1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Auto shut down idea needs opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto shut down idea needs opinion

Now that I've done some mods and plan on more. With the EGTs I am seeing and the fact I pull/haul mostly, I thought about a automatic shutdown timer. The one on eBay (Diesel Turbo Timer Ford Dodge Chevy Jeep Chip TTM TLS -Item #160286017600) is the cheapest I found at $99.99+ $9.95S&H. My question is, wouldn't a automatic car starter do the same thing plus have the added option of auto starting my truck. I have installed many before on cars and most have a start delay for the "wait to start" system to cycle. Plus they shut down in 5 to 15 mins when let them shut down the vehicle. This idea came to me after reading the specs/details of that timer. What do you guys think and/or has anyone done/doing this?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I used a Jacuzzi timer (10 bucks at home depot) and hooked it to the battery on one side and to the shutdown solenoid on the other pole.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jer12377
Now that I've done some mods and plan on more. With the EGTs I am seeing and the fact I pull/haul mostly, I thought about a automatic shutdown timer. The one on eBay (Diesel Turbo Timer Ford Dodge Chevy Jeep Chip TTM TLS -Item #160286017600) is the cheapest I found at $99.99+ $9.95S&H. My question is, wouldn't a automatic car starter do the same thing plus have the added option of auto starting my truck. I have installed many before on cars and most have a start delay for the "wait to start" system to cycle. Plus they shut down in 5 to 15 mins when let them shut down the vehicle. This idea came to me after reading the specs/details of that timer. What do you guys think and/or has anyone done/doing this?

The vehicle autostarts that I have used before worked well for cooldown. Set the autostart before turning the key off. When you pull the key the truck will stay running for the alloted time or until you step on the break, hit the button again, etc. Worked good for me. But A new one installed these days starts at $450 for a base model starter.... I used a cheapie one from Sam's club for a bit that worked OK but didn't last very long so I yanked it.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I used a Jacuzzi timer (10 bucks at home depot) and hooked it to the battery on one side and to the shutdown solenoid on the other pole.
Not to hijack the thread, but this sounds interesting, anyone else done this? Will the jacuzzi timer run on 12v? as I am assuming its ussually 110V or so. Do you run the timer in the cab, and have to reset it everytime you turn the truck off?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Awesome, glad to here it works! I bought an auto start from SAMS club or BJs about 7yrs ago and to my knowledge (I sold the truck) the thing is still working. I was looking at the ones on eBay anyway and for the 20 to 30 bucks eBayers want, I think it might be worth the $ to try it. I would have to modify the thing anyway cause most are designed for gassers with electronic ignitions. I would be doing the install, don't like no one working on my truck but me.
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
The vehicle autostarts that I have used before worked well for cooldown. Set the autostart before turning the key off. When you pull the key the truck will stay running for the alloted time or until you step on the break, hit the button again, etc. Worked good for me. But A new one installed these days starts at $450 for a base model starter.... I used a cheapie one from Sam's club for a bit that worked OK but didn't last very long so I yanked it.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jer12377
I would have to modify the thing anyway cause most are designed for gassers with electronic ignitions. I would be doing the install, don't like no one working on my truck but me.
Most Autostarts I've seen have a "diesel" setting that can be set at install. Usually it lengthens the run time once you hit the button. The run can typically be set for something like 6 or 12 miniutes and the "diesel" setting doubles that time. Last one I used also had a setting that was switchable for a "Wait to Start" delay as well.

I yanked mine out cause I didn't really like bypassing the clutch interlock when I wasn't physically in the truck. I didn't have a real good way to do it safely.....
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Isspro Turbo Temp R4130 shutdown unit. It ties into your pyrometer, and shuts the engine down when your EGT hits 300*. This price says it's $286, but I don't remember paying that much. Hmmm. Getting old I guess.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM

I have one with my remote start it works well