1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Auto vs Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer the question at hand....the reason there are autos in these trucks is that is what people want. They want convienince.

As for other statements, I went with the manual cause I can put a $1000 clutch in it and basicly be through.

I would however trade my 6speed for a built auto in a heart beat but after buying the truck I don't have 4 or 5 grand to build a tranny.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
try crossing Back it to the country from mexico with a stick and a HEAVY trailer ...you will have a new found respect for your auto in all that stop and go.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rockjeep73
You are absolutely wrong, you can build an auto tranny with a lockup converter (47rh or 47re) and put 100% of your power to the ground, just like a manual would. And even with out the lockup DTT can build converters as tight as like 93%, meaning it would be 93% efficient at putting the power to the ground, a little different than the 60%-65% stock converters.
I hear you, rock
I'd throw that at the truck if I had the $$$ (or $$$$$$$$$, as the case may be). That makes sense to me, but, with my stock slusher, I can really just feel the power slipping away. That, and I guess I'm just not trying to smoke the 1/4 mile, though I do like to sometimes. Thanks for everyones input. I guess it is just preference... Each trans has problems, I know, and I actually like the simplicity of my 727, but I guess I just like having something to do when I'm driving .
mike
Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM

hey crunch have you ever adjusted the TV cable?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 PM

I have a wife that occasionally needs to use my truck, thats why I bought an auto....of course, when I was looking all I could find was 5 speeds
Old 03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Chapter President

I don't know...there is just something about hearing that turbo screaming and rowing through those gears...I never get tired of it...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM

I have a 5-speed, and constantly read these threads about auto versus stick. The only thing I agree with is buy what suits your needs. Some think a manual's only weakness is finding the right clutch and that otherwise they are bullet proof, but they're not. You read enough and you will find that the nv4500 as well as the nv5600 both have problems handling high horsepower. This isn't true of the built autos. I've already put a rebuilt nv4500 in my truck because 3rd was scratching going into gear. My con ofe is currently slipping so I now have a new SB DD on the shelf, as well as a 1-3/8 input shaft from SB. If I put that stuff in and romp on it, I'm sure I will have other problems as I feel I'm closing in on 500hp, and I'm not done with bombs yet. Where does that leave me..........the only real choice is the auto if I want the tranny to handle high hp reliably. That's the only reason I haven't put the DD clutch and 1-3/8" input shaft in. My dilema is to either sell that stuff new so I can get top dollar........and buy a built auto..........or take the chance and lose my butt dollarwise when the manual fails. I like to go race and go fast, but it's sad to have more power than a truck with a built auto and him show you up. Not sure what to do!

Waylan
Old 03-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PsRumors
As for other statements, I went with the manual cause I can put a $1000 clutch in it and basicly be through.
manual trannies DO break... even 5600's!

and when they do, they don't carry warranties...

all of the big four auto tranny builders have awesome warranties...

the first time you shell out $2500 for a tranny rebuild, you're $3500 into it, and you've got the same tranny you had in there before.

if all you're wanting to hold is 400-500hp, then a manual is AWESOME! I loved my 5sp truck...

but I'm shooting for 700+ on drugs and after spending $2500 on a dual disk and input shaft, and $1500 for a tranny rebuild, I'm at $4k with no warranty on the tranny!!!! for another grand, I've got a tranny that'll hold the power no problem, a lifetime warranty on the converter, and a 100k mile warranty on the tranny. (plus I can actually take it to the strip and lay down some decent times)
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I can tell, with the 727 and 518, all you really need is a torque convertor and valve body to run with the pro's.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=paccool] Stomp has ridden with me and can confirm it holds pretty good.

QUOTE]

Yes it does just fine putting the power to the ground. When I ride in a pickup with a good auto with lets say 300-400hp it feels way faster than mine did at 600+.

kc8ksg Is right about having not to shift too often with the Cummins. Once I get going down the road I seldom have to shift. If I want to pass I just roll onto the throttle. With that said I wold still love to have an auto.

Stomp
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Let me jump back a few posts... if I may. Whats a TV cable? pardon my noobishness. Anyway, I guess, for me, a low power geek who's not the bomber that many of you are, I'd rather drive the straight shift. That said... anyone want to trade ?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as they tell me (over and over and over again) the TV cable is the device that tells the tranny what RPM to shift at. That's about my length of expertise on the subject...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Seems to me they always build more auto vehicles...

Other manufacturer's don't even offer Manual transmissions behind their Diesel's, at least Cryco offer them.

The PO of my truck went to Chrysler and bought a "brand new" transmission, then took it to a DTT distributor near him and had it upgraded. When he bought Mark's motor he took it back and they further upgraded it.
It has the 91% convertor, billet internals, and everything they recomended to him when he called and told them what he was going to do with it.

It's a nice trans and it works flawlessly...the truck accelerates like a rocket...but I miss rowing gears.
My previous truck had a manual, and when I was looking for my first truck it was something that was "make or break"...it had to have a manual.

When I bought my current truck I bought it knowing it had the auto because I knew it had been built.

But the bottom line is, like some of the guys here who would trade their stick...I'd trade my auto for a manual set-up.

Vinny
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

I like the manual in a sports car for the feel but i like to sip iced tea while driving better, plus i'm just darn lazy.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
As far as I can tell, with the 727 and 518, all you really need is a torque convertor and valve body to run with the pro's.
and billet shafts, hub/drum, flexplate, etc.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Straight