1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

auto trans aux. cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:28 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
auto trans aux. cooler

Due to the purchase of a heavy travel trailer I want to add an extra trans. cooler like the factory option. I've never seen one, so I was wondering how and where it's mounted and how to plumb it. Any recommendations on cooler/fan combos?<br>Thanks, Chris
Old 04-17-2003, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:auto trans aux. cooler

I've got one on mine, it's mounted underneath the box on the drivers and is cooled by fan forced air. I will try and crawl under there and check the plumbing...I don't think I will ever get the trans hot enough to see it work, but I might just fool the sensor some day just to see if it does. And, for a measly 12K$ Cdn you can own it and the truck carrying it!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Derale #15800 (25000 GVW) and and #15721 Thermostat and love it. These are available for Jegs and Summit at a good price. I went to the hardware store and bought brass flare fittings and copper tubing to plumb mine.<br>The supplied fittings are AN (37*) but the standard 45* flares are not leaking. The Thermostat has 45* and the cooler came with 37*. Go figure. They don't leak.<br>Mine is mounted on the backside of the toolbox on the drivers side (Similar to factory option).<br>It made all the difference on my last trip to TX. We actually got to tow in O/D for a while on the flat and smaller hills were okay. http://www.swampfoxcustoms.com/hot_shot.htm<br>We were only around 21K GCVW this last trip.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:23 AM

Should the cooler be mounted 'tween the frame rails to a crossmember or outside between rail and bedside? I guess I need to track down a truck with the set-up so I can check it out. What about rock damage?!<br>Chris
Old 04-20-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the Super Duty cooler on mine (dealer installed when new).It mounts in between the frame and bed side on a couple of bed crossmembers.It is protected from rock damage by the end plates extending about 2'' below the cooler fins.The front cooler line is split where it crosses below the bellhousing and has hoses that go to and from the cooler.The hoses are the biggest problem.I am using 1/2&quot; oil resistant hose,it takes about 12',and have had them get weak and blow twice.I am going to try to come up with a steel tubing setup soon.I had to replace my temp sensor that is built into the cooler (wires got snagged) and no local dealer could even find any numbers on this cooler much less the sensor.One dealer called Chrysler archives and 3 week and $120 later I had my sensor.Long story short,I would have been better off with a gauge and a toggle switch!If you need any more info just ask!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:42 PM
DBF

dodgenstein,<br><br>let me give you a few numbers that might help in the future.<br><br>The overall part number (Mopar) for the Super Duty cooler is 82400994. Under that, these are some of the subassemblies:<br><br>04728938 Oil Cooler<br>52005748 Fan Assy<br>04740448 Switch - Temperature Sensing<br>04728939 25' hose - transmission<br>06934065 Hose clamps<br><br>there are a few others, mostly compression fittings and nuts &amp; bolts.<br><br>Regards, DBF
Old 05-02-2003, 12:18 AM

While a shell was being installed on the brick i walked down the street to a dealer that had a few 1st gen.s. There was a w250 CC that had the aux. cooler. I wish I had checked out the plumbing on my truck first, it would have made more sense! In setting up an aftermarket cooler I'm thnking of plumbing it into the line that returns to the trans. from the front cooler. A thermostat would control the operation of the fan. Whadya think?<br><br>Chris
Old 05-02-2003, 09:53 AM
DBF

Others have described the flow to me like this:<br><br>Should go out of trans to the Superduty cooler. It cools if needed.<br><br>Then to the regular cooler ahead of the radiator, where some cooling is done. If it's really cold outside, the fluid can be cool coming out of this cooler.<br><br>So it then goes to the heat exchanger with engine coolant located on the passenger's side of the engine. Since engine coolant is thermostat-regulated, it will warm cool fluid to keep it in the optimum operting band for the transmission. If the trans fluid is hotter than the engine coolant, more heat will be moved out of the trans fluid.<br><br>Then back to the transmission.<br><br>Regards, DBF
Old 05-02-2003, 05:41 PM

So, is the factory sensor in the supply, or the return?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:48 PM

The way I understand the cooler plumbing (w/o superduty cooler) is this; fluid comes out from front of trans (torque conv.) then over to heat exchanger on pass. side, then back to driverside and forward to cooler in front of radiator, then back to rear of trans.<br>Seems like the heat exchanger could actually heat up the trans. fluid to 180* or more after it's been cooled if it's last in line. What's the min. temp. for trans fluid? <br>So, is the superduty cooler used for initial cooling or to achieve the final cooling? Or am I totally confused? ???<br><br>Chris
Old 05-07-2003, 02:59 PM
DBF

bigredbrick,<br><br>You are right on coolant flow. I got under the beast today and traced it. My prior post was wrong.<br><br>With the superduty cooler, it flows out of the front (TC) of the transmission, into the inlet of the superduty cooler, out of the superduty cooler back to the heat exchanger, then to the cooler on top of the intercooler and back to the rear of the transmission.<br><br>To install the add-in superduty cooler, the line out of the transmission to the heat exchanter is cut under the transmission and hoses added to send it to and back from the superduty cooler. The attached picture shows the cut and added hoses at that point.<br><br>Now I can't figure out why it's plumbed this way, either. I guess I'll think on it a while before I post anything else.<br><br>I do have pictures of the underside of the truck that shows this flow if anyone wants them. <br><br>Regards from a puzzled DBF<br><br><br><br>
Old 05-07-2003, 09:11 PM

I have a 92 with the aux cooler and I think mine is plumbed a little different than what you guys have discribed. Mine comes out of the transmission to the passenger side cooler then up front to the forced air cooler then back to the aux cooler then to the transmission.<br><br>This makes the most sense to me. The aux cooler should be the last in line to take out some more heat. I recently replaced my cooler with one I got from Summit Racing, had to do a little adapting (mounting) and seems to work fine. Time will tell, summer is comming on here in the desert.<br><br>I also don't run the temperature switch for the fan, I use a toggle switch hooked to a relay to turn on the fan. I didn't feel comfortable waiting till the fan turned on around 180F. I know for sure now with it wired direct. My temperatures are around 150 to 160F running at 65mph with 2800# cab over camper.<br><br>Jim
Old 05-07-2003, 09:40 PM

DBF, thanks for posting the pic. It is a confusing looking set-up the factory/dealer came up with. When I crawled under that dealer truck I scratched my head-huh? Still seems like the aux. cooler should be last - what's the chance of getting the trans. too cold?!<br>Jim, I'm thinking of getting that cooler from Summit also.<br><br>Thanks, Chris
Old 05-07-2003, 10:38 PM
DBF

bigredbrick: What's the min. temp. for trans fluid? <br><br>The pour temp for ATF+ is -71*f. <br><br>I can't see us getting it that cold.<br><br>DBF<br>
Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 PM

DBF; don't know the min. temp. - most things mechanical have an optimum temp. Your truck might be set up the right way. DTT's site would be the place for those answers.<br>Chris

Quick Reply: auto trans aux. cooler