that I plan to experiment with running WVO in so...

Good Day,
JP.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 AM

+1 on roller painting...

Read THIS
Old 07-26-2008, 03:31 PM

i got mine done at Maaco for 660 out the door. I changed the color from baby blue to the phanton grey and they painted the bed and inside the door jams. they also removed all the emblems and took care of the holes in the fenders where the emblems lined up at. looks like a whole new truck. heres a before and after that i posted

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=210700
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4500 sounds about right for a good complete paint job at least in the chicago area. Most shops around here only want insurance work and its hard to find one to repaint a whole car. I have had pretty good luck painting a few cars. I have been meaning to do my roof on mine. Plus the rockers need work as well and other rust touch up. If the truck is a soild color like white the roller may work out good for you. I have seen some beautiful krustoleum jobs.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
i just got in from roller painting my truck flat black, ill get a few pics soon, i still gotta do body work to it, but better all one color then 5
Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 AM

I really depends on what you want, this is one area you typically really get what you pay for. my dakota (1/2 the size of the big truck) will be around 3500 by the time it's done with quality paint and good prep work. $4500 isn't to bad for a truck that size if they are using good paint and sand it out well and such. you can get really poor quality that looks good for like a year or less for under a grand but I personally wouldn't do that to a truck I'm planning on keeping unless it was offroad getting scratched and beat all the time.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the process of repainting my diesel right now. I did extensive shopping at paint shops and averaged 3G. That is 1 color with minor body repair. I had the everything soda blasted and new front fenders and hood. If you have a shop at your dispense save your money and do it yourself. It is not hard and alot easier on your pocket. So far I have about $400 and 25 hrs into it and it ready for paint. If you find a good paint store most guys are more than willing to walk you through every step.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM

I work for a body guy and 4500 sounds about right. But he does everything right, he'll completely strip the paint down to bare metal and go from there on the stuff thats peeling. There are alot of hours that go into a good paint job. with 80 hours of prep work take that time a rate of 40 thats 1200 right there. not even wet sanding or paint time or the paint itself. Even if you dont do the door jams the door handles should come off so you can atleast scuff the area around there good so the paint doesnt peel.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 PM

the 4500 sounds like the top end of resonable. When I did mine a couple years ago I was getting quotes at $2600 - $5000. That was with them doing all the work.

I opted for a Maaco job that turned out nice. However, I had the front windshield out and removed all lights, mirrors and such. I then took off the bed as I paint that every 1-2 years with a roller because of the abuse a flatbed gets. I also took off the sleeper, ground out the seams a little and had them fill those with seam sealer (they were leaking). Maaco also stripped the paint the shot the cab and sleeper (separately) and painted both for $800. It is a good six foot paint job (looks great at 6' and greater from the truck) - there are some little things I wished they had done different.

It will probably last 8-10 years, and then I would do it again.

I guess what I am saying is that with a little prep work on your end you can save some money and have reasonable results. Additionally, look at the paint shops and what the work is like that comes out of it.

Pictures in gallery.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My paint cost close to $6,000.00 including some minor bodywork from the first accident when the insurance company paid for it.

Name:  IMG_4770.jpg
Views: 20559
Size:  128.9 KB

This looking across the top of the camper shell.

Name:  IMG_4795.jpg
Views: 12796
Size:  87.3 KB

My paint has a lifetime warranty for almost any type of a defect, some of the paint started to lift on the cab because of some bird poop and they sanded it to the metal and repainted the top of the cab.

When they paint my truck they do not just mask off all of the parts, they remove them not like some shop when you can remove your license plate and the original color still shows or they paint over your emblems and door handles.

He also lets me come anytime and walk around the shop and take lots of pictures as the work progresses and now the guys want to be in the picture.

The last time I was there they were afraid of my excess wiring when they had to remove the fenders so I had to disconnect all of the cables and bundle them in masking paper for them.

I am on a constant quest to make it better.
Jim

Name:  IMG_4904.jpg
Views: 18305
Size:  41.4 KB
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Hey Jim,

what color is your truck exaclty?

also do you have the paint code?

Quick Reply: average paint job cost? (post some pics)