1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone use Timbrens on the front?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone use Timbrens on the front?

Just wanted to share my experience with this. I've had them on there for a couple weeks and must say I am quite impressed. This truck has the Skyjacker soft rides with 1.5 inch lift in front. They seemed a bit on the bouncy side to me. The Timbrens smooth that out quite a bit, and reduce body roll as well.

It did take a bit of extra work to get them installed properly, though. The mounts needed moved inboard about 3/4 inch to clear the shocks. I think these Nitro shocks must be thicker than stock. And of course the extra lift required an additional spacer to set them up right, "in contact" with the spring.

At any rate, a highly recommended front suspension upgrade, if anyone is considering it.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long did the install take? I'm thinking about getting a pair for the front for my plow in the winter.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Ace
Banned

Should take only a few minutes for a stocker. It took all day to modify the shock mounts and fabricate adjustable spacers for mine. I was a little leery about how close they were to the shocks. In the stock location they literally about touched the shocks. Since they bulge out as they compress, that seemed like a bad thing - potentially putting lateral pressure on the lower shock tube. Maybe not a problem with skinnier shocks. My shocks are the Nitro units that go with the Skyjackers, so I thought maybe they were fatter than stock and that is what caused the fitment issue there. Dunno.

But I see you've got a 2005 model with a completely different front suspension, so my experience is probably not applicable.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 PM

I am very interested in doing this. What part number did you use? Do you have any pictures of how you mounted them?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Ace
Banned

I'll get some pics up tonight or tomorrow. I did post pics of the rears here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=114078

That was so much more difficult I completely overlooked the fronts, which were easy in comparison.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Are these in leu of a sway bar? I guess I don't understand what they are for...
Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Ace
Banned

They are basically just rubber helper springs. A bit overpriced IMHO, but seem to work very well by design somewhow, I guess.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

need more info

what are they ?? air bags ?? I like the idea !! I have been thinking about the rear springs & how I could inprove the ride with them ?? or just carry bags of cement for weight ? my wife bounces all over ,its funny to me ,but not to her !!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Ace
Banned

You won't notice any difference in the rear unloaded. Their intention is to only come into play under heavy load, providing a ride-levelling effect and increased stability.

The fronts OTOH, are designed to ride "in contact" with the spring, and work more-or-less all the time. The effect would probably be less noticeable with stock springs. But they really firmed up and reduced the bounce effect I was feeling with the Skyjackers. It no longer has that tendency to nose-dive over big bumps.

In either case, they must limit overall spring travel to some extent, so maybe not adviseable for an off-roader.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:04 AM

If I remember correctly, they act like a bump stop - in that when the springs are compressed, the Timbrens cushion it so they don't compress much farther, and thus create a smoother & more stabil ride.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Ace
Banned

That's correct. They actually replace the stock bump stops. They are just like big honkin' bump stops that do alot more than just cushion the shock when you bottom out. They would actually prevent the truck from bottoming out under exreme load.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 AM

Has any one installed the timbrens on a stock 1st gen?

did it improve the ride......empty or loaded?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

timbrens

what is a timbrens ? I"ve never heard of them ?were do you get them ? is that a simitruck part ? what about a air bag set up on the front ?? anybody have any ideas if they might work ??
Old 09-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Ace
Banned

Look at the pics behind the link I posted higher up in the thread. I ordered mine from a place in NJ called Albany Spring. Best price I coud find after searching for awhile. I'll post pics of the fronts tonight after I get home from work. I was trying to decide between Timbrens or air bags and decided to go with Timbrens based on their simplicity and reliability. Fortunately, they seem to work pretty good as well.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by loco one
what is a timbrens ? I"ve never heard of them ?were do you get them ? is that a simitruck part ? what about a air bag set up on the front ?? anybody have any ideas if they might work ??

I see that you live is california. SIX STATES carrys them!

Thay have a display of it........at least the one up here does!

was playing around with one just the ether day when i was geting axle joints for my Jeep.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Timbrens on the front?