1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Auto vs Straight

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmn1
my engine and transmission is underneath the car hauler bed
We need to see more.

What is in the space where the engine should be??

Did you graft the front cab/sleeper portion in front of a frame that the engine/trans. was already on??
Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

That looks like a '48 Ford. Best looking ford pickup of all time I think. Let us know how you built it, and more details like "what's under the hood".... That truck should be in Hot Rod Magazine!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks guys for the compliments! Well where do I start? It all began as a 48 Ford cab over that was a log truck that came from the woods in Arkansas. I took the cab and front end off of its original frame and sent the cab and front end to Redi Strip in Evansvile Indiana to be chemically cleaned. In the meantine I had to hunt a late model 1 ton truck that I would use to set the body on once it came back from Redy Strip. I was searching for a late model Dodge with the mighty Cummins. What I located was a 93 Dodge 1 ton Dually pickup with the Cummins in it(just what I was looking for). I drove it home(yes there was nothing wrong with it) then took the cab, front end, and bed off of the frame. I then determined how long the frame would need to be stretched to accomodate the car hauler bed and sleeper I was going to put on the truck and also where the engine needed to be located in the rear to set just behind the sleeper. I then cut the frame in half about where the back of the original Dodge cab sat and welded in 7 feet of frame. I then had to fabricate a crossmember to hold the engine and transmission in its new location(basically similar to the crossmember originally in the front of the frame where the engine normally sets). The engine, transmission, radiator, a/c condensor and intercooler were all relocated to the rear of the truck with a ram air type of box that sits in front of the a/c condensor to force air up through the cooling system. I then cut the cab mount off of the original 48 Ford frame and located it on the late model Dodge frame and welded it to the Dodge frame so the old cab would bolt to it just like it did originally on the Ford frame.The sleeper, running boards, and car hauler bed are all hand made. Of course I rebuilt all the chassis with new brake pads, shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders,bearings, seals, tie rods, ball joints, bushings etc.etc.etc......So basically, the truck is actually a 93 Dodge 1 ton dually that has been stretched 7 feet with a sleeper and car hauler bed on it...It just looks like a 48 Ford. It has power windows, power disc brakes, tilt, cruise, air cond, cd player,dvd player, lcd flip down tv in the sleeper,gps navigation,satellite radio, rear back up camera..etc......Oh, and to answer the question "Whats under the hood?" Really nothing but a huge trans cooler to keep the transmission as cool as I can when hauling a car on its back!!!!!!!
So in a nutshell, thats what it is. Obviuosly it much more complicated than that when you factor in all the little details, which explains why it took me 2 years to build it at an average of about 30 hours per week.

But anyway, thats why I felt it belonged in here with the rest of the Dodges, because, well, thats really what it is!!!!!!!!!!

Scott
Old 04-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmn1
...all the little details...
I would love to see more of those. Do you have a photo gallery or a web page about the project?

I love that sidepipe, the way the curve matches the bed is a good example of attention to detail.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Hi Dave,

I uploaded some pictures to my gallery a few minutes ago. I don't have any here right now of the engine compartment or under the hood, but I will get some in a few days. I added photos of all 4 corners of the truck and also of the interior and sleeper.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
[drool] Ooohhh, it's got sidepipes on both sides! [/drool]
Old 04-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Yeah, Dual 5" diameter/9 foot long chrome side pipes, and they are hooked up and fully functional!!!! They are really semi stacks layed down. Now I just need to turn the pump up and get a little black smoke coming out of them.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:45 PM

I built my getrag g360 for my 81 dodge crewcab with a 1993 cummins drive train in it. I was rebuilt, (not by me) about 30k ago. granted, i tow alot of heavy, long hauls. The tranny got really noisey, and the last tow i did, split 5th gear. there was major wear between fifth gear and the end bearing. i found .046 shims on the main shaft and .080 shims on the counter shaft. i want to get this right, so reading your post......I SHOULD PUT .006 OF SHIMS ON THE MAIN, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COUNTER??? any input would be awesome. thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryls
I built my getrag g360 for my 81 dodge crewcab with a 1993 cummins drive train in it. I was rebuilt, (not by me) about 30k ago. granted, i tow alot of heavy, long hauls. The tranny got really noisey, and the last tow i did, split 5th gear. there was major wear between fifth gear and the end bearing. i found .046 shims on the main shaft and .080 shims on the counter shaft. i want to get this right, so reading your post......I SHOULD PUT .006 OF SHIMS ON THE MAIN, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COUNTER??? any input would be awesome. thanks
You just hijacked a 7 year old dead thread on a totally different subject. Yer new here, aren't ya.

Anyway, start a new thread titled something like "Getrag shims". Then you'll get some answers. The collective knowledge on this board is incredible.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM

actually, my question is an inquiry to a post on page five of this tread from Papecat's post referring to mysteryman's write up of the getrag. first tread, page 5.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Papecat sold his '72 Cummins crew cab and is in a 4th gen Dodge now.
I don't see much of him on the 1st gen forum much anymore.