1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Aux fuel tanks, yes I searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux fuel tanks, yes I searched

Ok just picked up a 91' LE 4x4. I tow alot of miles and would like to find an aux fuel tank, saddle tank would be the best. I need the bed space. Does anyone have a lead on a company that makes them or do I need to get one custom made?

The truck is lifted so ground clearance is not an issue. We race off road, so distance traveled is of great importance.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

www.calrocs.com
www.vorra.com
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
On the gas trucks the aux tank is behind the axle under the bed where the spare is. These tanks are the same tanks that are used as the primary tank on a Ramcharger. So if you are on a budget find a wrecked Ramcharger pull the tank, HAVE IT STEAM CLEANED and then install in your truck.

Now this is my own idea and I have not actually investigated this at all for use on a diesel. There might be some issues with the size of fuel line coming off the tank, but I figure if it can feed a 440 BB should be big enough to feed a CTD. Also does the Cummins use a fuel return line? The later Ramcharger tanks(1985+) should have a return line inlet but may complicate the plumbing. Many Ramchargers also have steel skid plates on their tanks if you are on washed out/rough roads this would be handy.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:41 PM

Cool deal, I'll look into it.

Rich
Old 01-11-2004, 08:08 PM

Check out www.aerotanks.com. They make replacement tanks that are usually about double the stock capacity without using any space in the bed or having to lose your spare tire.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:12 PM
DJ

While your looking into it, it looks like the rear tank from a ford might fit and still keep your spare under there. If youi look into it and it works let us know. I haven't had the time or know anyone with a ford like that.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:12 PM

I installed an aux tank from a 77 D250 behind the rear end and plumbed it in with a chevy selector valve and switch. the gauge works on either tank selected. To avoid any body work, I cut the fill tube and welded it back on 180 * from original so that it fills from inside the box. Works pretty well and gives me about 12 extra gal capacity. I can take some pictures if it will help.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So does the CTD have a fuel return line? Did your selector valve have 3 nipples or 6?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:37 AM

CTD does have a return line. The valve I used has 6 lines. The only thing I was worried about was the coils in the oem tank. They spiral around the sender in the tank, supposedly to equalize fuel temp in the tank?? My aux tank has been in the truck for 2 years nowand the only trouble has been a faulty selector valve that returned fuel to the rear tank while drawing from the front one. Made a huge mess of my car hauler and the car I was hauling. Replaced the valve and no trouble since.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been thinking of re-routing my exhaust outside the right frame rail and then trying to mount another stock 30 gallon tank inside the right frame rail. Obviously, you would have to deal with the filler plumbing but I was thinking of trying to Y that into the left tank filler. The selector valve that F2P mentioned would handle the output and return. I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping that it will work. Has anyone else tried it?