1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Atf for A-518 transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atf for A-518 transmission?

I'm trying to find out what other people are using for transmission fluid in the A-518 transmission, i just very recenly had my transmission re-built and the guy who re-built it for me told me not to run synthetic atf's in it, is there a reason why? could he have used a different type of clutch material that does not work well with synthetic atf's?
I asked him if i could run type f atf in it because thats what my old man ran in his A-727 transmissions and he said no to that as well, and then i said well should i run +4? and he said you could run +4 if you wanted too but thats not what i'd run in it, and i said why not? and he said because +4 has alot of friction modifyers that your transmission does not need since you have a non lock up converter.
So then i said what would you run? he said i'd run ether +3 or dexIII or a non synthetic universal atf. I said what about dexVI i have heard it is twice the fluid dexIII is and that it can be used in dexIII applications, and he said oh no dont run dexVI thats a synthetic, he said thats a synthetic like it was a bad thing . So i am wondering what everyone here is running in there non lock up A-518? i went and looked for +3 and can not find it anywhere, so i called my transmission buider and told him i couldnt find +3 anywhere, and he said there is only 1 company that still makes it and we order it in 55 gallon drums, so if you want +3 you can bring it to us and we'll service it with +3, i asked him what my transmission had in it after he re-built it and he said they put +3 in it.
I dont relly feel like taking it to them for them to service because they charge 6 bucks a quart and 5 dollars more for the transmission filter and gasket then what i can get it for from my local parts house. I was checking out the dexronIII fluids and i stumbled across the valvoline max life atf, i called and talked to a valvoline fluid tech and he told me the max life atf is a synthetic universal atf and that it would be ok to use in my transmission, but my builder told me not to use a synthetic? so im confused? is dexIII really my only option? and is it the best option? or can i run type f and be ok? the only diff i can tell is the A-518 has an overdrive to where the 727 does not, and i know the type f fluid works well in the 727s because i know people who is it in there 727s.
Can i run a synthetic? is my builder just not a believer in synthetic atf's? or cpould he have built it with a certain clutch material that does not work well with synthetic atf's? im just confused and picking a fluid for this transmission is a chore lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

I'm no expert with the A518 transmissions, however both my trucks have that trans in them. It SHOULD have ATF +3 synthetic trans fluid in it. ATF+3 has been superseded with ATF+4. Just like Dextron III has superseded Dextron II. And, much in the same way, any vehicle that is recommended to use Dextron II can use Dextron III. These trans were recommended to use ATF+3 synthetic however the ATF+4 synthetic works in that trans just as the ATF+3 does. I hope this helps. If I'm mistaken someone on here will speak up.
Bill
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
bill-d-c is correct. Use the atf+4. Your trans guy is saying stay away from certain synthetics b/c some of them are TOO slippery. For example, I ruined the clutches in a 4l60e using Redline D4.

Stick with atf+4 or heck go with the valvoline max life- I've had good luck with it. The LS1 guys are using it to race with. They use synthetic base oils, but those guys know a lot more than you or I- or your tranny guy.
Read this: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

If you're gonna run Type F, you might as well run John Deere tractor hydraulic oil....

It seems you're not going to believe anyone until you actually talk to a Chrysler drivetrain engineer. This is the 4th time on 3 sites you've posted this question with like 30 replys, all of them good. Bottom line is if the fluid is good and clean and cool, the tranny will last.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 PM

i'm just trying to learn is all, all i can do is ask questions and recieve answers, half the people say +4 half the people say dexIII or universal fluids, it seems like the more performance minded people stay away from +4 in the non lock ups.
And i'm not saying i don't believe my transmission guy, just struck me odd that he was so against synthetics.... he has been re-building transmissions for over 30 years so i know he knows more then me.
i'm not trying to anooy anyone at all and am sorry if i am, i'm just trying to learn more about the subject and get other peoples opinions on it.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Your trans guy is kind of contradictatory, on one hand he says +4 is too slippery, on the other he says typeF is too agressive and old school (it IS old school). IMO it is best to err on the grippy side of things (which is why I won`t use +4). I have just under 1000 miles on a 50/50 mix of low vis hygard and typeF working awesome so far with NO downside I can see but shift firmness is very subjective. None of the fluids you listed will hurt the trans under normal usage conditions so just use the fluid that will give you the firmness you want.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Back in 2007 I was fortunite to have hired Timinva to install a DTT torque converter and shift kit. That was quite a few miles ago and those miles for the most part haven't been easy. I had a boat that weighted over 7200 pounds that was used regularlly and I was delivering tractors for my brother-in-law pulling a 14K gooseneck to PA, MD,WV. I even delivered an Army Duece and a half for a fellow in Hampton VA. I keep a close watch on the trans temp and I never saw it go above 210* F.
All this while running Amsoil universal ATF. I have pulled the pan on the tranny once since then torepair the linkage and so far I haven't had a minutes problem with what we did. I actually cleaned the pan with a few paper towels and some brake clean. IMHO synthetic fluid is the only way to go.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 PM

