1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ARRGH ! Stripped oil drain plug...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARRGH ! Stripped oil drain plug...

So I'm getting to know my new truck here. I got around to picking up three gallons of diesel oil, a filter, and found my way underneath it.

Someone along the line stripped the drain plug. It has an "M" stamped on it, I'm guessing this means Metric, and that someone used a standard socket. Not only did they strip it, but they wrenched it on as tight as possible. I was even wondering if the **** thing screws out backwards or something, it's on so tight.

I mean, I got a grip on the two remaining flats with the largest pair of vise-grips I have...a really really tight grip...and just proceeded to strip it some more. Now it's more or less rounded off. That oil is black, too.

So what are my options here ?

Remove the entire oil pan ?

I know better than to drive an EZ-Out into automotive steel. Been there done that. I do have an Alden drill-out kit, but that would be the absolute last resort.

Anyone been through this ?

TIA.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could weld a nut to it.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Are you using a china built vise grip or or a real "vise grip" Some of those cheapo ones don't hold worth a crap. If that doesn't work go to Sears and get a bolt remover set. Not sure what it is really called but it looks like a socket and has flutes cut ito it so it grabs the bolt head and tightens down on it as you try and remove it. I have some at work, and they work really good, and they will take a hel of a bite on some stuck bolts.
DS79
Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would put the vise grips back on. Its frigged up anyway. I would get them as tight as you could then pound them with a hammer on the jaws to set them in. Re tighten them in same place and shock the head of the plug with the hammer while you have force on the grips. It is lefty loosey righty tighty. Sometimes the hammer blows will help get things moving. Welding a nut to it might also work. I have done that as well on other stripped stuff.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Oh, they are vise grips all right, the really huge kind.

Yeah, I've tried those sockets from Sears on a stuck valve cover bolt on my old truck, didn't work. Maybe I'll give 'em another shot.

Nowhere to weld stuff around here. Might have to pay a shop to do that if it comes to it.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 AM

If the pan is steel you can drive a 12 point socket one size smaller onto the stripped bolt head with a hammer, carefully. Then put your breaker bar on the socket and slowly try to turn it. I have been able to do this in several situations.
Hope it helps and good luck.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM

Oh, use your hand to push up on the socket/breaker bar to help hold the socket on the head.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 AM

Well, I have to drive to go get a new drain plug anyway, so this looks like tomorrow afternoon's project.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:16 AM

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...0Change%20%231
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Tried a small pipe wrench? They will work a lot of times when a set of vise grips just slips because they grip tighter as you push harder.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanB23
Well, I have to drive to go get a new drain plug anyway, so this looks like tomorrow afternoon's project.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.
I recognize your sig off the 6.5 forum dieselplace.

I'd say the weld the nut idea is the best,

but first i'd try a pipe wrench or "monkey wrench". they work wonders
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 PM

try a pipe wrench or drill it and use an E Z out, one of the ones that you screw into the hole like a reverse E Z out i guess u would call it. or maybe heat it up.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The no fail method is to use the vice grips to hold a nice size nut on top of it, fill in the hole with weld. The plug gets a double wammy, a new surface and the welding heat shocks the threads. that is also the favored method of removing twisted off exhaust studs.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM

could also grind the plug a little so u can put a different wrench or tool on, grind it in such a way that u could put adjustable on
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Got It !

GOT IT !

Used an "Irwin" brand "Bolt Grip" socket, size 11/16. Pounded that sucker on with a big hammer, and then used a large wrench on it's flats. That thing was in there so tight that when it gave, I almost gave myself a bloody nose when my arm and hand flew back !

So now I've moved on to the oil filter. I moved an air tube from the turbo out of the way, but I still can't get a grip with my regular old oil filter wrench.

Does this unscrew counter-clockwise when viewed from the top or something weird like that ? Or, more likely, is it just glommed on there as tight as the plug ? That oil was so flithy it was blackish brownish grey. No water I can see though, but it is dark.

What do you guys use, just a big pair of vise grips ? Is there some screw that has to be loosened before removing the filter ?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: ARRGH ! Stripped oil drain plug...