1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Atf for A-518 transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look up Fred Swanson on here. he`s supposed to know his Mopar trannys
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Isn't Amsoil the one that keeps your trans cooler than other atf brands?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM

ya amsoil is good stuff from what i have heard, but i can't afford that stuff... if i go synthetic i'd run the valvoline max life atf, but i cant decide between max life atf, dexIII, or type f. i wanna run type f but people seem to advise me against it for some reason... I dont see why there would be a difference with the way type f perfroms in an A-518 over the way it perfroms in an A-727.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:16 AM

i have been in the atf fluid argument since the late 60s. i have use type f in every brand trans out there and have had 2 or 3 clutch type converters that didnt seem to like type f. as far as the rest of the trans parts the only fluid i wouldnt use is that old type A something or other. if it got hot that dang stuff was almost impossible to clean up during a re-build.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

I'm having trouble following (I usually do). Your builder has told you not to use synthetics, however recommends ATF+3? I ask because ATF+3 and ATF+4 are both full synthetic fluids. That's why they cost $6.25 a quart, or thereabouts. If it were me, I'd just call the guy. I think maybe there has been some kind of misunderstanding ( like that one episode of "Three's Company").
Bill
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
I think maybe there has been some kind of misunderstanding ( like that one episode of "Three's Company").
Bill
Um, what is this "Three's company" you speak of?

I've always bit the bullet and ran Valvoline ATF +4, I assumed it was the best. I was always under the impression Amsoil stuff was just a gimmick though, but many people swear by their product. If Amsoil is indeed better I'm not too proud to switch.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Classic (and I use the word classic loosely), television from the late 70's. But...you already knew that, didn't you.
Bill
Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM

atf+3 is not a synthetic.... atf+4 however is, type f is supposed to be a more grabby fluid, makes the transmission more responsive.
My old man had a 1970 plymouth cuda 440-6 pak with the A-727, he had a full manual vavle body b&m shift kit along with a bunch of other stuff done to it, added clutch packs and such, and let me just tell ya that transmission was the best shifting automatic transmission i have ever seen, that thing was so responsive it'd tear your head off when it shifted. Of course alot of it was the power of the engine and the gearing but still, that transmission shifted and shifted right now, no lapping no slipping, like i said it was the most responsive transmission i have ever driven you hit the gas and that transmission grabbed and took off and he ran type f in that transmission along with the shift kit and other modyfications, he also ran a large cooler and a deeper pan transmission never ran above 200 degrees. My old man told me that type f is the best atf for not only shifting, but for controlling the tempature.
Thats the fluid i would like to run, i just dont see why more people do not know that you can run it in the torque flights with very good results, every mopar guy that i talk to with a nice mopar car and an automatic is running type f in there trans.
I just wanna know if there is any reason that type f would perform any different in the A-518 then it does in the A-727? the overdrive and the slightly different valvle body set up are the only differences between the two transmissions that i can see.... they both use alot of the same internal parts.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:44 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Head
I've always bit the bullet and ran Valvoline ATF +4, I assumed it was the best. I was always under the impression Amsoil stuff was just a gimmick though, but many people swear by their product. If Amsoil is indeed better I'm not too proud to switch.
The only reason I switched to Amsoil is because at the time it was the only synthetic I could find. Everything else is Valvoline so I'd probably use it now. I kind figured Amsoil was over glorified too but I thought what the heck, we'll see. I have no complaints so far.

Three's Company, man that brings back memories...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Amsoil is good stuff, main difference between it an other synthetics, from what i understand anyways is they use a group 4 or 5 base stock when valvoline and mobil 1 use group 3 base stocks?
I'm suprised more people do not run type f in the A-518s and A-727s, i know it works well in the 727s but i cant say on the A-518s, but i will be able to say soon, cause thats what i'm going to run in my transmission, after i get the shift kit installed.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM

I have built many 727,s for big block cars & have always used type f in them I am now running atf + 4 Valvoline in both of my diesels with good results.I use to be a Dodge mechanic in a dealership. We always ran want the factory suggested I have noticed the trans shift smoother with the synthetic but for drag racing type f all the way
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM

i'm wanting to run type f in my A-518 for firmer shifting. is there any reason type f would work any different in an A-518 then how it works in the 727s? only difference that i can see is the overdrive unit on the back and the slighly different set up valve bodies? have you ever ran type f in a A-518 sshort?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

type f, dexIII, or maxlife atf? wich transmission fluid out of them three should i use?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can type F, be mixed with type dex at oil change time? Mike.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM

i dont know? i was thinking i would run straight type f if i did, i'm running dexIII now, and my transmission is having problems.... taking it bak to transmission shop tommarrow, its brand new and the irst time they put wrong converter on it, and now its leaking atf around area where converter meets the engine? i was told that maybe they didnt change the pump seal when they changed converters? i dont really know, but i do know im getting tired of all these problems that keep occuring with this transmission, its brand new, dont even have 1000 miles on it yet...
I'm just hoping it didnt hurt anything else, i drove it about 50 miles un aware that it was low 2 and a hal quarts of atf, filled it back up and it seems to be running right, bu im going to ask them to drop the pan and check it out in there to make double sure.

Quick Reply: Atf for A-518 transmission?