well if im going to choose a synthetic it'd ether be valvoline max life atf, or valvoline dexronVI.
I have talked to a canadian transmission re-builder and thats all he uses in the chrysler overdrives such as the A-500, A-518, 46rh, 46re, 47rh. He told me that he has checked out every atf and that dexVI is the best atf on the market? but my re-builder said no to using it... so i might just run reg dexIII or type f or max life atf.
Just trying to choose is a tuff call, cause wichever i go with is what i'm going to stick with thru out the transmissions life, i really wanna run type f, but my builder scared me by saing no way? just dont understand why type f would work extremely well in the A-727s and not the A-518s?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Well, here's my 2 cents worth on your situation. I assume your newly re-built transmission has a warranty. If you don't use what your tranny guy tells you to use, you know he will void your warranty. If you use his recommended fluid, and by the time your warranty has expired you've had no issues, then keep using that fluid. That's what I'd do anyway, for what that's worth.
Bill
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
I've been running synthetic Amsoil for about 70,000. No problems yet.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM

ya he reccomended i use dexIII or +3, cant find +3, so if i followed his reccomendation i'd be using dexIII.
He never said using a certain fluid would void my warranty... you'd think if it could thet'd tell you what fluid you can't run. he was just pretty much giving me his reccomendation and opinion. another thing that confuses me is, before i had this transmission shop re-build my trans, i brought it there thinking i only needed a front seal replacement, then found out it needed to be re-built, anyways i asked one of the mechanics in there shop what atf they'd be putting in my transmission, and he said what were you thinking you'd like? and i said well +4 is what i have been told to run in it, and he said well we use a universal atf that works in every transmission except some older ford transmissions calling for type f.
Then when i get my recipt fropm the re-build it says i got 14 qts of +3, and so i went to get a back up bottle of +3 and couldnt find it anywhere, so i kinda think they might have put a universal fluid in it and just put +3 on the recipt?? but i dont know for sure? i
I just dont see why max life atf would be a bad idea? even tho he said i dont want to run synthetic atf, wich i dont know why? the max life has a good reputation and alot of ppl have told me thats what they'd run.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
My $0.02

All ATF4 is synthetic. Run the cheapest, red ATF4 you can find and call it good. Replace as per Dodge FSM spec.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I've been running synthetic Amsoil for about 70,000. No problems yet.
used Amsoil since 25,000. now have over 700,000. on my second trans now I think it great stuff! my $.02
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm only running Dex3, but that's just me. Sounds to me like maybe they are trying to sell you a quart of oil at $7 that they bought in bulk at $3.

The 727 was supposed to run Dex3 til they came out with the ATF+ fluids. On the stick on mine it says it is OK to run dex3 if the proper ATF+/ type 7176 fluid is not available.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM

I saw generic ATF 4 at Pep Boys today for about $5 bucks a quart.(whatever their house brand name was).
Probably could save a dollar or 2 a quart by using Dex3, but for the difference I would go +4.

I also looked for +3 but there was none on the shelf. I would imagine you would be hard pressed to find a store that carries +3 if +4 if it is considered to be backward compatible by the OEM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM

ya i looked in every parts store in town, none of them have +3, i thought about amsoil atf and royal purple atf, but my builder said stay away from synthetics? i'm trying to figure out why? i dont really wanna call him just to ask that, but i might end up doing it, like i said he said use dexIII or +3. if i were to run a synthetic i would run valvoline max life cause its a little bit more affordable compared to amsoil and royal purple and red line, an valvoline makes good stuff. I run valvoline everything right down to the power steering and barke fluid even run the valvoline zerex antifreeze.

Quick Reply: Atf for A-518 transmission?