1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Autometer Pyrometer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Autometer Pyrometer Installation

A couple of weeks ago I installed the 2 1/16" Comp. Series EGT gauge on my truck. After three days it started jumping all over the place when I turn on things like head lights, A/C, and especially the turn signals. I suspected a bad ground and dove in, to find the culprit. First I rerouted all the wires to the gauge and made sure that they were as the directions called for. Then I cleaned the battery terminals and the ground to the body nearest the battery. The problem improved but did not go away. I sent Autometer an e-mail explaining in much more detail about the installation, trouble shooting, and the problem. They agreed it was a slight ground problem in the truck and informed me that the EGT gauge is a very sensitive insturment. They said I needed to run the ground directly to the engine and to solder my connections. I did that and low and behold the meter is rock steady and functioning correctly.

I know others have had some problems with their meters as well and I hope this will help. The one thing that impressed me was the willingness to help that Autometer exhibited. They have a new loyal follower and another satisfied customer.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank's for the info.Boatnick. I to have been a loyal follower of autometer since I bought an electronic speedometer off of e-bay and it did not work. we explained it to them, and they said to send it to them and they would inspect it. 2 weeks later, we had a new speedo. and the sending unit, and it work's great.Autometer rocks.