1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ARB air-locker?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB air-locker?

So Im really dead set on having a selectable locker. I wanted an OX locker (cable actuated) but the don't yet make one for the Dana 70.

Anyone running and ARB?

Any input? I need to have this built before Dec 26.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 AM

not in my CTD...but I run them front and rear in my Jeep...

and absolutely love them...the majority of problems people have with them are installation errors...mainly with routing the air lines...

one other item is that a lot of people have noticed gear lube spitting out of the vent tube after installing one...it's because of improper drain holes:

now, it specifically lists D30/D35/D44 and Ford 8.8, but may be something to check when you get ones installed...

Greg
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 AM

they other advantage to an ARB is , if you hook up a air tank you can have a small amount of on-board air also..

FYI in my 6 years of wheeling I have only seen 1 ARB go bad on trail. and all it did was engage locker and we could not get it to disengage.. but not a big deal guy drove jeep home kinda like if he had a spool in back
Old 12-11-2006, 09:53 AM

I have run ARB lockers in several Jeeps, and never had a failure. The are tough, and reliable.

Check page 3 here for the part number http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215110.pdf then talk to Mike at www.4x4rockshop.com he is a big ARB dealer and has great customer service. I have bought all my ARB stuff from him.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:01 PM

I wouldnt run any locker besides an ARB, I have them in the front and rear of my jeep and have never had a single problem.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I broke the cross shaft in an arb in a dana 35 when i collapsed the housing.

My front dana 30 broke 3 knuckle joints with an arb before i had to ditch the axle. dont use a front locker recklessly.

I have seen some air line failures, but usually due to installation errors.

I use an air locker in a dana 60 front on my jeep now... no problems yet. Works well.

I prefer detroit lockers in the rear. I find a detroit much more useful on the steet than an open diff, and you cant drive an arb locked on the pavement. The detroit will always give you more traction, wet, icy, muddy, whatever.. but you have to respect it, or you can spin right off of an icy road. If you do wip the backend around on a corner the detroit has good results straightening back out if you stay on it.

My driving habits can put me on super steep or muddy roads a couple times a week, i would never be able to make them in 2wd without the detroit. Because these trucks have such horrible flex in the suspension, a rear locker addition makes them much more capable.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 PM

If your truck is your daily driver that sees lots of street use then I would not put a detroit in it, an ARB is your best bet.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockjeep73
If your truck is your daily driver that sees lots of street use then I would not put a detroit in it, an ARB is your best bet.
Care to elaborate?

I'm going on my third year of research before I buy I locker, but I don't seem to be retaining that information very well...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Most people do recommend keeping lockers out of street rigs.

Tire wear increase and potential handling problems are the main reasons to not use a locker on pavement. Both are legitimate reasons, but effects are not that bad in my opinion.

Personally, I have been driving nothing but detroits on the pavement for the last 11 years. I love em.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Begle1
Care to elaborate?

I'm going on my third year of research before I buy I locker, but I don't seem to be retaining that information very well...
Like Diesel Junkie said, tire wear and handling (especially in wet conditions) are concerns. For a trail rig I would probably recommend a Detroit in the rear, because they are bulletproof and cheaper than an ARB. But for a daily driver you cant beat an ARB, also bulletproof and the selectability from an open diff to a spool at the flip of a switch cant be beat.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what is a "spool"?

I don't know how picky I am, but the unit on my wishlist is whatever one let's me spin both tires when I do a launch or donut. The one-wheel donut just doesn't get the ladies.

The advantage of open differentials is that they're much less likely to fish-tail in low-traction conditions, correct? I've never really known many people who would take an open diff over a limited slip due to safety reasons, but I guess selectability would be a nice feature.

How much would the ARB go for?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 AM

A spool essentially locks both axles together, so that both wheels ALWAYS travel at the same speed and both get the same amount of power applied to them.

An ARB is a selectable locker. When turned off it acts as a standard open diff. When turned on it acts as a spool.

A Detroit is an automatic locker. Under acceleration it "locks", acting as a spool. When coasting it "unlocks" allowing the wheels to travel at different speeds which makes turning smoother. But it is still far from an open diff or posi as far as driving habits and tire wear.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 AM

A spool really shouldnt be driven on the street at all.

If you are on the pedal hard in a turn, a detroit can pop and suddenly kick you into a tail wip, while an open diff would normally just spin the inside tire.

Straight line, a detroit will always give you more power on the street.

Selectability is nice, but a good example is a buddy of mine who has a factory electric locker in a newer toyota. This guy cant make it up his driveway even when its dry out without throwing it into 4WD, (or engaging the locker.) ( the factory toyota is interlocked to 4low before allowing the locker) I can easily make it up his driveway with my detroit. This guy is also constantly pulling 1 legger burnouts. He is also a bit of a jackass too.... but thats a different story.

Another thing to take note of is that most all light trucks and SUVs these days come with a limited slip. A lot also have selectable locker options. The take away from that is that you do need something in the back.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 AM

i have them and always will have them. Not in my dodge. but in my trail rig which has a 70. fortunatly i got it before they jacked the price. your luck to find them below 900 bucks now....
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been wanting the ARBs too, but they are $850 a pop so I don't think I will do this any time soon... will have to make do with LSD in the rear. I'd love to have selectable lockers for hunting trips. So far I got good chains and buddies with more trucks, hopefully this will help replace the lockers!
-P

Quick Reply: ARB air-locker?